May 02, 2024, 06:16:22 AM

News:

Made in China!!!!

Started by FatJohn, December 13, 2008, 12:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLH124

December 20, 2008, 11:41:37 AM #75 Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 11:48:45 AM by FLH124
Sir,
      I know the flag, was meant to be humorous, but I for one am very offended by the
direct and indirect meaning of the post. I believe others are also.
my $.02

Glenn W

Quote from: Photo John on December 20, 2008, 09:11:23 AM
Sorry for the sidetrack, but what is the best knife sharpener available? Still a good ole stone and oil? I just found an old 50 or so year old Buck style knife, and want to use it...need sharpening tho. Thanks!!!
I prefer a stone(s) w/oil (no oil arguments, please :teeth: ) Have a two-sided one I've used for 20+ years now. First use the coarse if needed and then the finer side. Stones take longer to use and more practice to get the right edge but do have advantages. They can't heat the blade and affect the temper and they remove a lot less material. If you are going to keep a good knife for a long time that's a big deal. I just use a dry wheel that's part of an electric can opener on my cheapie pocketknife, but only an oilstone stone on my Buck & old Barlow
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

FSG

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on December 20, 2008, 08:03:12 AM
Fatboy_SirGarfield ...that makes me sick to me stomach!

Quote from: FLH124 on December 20, 2008, 11:41:37 AM
Sir,
      I know the flag, was meant to be humorous, but I for one am very offended by the
my $.02

Gents it wasn't posted to offend (direct and indirect meaning ?), it's merely an example of all things, including those sacred now being made in China.  The home grown USA products are not the only ones now made in China, most Australian products now have that familiar 'Made in China' sticker on them as well. I'd bet the the Oz Flag comes out of the same China Factory.

Clintster

The Lansky uses stones and it has three different textures.  The idea of this style is it is idiot proof.  They have rods set out of the base to ensure you get the angle you want.  Various angles for different uses and types of knives.  They different models, I think I picked up this one at the local sporting goods store for around $40.
Drive fast, take chances

Glenn W

Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on December 20, 2008, 12:10:15 PM

Sir,
my $.02

Gents it wasn't posted to offend (direct and indirect meaning ?), it's merely an example of all things, including those sacred now being made in China.  The home grown USA products are not the only ones now made in China, most Australian products now have that familiar 'Made in China' sticker on them as well. I'd bet the the Oz Flag comes out of the same China Factory.

I'm offended only by the fact it was made in China and somebody actually bought it, NOT by your posting of the picture. Why shoot the messenger?

HIPPO

Quote from: Photo John on December 20, 2008, 09:11:23 AM
Sorry for the sidetrack, but what is the best knife sharpener available? Still a good ole stone and oil? I just found an old 50 or so year old Buck style knife, and want to use it...need sharpening tho. Thanks!!!

Get the one with diamond and ceramic, had one like for 30 years.

LINK

The diamond coated plates just slip over the ceramic for rough sharpening. Seem not to be included here. Maybe ask Spyderco if they still make them. Otherwise identical.

Skullfork

Quote from: Glenn W on December 20, 2008, 03:11:30 PM
Quote from: Fatboy_SirGarfield on December 20, 2008, 12:10:15 PM

Sir,
my $.02

I'm offended only by the fact it was made in China and somebody actually bought it, NOT by your posting of the picture. Why shoot the messenger?

Glenn ...same here

HIPPO

Holy fcuk

108 bucks with the diamond plates now.
LINK

Glenn W

yeah, prolly more than Walmart charges for the Chinese knife  :hyst:

China twin 88

Two notez....

During the Olympics, (I live in Beijing just a high speed chase from the US Embassy) I ordered a pin, to show support for the American Team, from an American company.  The pin was so unique and garnered so much attention that Chinese constantly ask me where I got it .. and would often make an offer, especially the market sales girls who had a hobby collecting pin from foreign guest.  The American quality as a standard is something that does not go unnoticed by the general public in China.  Now the lack of purchase power by Americans to buy the goods produced in China is not going unnoticed as well. Factories are closing.. and the Government will have to focus on domestic spending to create jobs for the masses...they are not a docile as reported ... and are as quick to anger as they are to show nationlist feelings.  Perhaps this will alter the manufacturing process...to a domestic direction .. but it will not bring back the family companies who took pride in their production... scaling down.... family own business....prodcuing for your own community so as to have direct feed back from your neighbors and co workers as to the quality of the product is what in my opinion, made the US the quality powerhouse it was when I was a kid..but the free flow of products world wide is also important to maintain  a atmosphere of trade and advancement of business between nations....just wish that countries could specialize in kinds of products instead of "cheap" production. It is my belief that based on the current structure...many factories will fail here .. but in an instant can be reorganized and began production ....  

Once on a trip to Nan Chang to look at the factory producing the Changs... the assemble line was closed down .. and the workers what was left were putting the bikes together (poorly) by hand.. a walk down the street illustrated where this once highly produced workhorse of the Chinese Army was now being made (better) by private builders/factories.  The one rule about china.. is there is no rules...

