May 04, 2024, 01:55:56 AM

News:

Which new HD is best value for money?

Started by Molly, December 23, 2008, 12:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

In my local dealership today and noticed a new Electra Glide Standard priced at around the same as a Softail Standard. It seemed like a lot of bike for the money (though not my cup of tea) and a good $4,000 to $6,000 (NZ) less than a RK Classic or Fat Boy.

And most overpriced HD? I'd say maybe the SE bikes.

Any thoughts?

Reddog74usa

The EG Standard is the best bang for the buck. As you said "a lot of bike for the money"
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Kansas

I'd say the Super Glide is the bargain. It has all the basics without any of the frills with lots of parts readily available to turn it into whatever you want. Plus the price is right. I'd say worse value is the Screamin Eagle FLH (Ultra?). $35,000 for a gussied up dresser?  I don't think so.  I can just hear the dealer at trade in time explaining why I am getting a tiny fraction of the up front retail on that thing for a trade.  H-D had one on their 2009 demo ride here and I recall thinking who on earth would buy that thing?  The filler panels between the bags and the back fender looked so ticky tacky, the paint was so gaudy, and yet it was really just another boring dresser.  $35K?  They have to be kidding.

Princess Butt

For the touring line, the EG standard is the best bang for the buck, if you don't want the frills. If you like having all the stuff, then buying it on the bike is typically the best bet for most people. Sure, you can buy a stripped bike and add all the stuff, and when you add it up, it's slightly cheaper or slightly more than buying a fully loaded Ultra Classic. However, once you add the labor to do all this work, it becomes clear that buying one already done is probably cheaper.

I've been tempted by the SE bikes. We went to a dealership a few months ago and they had an '08 SE Ultra in white and silver. Gorgeous bike. We currently ride an '06 Ultra, but I've spent so much money getting it where I want it, that trading for an SE just doesn't do it for me. I would take a beating trading it in, and quite frankly, I kind of like them after a while. When they're new, I'm paranoid until I get the first stone chip. Since the fairing on the Ultra is nicked up pretty good, I figured I would keep it a while.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

egstandard

I thought the EG Standard was a good deal also. I bought an 04 new. Got a tour pak here on HTT that needed some work for $125. Don't want a radio so I'm good to go.

PoorUB

When the wife and I started looking for a new HD we were thinking Low Rider, untill we rode one, then we tried a Softail, but which we liked, but when we added up all the accessories we needed to ride it on short trips it got expensive quick! After some argueing with the wife we rode an Ultra. There was no way we were going to buy an Ultra according to her! We got on and rode about two blocks and the little woman was sold, a bit farther and I was too. For us a typical Sunday ride is 300-400 miles! For the type of riding we do the Ultra was a good deal!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

still_on2_wheels

The scooter that you ride on, and not stare at online is the best deal you will ever own.

Confucious

Shiney side up please.

Dennis The Menace

I would agree, the EG Standard is a great deal for the money.  Not a lot of chrome and goodies, its basic in appearence (doesnt enve offer a full range of colors).  But, its all the things you need in a touring bike, a blank canvas if you want to add pretty parts.

As for SE bikes, in 2003 when we had 4 feet of snow in the streets, I picked a SE bike apart to see how much it would cost to build, versus buy a SE bike off the floor.  Parts on the SE were about 10% less than buying off the shelf, across the board.  And, no labor to install any of it.  So, the SE is a GREAT deal, if it is setup the way you want it (chrome, motor, lowered, etc).  The only way to get a better deal is to buy all the parts from Jenny and install yourself.  ;-)

yeah, I was bored that day...sorry.  lol

menace

Ultrashovel

The EG Standard is a good value for the money but the Ultra Classic has all of the accessories that you need or want for a long trip. Of course, it's more money but it has:

Tour Pak
Cruise
Lowers
AM/FM/CD/CB/Weather with front/rear controls
Four Speakers
Full Instruments/Dash
Pin Stripes, even on Vivid Black version

Those things aren't absolutely necessary but they are very expensive if you want to add them later and they make riding easier and more interesting. I had a 1993 FLHS (just prior to the EG Standard (FLHT) and I got tired of not having a radio, Tour Pak and cruise on a long trip. Also, the Ultra price has stayed fairly constant for the past five or six years.

I vote for the Ultra. I have a 2004 version and I'm keeping it.

simmz

Black FLHR Roadking Standard....$16999.00
I thought about the E-Glide Standard but I don't like the silver engine as much as I do the black and chrome.

simmz
Smoky Mountains Tennessee

Big Dan

The best value is the one you want at the price you're willing to pay.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

frito1

December 23, 2008, 09:09:32 AM #11 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:15:28 AM by scoot-r-trash
When I bought my FLHT in Jan. '01 I had a chopped tour pak (which cost about the same as the king size), backrest pad, HD radio, turn signal/brake light modulator, and an oil cooler installed prior to delivery.  Since I was buying new the labor was thrown in, no charge. Total out the door it was still ~$1500 less than what they got for a FLHTC.  Money that I promptly spent on performance upgrades and still had a little surplus compared to the cost of the FLHTC.  Besides that I don't care for the chrome, bling, and such.

s-r-t
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

DGlide04

I think the E-Glide standard is overlooked by a lot of people looking for a touring bike, it is a lot of bike for the buck.  As much as I love my RK Standard, if I was in the market for a rock solid, no fuss touring bike w/faring, the EG would be my choice.  You can add what you want/need and if you don't want/need all of the other bling, then this is the one.  Unfortunately, I'd bet if you buy all of the goodies to try and turn it into an Ultra, you'd pay way more than the cost of an Ultra in the long run.

CndUltra88

The One You Paid in Full and do not owe Mother HD Credit or any other Credit Company for that matter.
Seasons Greetings All.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

coolingfin

Quote from: Molly on December 23, 2008, 12:51:59 AM
In my local dealership today and noticed a new Electra Glide Standard priced at around the same as a Softail Standard. It seemed like a lot of bike for the money (though not my cup of tea) and a good $4,000 to $6,000 (NZ) less than a RK Classic or Fat Boy.

And most overpriced HD? I'd say maybe the SE bikes.

Any thoughts?

That seems odd to me... in the US the EGS is about $1,000 more than a FB, about $1000 less than a RKC, and the same price as a RK.  The numbers you've quoted convert to about $2300 USD less than a FB and $3400USD less than a RKC.  IF that's the case I'd definitely buy the EGS.

fxstdavew

If I were in the market I would go for the standard I'm not one for all the bells and whistles. There is no way I'd buy new.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

RK101

JMO for the money. The Dyna Super glide, Softail STD, And the EG std.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

88b

I bought a new FLHT in 06 , a few weeks before they announced the 96ci bikes   :dgust: but I still liked it, even got used to the colour. sold it when I got the RG , but I'd buy another one.

neale

The EG standard is the best value for money H.D.......I have one in my garage and love it. I prefer the silver motor as opposed to the black one. As for a sound system I run an I-Pod attatched to the bars, saved a few thou there on a stereo. The base model Dyna is another H.D. bargain........BUT!!!!!!!...... so is an 883 Sportster, a 1200 kit set me back 320 for KB pistons and 200 for the rebore......God I love Sporties. 

Snorth

When I realized my sporty just didn't have the gas capacity to make it in between gas stations on the trips I wanted to go on, I went and looked and really liked the way a road glide looked, that started adding all the things on it that I wanted for the long distance trips I do and came to the conclusion that an ultra classic already had all that stuff and it would be cheaper to buy an ultra classic than the road glide and add everything, so now I have an ultra classic and a sporty

longrider1951

Nobody mentioned the FXDC Dyna Custom. If you're looking at he Dyna Or Softail lines the Dyna custom offers about $1,800 worth of upgrades for about $1,000 over the base Dyna.
There's nothing more dangerous than a resourceful idiot! (don't ask how I know)

Kansas

OK, I recognize I am too busy to dream through the catalog, but I did check on the H-D site at 2009 bikes, and what the heck is a Softail Standard?  I'm cheap and if it is cheap maybe I ought to rethink my options. Why isn't it listed as a model?

Flat Dog

Personally I would only buy new if going to a touring frame for the stability issue, and wait till year end or right after. If a dealer has the MSRP attitude, spend a day calling around.

All depends on your riding style, really. Touring, I opted for the Ultra since everything plus crap I would never use was already bolted on, and I paid just over a Glide standard.

Used Twinkies:

Bar hopper/hot rod? Dyna.

Hardtail look without the spine jarring ride? Softail.

Fat boy has always been way too much $ in my book-heritage is a better buy.

Now what I have a hot rod evo with a fresh top end, I can't even ride the Ultra-seems like a fat slow pig even at 101 HP. So comfy it puts me to sleep. ;)

RK101

December 23, 2008, 11:28:23 PM #23 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 11:34:00 PM by RK101
Kansas
Maybe they stopped making that model. If they did I didn't know it. If I didn't want to do longer road trips and had room in the stable I'd still have my 01.
IMO I thought it was a great looking bike, with very little chrome.  Almost the exact same bike as the Night Train. What the night Train is to black the Std was to polished/Brush aluminum
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

JONNIEROCK

The Electraglide Classic IMHO is the best bang for the buck. You get the black and chrome motor, full gauges, tour pack with the nice back rest, Sweet stereo, with weather ban,MP3 player, AM /FM, saddlebag guards, front bumper. All for free. I know a pile of people who bought a standard, thinking they were saving a couple of grand, but when they got done they had more into it than a Classic, and it was worth less. You pay an extra 2 grand over the standard, and if you look, a Electraglide Classic of the same year, miles and condition, will always sell for 2 grand or more than a comparable Electraglide standard, so if the resale is 2 grand more, I figure you get to use that stuff for free.
                                                    Jonnierock
You think you have problems. My first wife died, and my second one won't !!!