May 02, 2024, 05:37:05 AM

News:

Made in China!!!!

Started by FatJohn, December 13, 2008, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alien

Quote from: eglideic on December 17, 2008, 07:19:16 AM
WE USED TO BE PROUD TO MAKE AND PURCHASE OUR OWN GOODS.  WHAT HAPPENED?

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV ! (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

End of thread right here!! We can not compete. We keep hearing we want to much money/wages. Even if we would work for $1.00 a day with Liability, unemployment, SS, Medicaid, EPA, OSHA, etc we could not produce goods as cheaply as those other nations. We are our own worst enemies.

adayrider

Quote from: eglideic on December 17, 2008, 07:19:16 AM
WE USED TO BE PROUD TO MAKE AND PURCHASE OUR OWN GOODS.  WHAT HAPPENED?

Joe Smith started the day early having set his alarm clock (MADE IN JAPAN) for 6 a.m. While his coffeepot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on a dress shirt (MADE IN SRI LANKA), designer jeans (MADE IN SINGAPORE) and tennis shoes (MADE IN KOREA). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his watch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to the radio (MADE IN INDIA) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) and continued his search for a good paying AMERICAN JOB. At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while. He put on his sandals (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN FRANCE) and turned on his TV ! (MADE IN INDONESIA), and then wondered why he can't find a good paying job in.....AMERICA.....

WELL SAID  :dgust:

Flat Dog

I purchase American women over imports as much as possible.

Flat Dog

Or would that be rent? Rent, I think...

bouncingVman

"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

Shadowdog

Hi Folks.

Business 101: Identify the market. USA A+; Produce acceptable quality. USA B+; make or buy decision. USA D; Invest in infrastructure. USA, it doesn't get any worse. F-. Long term planning USA; Can't see past the quarterly report F-.

American business has identified the need years ago and basically said in effect, stick with the formula, this down turn is only a glitch in the data. America has turned into the home base of non essential industries; I can't wait to see just how much money the news papers will ask for to keep them afloat. Congress just handed out 700 Billion dollars to help the American consumer, specifically people about to loose their homes. Once the Bush Bums got their hands on it, they decided that it would be better to give it all to the fat cats.

Want to know who is to blame? Look in the mirror.

Best to most,

Shadowdog

BTW Communism is an economic system, and like Capitalism, it does not exist, none of the basic systems can work without modification and strict controls.
Best to all,

Shadowdog  Smoke um till the wheels fall off!

fattmann101

try fox creek leather for American made stuff. And for less than the dealer wants!!!
and it is top notch leather and workmanship!!!
Buy American, the job you save may be your own.
A local shoe factory shut down a few years back. All the people who worked there bitched about losing
their jobs. But they were all wearing $9.00 chinese shoes purchased at walmart. DUH?

Skullfork

Here's a little info that can be helpful since a lot of times now you don't know what country an item is made in:

The  whole world is scared of China making 'black hearted goods', and for good reasons. Can you differentiate which one is made in the USA , Philippines , Taiwan or China ? The first 3 digits of the barcode is the country code where the product was made.

Sample - all barcodes that start with 690.691.692 to 695 are all MADE IN CHINA.
471  is Made in Taiwan (see photo below)

Nowadays,  Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products 'made in China', so they don't show in which country it is made.

However, you may now refer to the barcode, remember if the first 3 digits are 690-695 then it is Made in China .

00  ~ 13 USA & CANADA
30  ~ 37 FRANCE
40  ~ 44 GERMANY
49  ~ JAPAN
50  ~ UK
57  ~ Denmark
64  ~ Finland
76  ~ Switzerland and Lienchtenstein
628  ~ Saudi-Arabien
629  ~ United Arab Emirates
740 ~ 745 -  Central America

All  480 Codes are Made in the Philippines.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Flat Dog

So all super expensive HD accessories and clothes have bar codes that start with 690.691.692 to 695? ;)

FLH124

Thanks Evil....good to know where my money will not be going !!!
sj

Skullfork

Quote from: Photo John on December 19, 2008, 03:48:15 PM
So all super expensive HD accessories and clothes have bar codes that start with 690.691.692 to 695? ;)

...super expensive but piss-poor quality it seems.  On more than one occassion I've had to take an HD part that was made in China/Taiwan to the machine shop at work and modify it a little to make it fit!

Skullfork

Quote from: FLH124 on December 19, 2008, 04:07:34 PM
Thanks Evil....good to know where my money will not be going !!!
sj

Same here FLH, but sometimes you don't really have a choice when there's no other option.  Still though, I make every effort possible to buy American whenever I can.  Recently I bought an LED flashlight that had a small American flag and USA printed below it on the front of the package, so I assumed it was made in the USA, right?  Well, got it home and then found on the back bottom edge was the same American flag, but with "Made In China" super imposed over top of the image of the flag!! Took it right back to the store for a refund and let the manager know why ...they're getting tricky, so you've got to be careful.

