April 27, 2024, 01:39:06 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Using rotor/primary to time

Started by otis, July 11, 2010, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otis

July 11, 2010, 09:57:35 PM Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:29:45 PM by otis
Hello All,

A few years ago, I drilled divets in the rotor and inner primary so I could play with timing (without looking through timing hole)..  I'm replacing my ignition now and I lost my notes of what the divets meant.

Description - Sitting on the ground looking at the primary side of the bike; I rotate the rear wheel counter-clockwise to simulate a running engine.  I have two sets of divets on both the rotor and primary.  The divets on the rotor are 45* apart.  The marks on the primary are 5* apart; one at 3 o'clock and the second at 4 o'clock (looking through primary inspection) .

Knowing my anal self, I believe I marked the rotor with two seperate markings to show both front and back cylinder TDC's.  That explains the two sets of divets on the rotor.  But, I also have two sets on the primary.  These about 5 degrees apart.  I may have put a second divet on the primary to show 5* retard (to use with dual plugged heads).

To jog my memory; I have a two questions-

1.) Lets say there are (2) on the rotor 45* apart and only (1) mark on the inner primary and .  Would the marks on the rotor hit the same mark on the primary, but 45* apart?  This is, can (2) rotor marks and only (1) primary mark be used both front and back cylinder TDC's? 
2.) When looking through the primary inspection - There are two marks on the primary - 3 and 4 o"clock.  If using a timing light; would the second divet be retarded timing?  The rotor is spinning counter-clockwise; it hits the first mark and then the second mark 5* later.....  I'm thinking that if you told the motor that the mark 5* later is TDC; then it's 5 degree retarded; Right?

Let me know your thoughts....

Thanks,
Pat