By the way .. they have Walmart of China...seen boxes of big bull frogs in the food sections...
LMMC/LAMF

Pilgrim

Quote from: 82fxrstroker on December 13, 2008, 06:26:46 PM
 Bob,
      Thnx for your kind words of support.  It is amazing and disgusting  that not only has our corporate bought government sent our jobs overseas but has also allowed who ever wants to come over here illegally (a federal offense by the way) to take the rest of them. I better stop there.  Trying to stay positive!  :up:

Drop by this site for some interesting material on the subject of jobs and illegal aliens.  Full Disclosure: I'm chairman of the group.  Look particularly at the button about American Jobs for American Workers.  If you like what you see, tell your politicians about it.
http://www.nafbpo.org

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

JamLazyAss

"It is my belief that based on the current structure...many factories will fail here .. but in an instant can be reorganized and began production ...."

China Shovel.

First off, let me say that I enjoy reading your posts. They are usually from a slightly diferent perspective and helps to keep me focused.

Second, what is it that you think enables the Chineese factories to fail, and in an instant be reorganized and begin production?
It sure doesn't appear to be that way in the US. Is it a political reason, civilian, or something else?
I believe the US too has these abilities, but the trade agreements between the US and many other countries are unbalanced.
Also, when a factory closes here, all too often it (the business or service) has been moved overseas to China or elsewhere.

I don't blame the Chinese or other countries. I do however, blame the corporate business people in the US for excessive greed.
I don't know how the global economic issues will be corrected.

But what I do know, the fault DOES NOT lie with the worker. Be-it American, Chinese, Canadian, Japanese, or anyone else.
We are all trying to make a good living for ourselves and our families.

The ill feelings must be focused on the root of the problems.
To identify who they are, just follow the money trail.

This has gotten way to political.

What year is your Shovel?
Is it an FL or FX?

Talk to you soon.
I have to shovel more snow. It's 5 degrees F outside.  :tea:
JamLazyAss

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

HDRDR

China twin 88

The reason I say that the factories reorganize quickly is just the nature of China.. as it has Little regulation as to these factories..unless they are somehow brought into the spot light as was the milk (melamine) scandal.....then "Katey bar the door" cause heads will roll...it is much like they don't bother with a law til it is broken and becomes obvious or causes a problem.. no roadblocks to check pipes and nose kind of stuff...once while working at a company in Changchun, the government dug a ditch across the entrance to the complex.. and apparently no one knew it was going to happen or maybe someone just didn't pay attention .. both happens frequently ..... more in the outlying areas than in Beijing...anyway.. when it came time to drive the compnay bus out for a meeting.. they could not go out.. so they simple knocked down a wall and drove out over the rubble.. the next day .. there was a gate there.... in a flood it is not unusual for troops to make them selves human sand bags to hold back the water...what to me seems lethargic on the part of the Chinese somehow .. things get done .. and quicker than many would think... still it is hard to live and work here as it is like "bazaro" world sometimes...

I was walking down a street in a southern manufacturing town last year .. and came across several pregnant women making clutch plates in a makeshift factory... now I bought some just to see what the quality was like and to tell the truth .. I have found better quality on disk made in the the late 60's ... which .. i am always on the lookout for the older products produced by the army and not by the civilian factories as the PLA produced better stuff....last week I found tires.. old but with better quality rubber than those produced now.. of course ..I am talking about the parts for a CJ750 military sidevalve...22 horses... and 6 volt pos ground...

Now the important question.. the bike I found was a butchered 83 FXRS (stolen once but I got it back and the courts made the theves pay me around 5Kusd for my trouble)... that had Jap parts stuck on .. front end and so forth... shopped around on Ebay .. and slowly started mailing the parts over.. only caught once.. and they let it go.. as I told the customs ... it was an 83 and couldn't be registered any way (bikes are good for 11 years)...and I was just building an art project... I rode it this last summer the way it was.. fearing for my life...but with straight pipes... it woke up my neighbors.. but I always take delight in knowing .. there is no demoracy without V twins....let freedom ring..

LMMC/LAMF

Glenn W

umm didn't it COME with Japanese (Showa) forks? They do now :wink:

help-u2

LOL glen.  yep showa.  hell, my 1974 has jap forks...

you see, i used to rant on how i disliked japanese bikes,  and their parts on my harleys.
(cause of that war thing my dad fought in)

that was then.

now the quality of japanese stuff far exceedes the china crap  being sold by harley... sad...very sad...
(you know china, those guys that supplied the weapons in that little war i fought in)   

China twin 88

showa us a prt and we can copy it...was the old saying .. yea the 77 had some jap parts.. I didnt know the front end was but certainly the carb and so forth .. many went back to the Bendix and some went on to SS or Mikuni

the jap stuff I was talking bout was kind of cheap after market and a front end designed for another bike...

There was an American (rich) who brought some harley's to China in the late 80's to ride...and then left them here.. my bike is one of them...

Funny though.. the HD shop here doesnt keep up with the stateside ones.. for example .. they have none of the Christmas promotions...and have not offered the Cross Bones yet.. but Hon Kong has a muchbetter selection.

I am in no way espousing on the quality of chnese parts...with the Chinese Military bikes.. the best parts were produced by Army owned factories.. and the difference in quality is visible...

LMMC/LAMF