May 02, 2024, 12:08:25 AM

News:

Made in China!!!!

Started by FatJohn, December 13, 2008, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatJohn

Stopped at my local dealer. And they're clearing out some parts and clothing. So I'm looking around at some jackets and coats.
Started looking at the sizes and holy s#*! there it was, made in china right there over the size. So I start looking at the other
clothing and everything that I saw said the same thing.
The girl came up and asked me if needed help finding a size. I said no but you could help me find one thats made in America.
The first jacket I looked at was on sale for $230 down from $415. That jacket probably didn't even cost them probably $30 to make.
I'm not trying to bash the MoCo but how many Harley's are they selling in China?
I always assumed it was American made. Hopefully the bike still is.

John

help-u2

not just the clothes john.
PARTS.
i bought a $8 O-ring for the carb. factory harley package.
made in china printed on it...

my 03 will be my last new harley....

bad enough we have electrics, forks, brakes , carbs (on and on) and wheels made in japan, now we have bearings and such from china....

04glide

China is taking over the world. I just installed my new made in china motor mount and I think they planned on it being a piece of crap.

FXDBI

Globalization=make all the parts in a 3rd world country where labor is cheap , and labor standards are nonexistent. They are all following the Wal-Mart approach profits first, people and jobs who cares. Harley will be the next bunch wanting a bailout....Bob

Memnar

I work for Intel, they want to do the same thing, new factory in China already there.
Albuquerque, NM.

96flhpi

No offense FJ, but it must've been quite a while since the last time you looked around at the dealers.  Ain't nothing new to this story.

FLTRI

December 13, 2008, 03:31:39 PM #6 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:35:20 PM by FLTRI
"following the Wal-Mart approach profits first, people and jobs who cares"
Funny thing is, if you ask a Wal-mart employee more than likely they will tell you they are happy working for Wal-mart.
Prices there are usually cheaper than other places, and they have quite a selection over virtually everything needed for the home.
Not defending Wal-mart, or any other retailer, but I think it is a mistake to assume the employees are not, in their opinion, happy and taken care of.

Most all retailers have been forced to buy from China unless they don't care to sell there stuff.

What I don't understand is why we can't simply put tariffs on China products which could raise the price enough to justify buying US made products. I know if my whatchamacallit costs $1200 made in china and there was a US product for $1400, I'd opt for the us brand, but that is not the diff. It's more like the same thing costs $4000 in US, maybe due to much, much higher labor rates as well as benefits, kinda like what we see in the auto industry right now.

If you remember, tariffs saved Harley's butt in the 80's. And it worked so well they cut off the tariff earlier than the planned ending date. :smiled:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

82fxrstroker

QuoteWhat I don't understand is why we can't simply put tariffs on China products which could raise the price enough to justify buying US made products.

Where do you think the money for the bailout is coming from?  China and Japan hold over 40% of the US debt.  US politicians are not going to bite the hands that feed them.  BS?  Yep, but america's greed for profits and cheaper products have done us in.  As much as I'd like to see tariffs on Chinese imports, it ain't going to happen any time soon unless we pay them back.  Yea right,  they flipp'n own us like it or not  :sink:

FLTRI

Guess if we put tariffs on Chinese goods they could call the note due, but what would they get? :crook:

Also, if we go down we won't be buying anything. I would assume China knows we feed them and I would imagine they want to preserve there market here?

So, if I get what you are saying; we are doomed? So shall we all pack up and move to Australia? There's plenty room there for all us I suppose and we can go back to living off the land. LOL!

82fxrstroker

QuoteSo shall we all pack up and move to Australia?

I don't think I have a problem with that right now.  I've lost my job (const) due to economy and an abundance of cheap illeagal labor that's still working were I live.  What do ya do?  :dgust:

FLTRI

Sorry about losing your job, that really sucks, especially when you know it went to illegals, and not simply due to job completion.
Unfortunately I rely on guys just like you to make adecent living so you can afford to buy Harleys and have me tune them. :crook:
Good luck in finding work and keep the faith that things will change for the better....soner rather than later.
Bob

04fatty

Chinas' exports are way down these days and they're starting to feel the crunch as well. This thing is global.

uglide

This may be a little off subject, but it does have to do with our economy and transplants and the help that our government give to them while denying our own companies.  Good article, in my opinion.

L8R~
U

http://www.freep.com/article/20081213/COL01/81213055

autoworker

Most politicians are pretty much treasonous these days.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

82fxrstroker

Bob,
      Thnx for your kind words of support.  It is amazing and disgusting  that not only has our corporate bought government sent our jobs overseas but has also allowed who ever wants to come over here illegally (a federal offense by the way) to take the rest of them. I better stop there.  Trying to stay positive!  :up:

Flat Dog

I never figured out why people wanted to play for clothing that advertised that retailer's business anyway...