Also recently, got a Buck knife as a gift and sure enuff, made in China ...even Buck  :angry:

Rusty Steel

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on December 19, 2008, 03:31:12 PM
Here's a little info that can be helpful since a lot of times now you don't know what country an item is made in:

The  whole world is scared of China making 'black hearted goods', and for good reasons. Can you differentiate which one is made in the USA , Philippines , Taiwan or China ? The first 3 digits of the barcode is the country code where the product was made.

Sample - all barcodes that start with 690.691.692 to 695 are all MADE IN CHINA.
471  is Made in Taiwan (see photo below)

Nowadays,  Chinese businessmen know that consumers do not prefer products 'made in China', so they don't show in which country it is made. 

So Evil…you work at Walmart.? Lol.  :hyst:

Just kidding, not that, that is a bad thing.
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

FLH124

Sorry for the sincerity but Walmart is the seed that started the big retail trade on just everyday items. I boycott Walmart  and have not been there in many years.
I am really bummed to hear about Buck knives. Use to carry an old BUck 110 on my belt.
sj

Rusty Steel

Agreed, I try not to go to Walmart.
What happened to Buck knives? Did they go under?
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

Skullfork

Rusty- no disrespect to anyone who works at Wal-Mart, but that's the LAST place I'll ever want to work for a lot of reasons.

FLH- aprox 40% of Buck knives are now made in China ...

Skullfork

Quote from: Rusty Steel on December 19, 2008, 07:41:22 PM

No, they're still in business and are family owned.  Here's an image of a letter I received from them in response to a letter I sent them stating I'll never buy a knife from them again after being a loyal customer most of my life. I have no problem paying a little more for a quality made in the USA item, and the knife I got that was made in China was sub-par quality ...

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

FSG

Glenn W

December 20, 2008, 06:27:13 AM #68 Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:34:50 AM by Glenn W
Quote from: Evil-Eagle on December 19, 2008, 08:02:37 PM

No, they're still in business and are family owned.  Here's an image of a letter I received from them in response to a letter I sent them stating I'll never buy a knife from them again after being a loyal customer most of my life. I have no problem paying a little more for a quality made in the USA item, and the knife I got that was made in China was sub-par quality ...

I hate to see companies thinking like that. I keep seeing "special" KitchenAid mixers, microwaves, whatevers being sold at Walmart for a lot less, overall it just wrecks the good name of the entire lines when the shoddy stuff underperforms. Buck knives have always cost more, and they've always stood for BEING more. I don't care if it's only 1% of their product line, drop the Buck name from that 1% or it'll ALL be diluted IMHO. They will lose their identity just to be able to sell them at Walmart!!!??? Screw Wallyworld! They should have kept the prices as high as needed and sold them only through high end dealers like gun & sporting good stores. Keep the prestige high as the quality and foks will be proud to ante up. How many good knives does a person buy a year, anyway? I didn't even look at prices when I got mine 15-20 years ago-I wasn't going to get another one in my lifetime so who cared? What if Caddilac made 20% of their cars in South Korea but they looked the same as the ones from the here? Does anyone think they wouldn't be affected negatively in people's eyes?
I know a certain US motorcycle company that I believe is going down the same slope............................when you celebrate your 105th birthday with special parts made in China it says a lot about the next 105 years. At least when the 200th is held in Bejing, Elton John won't be the headliner :hyst:
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Skullfork

Fatboy_SirGarfield ...that makes me sick to me stomach!

Deye76

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on December 19, 2008, 08:02:37 PM

That letter from Buck® is why it's important to boycott Walmart. I realize in some places thats difficult because their  all that is left. Meanwhile the land fills grow, because you have to re-buy the walmart junk every 2 years. I bought a Buck folding knife in 1974, wood handle leather sheath. Still have it holds an edge beautifully. Recently recieved a similar style Buck folding knife as a gift. Plastic handle, nylon something or other sheath. Won't hold a edge. Gonna have to replace it in 2 years at this rate, but won't, because I still got the old one.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Flat Dog

Sorry for the sidetrack, but what is the best knife sharpener available? Still a good ole stone and oil? I just found an old 50 or so year old Buck style knife, and want to use it...need sharpening tho. Thanks!!!

Clintster

I bought a Lansky sharpener, just went to look to see if it is made in the US.  No markings as to were it was made.  I do know this last week I had to re-do two seperate HVAC repairs because of Chinese made junk parts.  I have been boycotting Walmart for a while now, but no escaping the Chinese made products.  That is until we start contacting the folks we do business with and buy products from.  Worst customer experience ever was with Dell and the offshore tech support.  I see they are, for a surcharge, offering US tech support.  I was raised that you buy American if you can... Some products it is getting hard to even find a product that is made in the US !
Drive fast, take chances

Flat Dog

Clint-are the sharpeners easier but just as good as a stone?

HeritageSpecial

Quote from: Photo John on December 13, 2008, 06:58:51 PM
I never figured out why people wanted to play for clothing that advertised that retailer's business anyway...

I wear plain shirts and jackets when riding. $1 a piece for plain shirts at the outlet store.

I'm with you PJ-- I never advertise for a company that rips me for P&A. Plain clothes it is!

Regards,
HS
2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.