May 01, 2024, 10:31:02 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

waaaaaaaaaay OT pellet guns

Started by hotbagger1, December 19, 2008, 11:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slo-poke 03

I have an rws barrel break cocking. Its pretty good, adjustable trigger and good accuracy at its intended range but I don't shoot squrriels with it, I feed them sun flower seeds. I get 50lbs bags of the things at the farm service, they come when I shake a can full. Any way I have no doubt it would do the job though, it'll go through a piece of plywood at close range.

sundog1258

RWS Diana 34, slayer of several cat food fed possums and coons at my house.

RK101

I'll never understand why people feed wild animals.There wild. Leave them alone. If they start depending on you for food and something happens that you can't feed them they will either force there way in or they will die. Especially if they were young when you first started feeding them.  Worse yet if you should have a party and the squirrel decides that food you put out is for them and not your guest and is willing to do battle over it. The humane society has more than enough animals for you to feed if you feel the need to feed animals. Plus you'll probably end up with one of the best friends you'll ever have in your life.
I was a home improvement contractor and a carpenter for quite a few years,(over 40) and trust me when I say I made allot of money do to the damage squirrels can do to a home. Everything from fires to digging holes in fascia boards and vents  to coming right through the roof to get in.  I wouldn't feed one of them any more than I would feed a rat. A squirrel is nothing more than a rat with a tail. I'm pretty lucky and I only have to pop one off every couple years. It seems most of the population in the neighborhood gets run over by cars coming down the street. Most of them if you leave them alone will not bother you, but every once in a while you will get one that can be aggressive towards your pets and children and then it's time to break out the air rifle.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

redrokit8

I can also personally vouch for the Sheridan Pump Model.
It's a very powerful little sucker when you give it 10 pumps.
You ask how do I know? Back in 1957 I was hunting for just about anything that would move and I had my trusty Sheridan pumped up 10 times for the kill. I spooked out a Jack Rabbit from the bush,went to raise the gun up and mistakedly pulled the trigger and that little pellet went right through my little old cowboy boot and lodged itself in my right toe bone. So here I am, a 12 year old cowboy who had to limp home and tell the old man I had "shot myself in the foot"  :hyst:
So, years later I'm taking my Army draft physical and they ask me if my previously wounded toe impaired me in any way that would qualify me for 4F status. Being a testosterone charged young lad ,I said hell no, I'm 100%! That statement almost cost me the ability to return home and ride Harley Davidsons for 41 years so far.
So,if you all happen to shoot yourself in the foot, at least take advantage of your misfortune.
Vietnam Vet 66-67, 4th & 25th Inf Divisions CIB
LZ Hope
'09 FLTR  Roseland NJ

hotbagger1

adayrider
i just posted that link for an example , i ordered the gun through my local dealer 345.00 no shipping charges  I also  have a .410 & a .22 but i live in a quiet neighborhood in the city
and wouldn't be able to get away w/ shooting either one of those guns.so it's pretty much worth it to me.

wayzalot

"My life is based on a true story"

RK101

hunter

I really like my Webley Beeman Tempest.  They're reasonably priced and surprisingly accurate.  My creatures haunting my yard have felt its final sting.  It's accurate enough to hunt squirrels and quiet enough to not scare them off for long.  Find a deer feeder and a 12 pack and your day is complete.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

mrmike

Hotbagger if your planning on putting a scope on that air rifle keep in mind that you should use an air rifle scope. The type of recoil you get from an air rifle will sometimes knock the crosshairs out in a standard rifle scope, I know it's hard to believe..... but it does happen.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

texaskatfish

Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

RK101

blacknchromehd

Mine is pretty loud so I use a 1 liter pepsi bottle as a silencer...nut case behind my home is trying to bust me for shooting those little bastards...

Stew huh...I tried them breaded and fried...not much more then a small meal...

Bill
If you own one you should ride it...not polish it..not look at it...ride the dam

xxxflhrci

Squirrels are fun to watch till they start tearing up your crap.  The squirrels that used to be at my house chewed up the edges of our plastic patio furniture and the motor cover on a brand new John Deere mower.  When they weren't chewing up my crap, the were lounging in the walls of the neighbors cedar sided house.  They gnawed a hole in a board, pull the insulation out and scattered it all over the yard. 

With that said,  I have a Chinese TS-45 rifle that I bought 20 years ago.  It will pop a squirrels head out to about 25 yards.

http://airgunner.org/?p=42

CB caps outta a .22 rimfire will do the job and make next to no noise.  They aren't much more powerful than a .22 air rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

Rags722

Squirrel...... nothing but a rat with a bushy tail.  If God wanted them protected, why did he invent BB guns? :hyst:

Fast Copperhead

The RWS Diana 350 Magnum is an excellent choice. within it's workable range is will shoot smaller groups than a .22 long rifle. Less noise and cheaper to shoot. The break barrel type are a much better choice that the pump up guns.