I wear plain shirts and jackets when riding. $1 a piece for plain shirts at the outlet store.

JamLazyAss

I couldn't resist jumping in here for a second. I'm sure you won't mind when you see why...

Seeing the title Made in China hit a nerve.
In Syracuse, New York, there is a factory that has been in business for over 100 years.
Their product is dinnerware, plates, cups, etc..

It was on the news the other night that after 100+ years, the plant is closing.
AND moving to, you guessed it, China.

And the final insult?
The company name is/was Syracuse China.
They announced that they are going to carry the Syracuse China name, only now, being made in China too.

WAKE UP AMERICA !!!
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Skullfork

December 13, 2008, 07:21:20 PM #17 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:22:52 PM by Evil-Eagle
Moving jobs to China doesn't lower our costs whatsoever as consumers like they try to make us all believe ...it's because it increases the profit for the company and their stockholders that move offshore!

They always want to blame the U.S. worker as being overpaid to justify moving offshore, when on average wages are only about 5% of a companies overall total operating costs in the U.S., but it's the first and only reason given just to make the American worker look greedy and the poor company has no other choice but to close and move.  In actuality, the real reason they move offshore is because there's no EPA, no OSHA, no Workers Comp, no Social Security, etc. That's where they're saving money, not because of our wages ... it's all about CORPORATE GREED!!  

FXDBI

Bob wasn't talking about jobs at Walmart,talking about the thousands of jobs lost due to "Its now made in China". I live in Alberta and we have lost thousands of man hours of work to the Chinese,they bring them to FtMcmurray and send them home when there stint is done.  Sure Walmart sells for less because they now make it in China. I avoid Walmart,it has put to many little mom and pop stores out of business. Actually not a fan of any of the big box stores.  If price was my bottom line i wouldn't have bought a H-D..........Bob

HDRDR

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on December 13, 2008, 07:21:20 PM
Moving jobs to China doesn't lower our costs whatsoever as consumers like they try to make us all believe ...it's because it increases the profit for the company and their stockholders that move offshore!

They always want to blame the U.S. worker as being overpaid to justify moving offshore, when on average wages are only about 5% of a companies overall total operating costs in the U.S., but it's the first and only reason given just to make the American worker look greedy and the poor company has no other choice but to close and move.  In actuality, the real reason they move offshore is because there's no EPA, no OSHA, no Workers Comp, no Social Security, etc. That's where they're saving money, not because of our wages ... it's all about CORPORATE GREED!!  
[/quote

Very true! and did you see the news about the thousands of China toy makers < damn junk ....ripping there place of work apart Because the USA is not buying there garbage this year for Christmas!

Its about time :up:

Glenn W

Quote from: FatJohn on December 13, 2008, 12:12:59 PM
Stopped at my local dealer. And they're clearing out some parts and clothing. So I'm looking around at some jackets and coats.
Started looking at the sizes and holy s#*! there it was, made in china right there over the size. So I start looking at the other
clothing and everything that I saw said the same thing.
The girl came up and asked me if needed help finding a size. I said no but you could help me find one thats made in America.
The first jacket I looked at was on sale for $230 down from $415. That jacket probably didn't even cost them probably $30 to make.
I'm not trying to bash the MoCo but how many Harley's are they selling in China?
I always assumed it was American made. Hopefully the bike still is.

John
Well, the forks have been Japanese for um, forever? I know for a fact the "105th" emblems on the saddlebags with 'em were made in China........that's been going on for a long time. remember back in '97 when they tried that "3 US Flags designation for motorcycles? one for US Owned, Made, & Content. I bought a Honda Valkyrie that year it had 2 flags like the Road King, cept the RKings were for US Owned & Built and the Valks' for US Built & Content. Can't remember offhand what the % had to be for Content, but it really surprised me.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

FLTRI

Hopefully, as we go into this next "phase" of economics and politics things will start changing for the better. I personally believe no one intentionally caused this economic crisis, but it came about from many things hitting at the same time.
I think we could have weathered each storm individually but when several storms hit simultaneously it pummeled our economy.
JMH,...and ignorant opinion,
Bob

HDRDR

Top Broker Accused of $50 Billion Fraud
Sons Turned In Madoff After He Allegedly Told Them His Investment-Advisory Business for the Wealthy Was 'Giant Ponzi Scheme'

With people like this the USA is in Big Trouble IMO went on for many years! I trust no MOFO in the Government or stock market....

82fxrstroker

Well.....You know things are bad when you can buy a senate seat on e-bay.

HDRDR

lol...I seen that and it was a JOKE like the rest of them :cry: