May 05, 2024, 12:06:06 AM

News:

150 on rear 02 bagger

Started by Admiral Akbar, December 16, 2008, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

So what the best way to fit a 150 on an 02.. Add pulley spacer, mill the caliper?

Not sure I like using just an 0.2 spacers as can't make a lip to hang the pulley on unless I cut the wheel lip down to 0.1 inches. Max

eglideic

Stay with the stock size tire.

dale3dale8

Max,

I don't know about a bagger but on my 02 Fatboy I had to take a screwdriver and roll the fender under the fender strut just a little, It's not enough to tell it was done. Everything else cleared.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: eglideic on December 17, 2008, 06:24:19 AM
Stay with the stock size tire.

Next thing you'll be telling me is to keep the motor stock.  :wink: Max

Don D

Make yourself a pulley spacer. I can't remember the thickness I made but it was roughly .175 which IIRC is not commercially available. The pulley will damn near hit the swingarm but it does clear and the rubber flap on the guard needs to be trimmed too. Fit well on my bike but YMMV due to tires they are all not the same profile, I ran a Metzler of unknown origin. Another option for more $ is change the pulley and belt to the newer narrow version. Not sure when they came out with it but this should be closer to plug and play.

Don D

Admiral Akbar

"Not sure when they came out with it but this should be closer to plug and play."

Don,

You know me.. I don't do plug and play...  :teeth: Max

Don D

Me either which is why I machined my own. Better fit on the bolt un-threaded portion and the exact size needed. The Metzler was close to the belt and hit backing up (no problem) and the pulley was close to the swingarm. The tire was close in the fender too but a bit of that was the tire was not centered in the fender (factory OEM fit) but my front to rear alignment was perfect so I avoided messing with wheel spacers and potentially messing up the critical alignment.

FLTRI

Here's how you can get at least 1/4" more fender width:
There are 1/8+" spacers between the fender and the frame that can be eliminated. You must cut down the thru-nuts that the washers ride against. This will spread the fender at least 1/4".
Note the fender normally does not fit snug against the rear fender supports. Sometime there is as much as 1/8" gap. Remove the supports them and spread the fender by hand so the fit snug.
This is all I can remember for fitment for 160mm width with 1/6"+. Also had to remove the riveted skirt on the belt guard.

HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Don D

Hmmm
How about the belt hitting the tire
IIRC with the wide belt even a 140 is very close and hits backing up.

FLTRI

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 17, 2008, 09:18:01 AM
Hmmm
How about the belt hitting the tireIIRC with the wide belt even a 140 is very close and hits backing up.

Yep, gotta use a spacer. I put a Duece 17" wheel on my bud's bike so a s[acer was not necessary.

GoFast.....

December 17, 2008, 03:30:16 PM #12 Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:32:04 PM by GoFast.....
Max, another thing you have to deal with is the bolts hitting the tire so in 03 they went with a internal threaded spcacer

part no.59050-03
           59088-03
           45550=03 holds wires in

I wish I could remember how fat of tire I used on that 02 fatboy. I know it looked good
Ithink in 03 they went to a thinner pully and belt
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Admiral Akbar

"I can't remember the thickness I made but it was roughly .175 which IIRC is not commercially available. "

In doing that. It seems to me that you don't have anything to hang the pulley on.. The lip that the pulley slides onto is about 0.190 wide. With a 0.175 spacer you can't extend the lip using the spacer. Say I wanted to make the spacer 0.300 wide (this is probably too long) then I can cut a step in the spacer 0.200 deep for the old lip and make a new lip on the spacer that is whatever width I want. I'd have 0.1 " of spacer to support the new lip.

I understand what you are saying about tracking straight. Don't want to mess with it.. Still may end up taking some material off the caliper.. If I were staying with wire wheels I could move how the rim centers over the hub but I picked up some new takeoff 08 FLHX wheels off of ebay. Want to give them a shot.

Gofast, Thanks for the info one the nuts but I seem to have plenty clearance. The nuts arlready seem like the short ones.

Max

Mike52

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 17, 2008, 03:30:16 PM
Max, another thing you have to deal with is the bolts hitting the tire so in 03 they went with a internal threaded spcacer

part no.59050-03
           59088-03
           45550=03 holds wires in

I wish I could remember how fat of tire I used on that 02 fatboy. I know it looked good

Barry, he's working on a bagger, not a FatBoy, your parts listed don't apply.

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

GoFast.....

Quote from: Mike52 on December 18, 2008, 07:53:17 AM
Quote from: GoFast..... on December 17, 2008, 03:30:16 PM

part no.59050-03
           59088-03
           45550=03 holds wires in

Barry, he's working on a bagger, not a FatBoy, your parts listed don't apply.

Mike
Your right it id diffrent
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Billy

Bruce,

I put a '05 swingarm on my '00 FLH with a 150 tire, I made a 1/4" pulley spacer with c'bore for wheel lip and step for the pulley, I used longer bolts as well. I did mill 1/8" (IIRC) off  the caliper and add an axle spacer on the left side of the same amount.

The bike tracks straight, handles well and no wobbles. I can take my hands off the bars at 80mph no problem.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Don D

Bruce
The dimension I gave was just the pulley spaced distance and not the overall height of the spacer including the counterbore extension. You can mock it up with washers to determine what size is needed. If you have access to tooling extra thick washers they come in handy and are precise size. If the wheel you bought has a Dunlop on it that will be an easier fit than the old Metzler I used.

Admiral Akbar

"The dimension I gave was just the pulley spaced distance and not the overall height of the spacer including the counterbore extension. "

Don,

This is what I was assuming. If the extention from the hub is 0.190, when you try to fit a 0.175 spacer, you can not make a counter bore extension in the spacer since the wheel extension is more than the width of the pulley spacer.. I'm liking Billy's way the best right now.. The hardest part about trimming the caliper is bleeding the brakes...   :wink:   UPS tracking says my wheels are at the house..  :smilep: I'll be using a Brazillian Metz on the rear but want the bike to handle real 150s also..  :embarrassed:

BTW did you ever find that luggage rack?

Bruce

Don D

Sorry not yet on the rack.
It's yours when I get the POD unloaded by the first week of the new year.
I see what you are saying. I must be jacked up on the .175 dimension. What I do know is that as soon as you are at about .030 off the swing arm with the pulley you are about ideal. I never messed with the caliper. After PHD training they drilled into us the importance of preserving the factory front to rear alignment so I never messed with it. I like Bob's fender trick.

Admiral Akbar

Don,

Just want to make sure you didn't forget...  :teeth:  It's very possible that the lip on your wheel was shorter then what I've seen.. Bruce

black_bagger

So Bruce... did you eventually install the 150 on your 02?  I picked up a low milage 02 Classic that I'm converting to a Street Glide-style custom.   Ordered a new set of rims today - going with an 18x3.5 rear and a 21x3.5 front.  Sales guy told me a 150 Metz will fit the 02 with no problems.  I'm not so sure after reading this and a few other posts.  I don't mind a simple mod like a pulley spacer, but really don't want to get involved in much else...even removing the caliper to mill down 1/8 inch.  Interested in your experience with the install.  Anyone else feel free to share your experience with installing a 150 on pre-2004 baggers.  :teeth:

FLTRI

Gotta love those mental midgets they have selling bikes.  :wtf: You can fit a 140 no problem, and a 150 will fit with the right combination of parts and mods.

fatboy

You will have to mill your caliper down 1/8" to 3/16" and recenter wheel under fender, its offset! Will need longer spacer on left side. Also, to do it right, check bolts/nut heads under the fender to get the most clearance for new tire. I changed out to flush mount T-nuts to get most amount of space for 160's. Some tires are larger than stated size (150 might be 154) Avons are larger than Metzlers and Metzlers are larger than Dunlops E3. Check this site for Dim's. --http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Avon-VenomAM41andAM42.htm

hrdtail78

Are you doing this to your bagger?  Always took you as the resident anti-bagger guy.
Semper Fi