May 09, 2024, 01:39:31 AM

News:

The Big Ride- What's your plan next year?

Started by Bakon, December 23, 2010, 02:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakon

I am planning Pittsburgh to Vegas, flying wife there and picking her up, 4 days
to California coast (somewhere above LA), 5th day
up to San Fransico, 6 and 7th days
over to Yosimite National Park, 8 and 9th days
to Reno (drop off wife for flight home) Day 10
then back to Pittsburgh. 11-14th days.
5600 miles in 2 weeks. Got 3 extra to spare on the end in case...
Beginning of August so Sturgis will be happening on way home...could stop for T-shirt but
been there and know it's not worth the extra miles for the traffic.
Then again...
wasting time

truck

Alburtis Pa to Maggie Valley NC to get together with OFOPOS friends.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

inspector

I'm planning on retiring the 1st of July,Then it's from W.V. to Alaska...Good LORD willing...Hey Bakon,Yosemite is the prettyist the 1st or 2nd week of June.

smittyon66

Quote from: truck on December 23, 2010, 02:45:53 PM
Alburtis Pa to Maggie Valley NC to get together with OFOPOS friends.

Me too. I'll take other trips too, but very little planning and plans always subject to change.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

bxbutch

Bacon when in Reno, Lake Tahoe is just over the hill if you have never been there dont miss it Butch 

kik

Spring time, the wife and I are headed back to FL to visit the folks. On the way back we'll putz around in MS and TN for a couple of days then back to Chicago area. I'd like to tool down to Arkansas and maybe into a little bit of Texas but I don't know if the budget is there. I still have to pull her motor and fix the oil pump gear.

Jeffd

Bakon

wasting time

Snuff™

December 23, 2010, 05:00:42 PM #9 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 05:12:06 PM by Snuffâ„¢
Ohio/Glacier Park/Sturgis/Ohio

-Snuffâ,,¢ :beer:

May stop and have a few beers with Scurvy in Montana :beer:
Pending PVC air lines. :hyst:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Big Dan

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Scurvy

Quote from: BAKON on December 23, 2010, 02:22:40 PM
I am planning Pittsburgh to Vegas, flying wife there and picking her up, 4 days
Bakon, lol done that twice so far, once vegas, once Austin. Pretty fun just ridin' with no agenda other than being at the airport on time to pick up the wife.
Ray - lemme know when you are thinking of being in Utah.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

Dennis The Menace

December 23, 2010, 05:25:35 PM #12 Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:22:20 AM by Dennis The Menace
Bakon, if you have the few extra days, I would continue north of SF and cruise the Oregon coast to Astoria (or Cannon Beach, and head east on I84  (or Washington 514) through Columbia River Gorge over to Yellowstone, if ya can swing it.  You will enjoy it.

Also, we should be moved out to Lake Las Vegas by early summer, so let me know when you and the wife are in town and come on over for dinner or drinks or ???

Dennis

Dennis

Princess Butt

We plan to go west, from Virginia, out to Colorado & Utah.

I need a good ride right now.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

les

Quote from: Jeffd on December 23, 2010, 04:34:43 PM
from Montana to Deadhorse AK in June.

What do you do to make sure you don't run out of gas between Coldfoot and Deadhorse?

Jeffd

Quote from: les on December 23, 2010, 07:10:47 PM
Quote from: Jeffd on December 23, 2010, 04:34:43 PM
from Montana to Deadhorse AK in June.

What do you do to make sure you don't run out of gas between Coldfoot and Deadhorse?

carry some fuel but should not be an issue. We are doing it on KLR's so 6 gallon tanks and over 50mpg.

ric27

Myself and my two amigos will be heading out of middle Tennessee around the 1st of June to go east To Maggie Valley and pick up the Blue Ridge PKWY north to VA and then west into Kentucky and then back down into the north central TN and on south home. We will take about a week. Our motto; Ride Slow and Stop Often.

R
On a Big Twin at last!

blulimited

deals gap sometime in June and Sturgis / Yellowstone in August

panz4ever

Kali to Virginia and back, Gonna take the central states getting there and come back through the south on the return. Plan on using secondary roads cuz I don't like the interstate.

smittyon66

Scurvy

Quote from: Snuffâ,,¢ on December 23, 2010, 05:00:42 PM
Ohio/Glacier Park/Sturgis/Ohio

-Snuffâ,,¢ :beer:

May stop and have a few beers with Scurvy in Montana :beer:
Pending PVC air lines. :hyst:
If you do survive those air lines, I look forward to it.
'05 FXST, '10 FLHTP, '77 FXE
Clinton, MT

rkrcpa

With any luck another visit to Maggie Valley.

SoonerSoftail

Even with putting 12 to 15k a year on the bike I've never ridden anywhere on an overnighter. I plan on going to Blues, Bikes & BBQ this summer.  :bike:

Bakon

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on December 23, 2010, 05:25:35 PM
Bakon, if you have the few extra days, I would continue north of SF and cruise the Oregon coast to Astoria (or Cannon Beach, and head east on I84  (or Washington 514) through Columbia River Gorge over to Yellowstone, if ya can swing it.  You will enjoy it.

Also, we should be moved out to Lake Las Vegas by early summer, so let me know when you and the wife are in town and come on over for dinner or drinks or ???

Dennis

Dennis
Pretty much using all the time the way planned. Going to be in Vegas August 9th to 10th. Never been there so will be checking the sites. This is our first way out west trip so trying to see as much as possible without cutting anything too short to see the high points. Thanks for the invite.
WILL
wasting time

TweekmyTwin

Kiss What ?

CraigArizona85248

I get a 12 week vacation (all one block of time) in 2011.  I'll be riding for sure.  I had a similar very long vacation back in 2002.  My plan is the same as last time... ride.  No plans beyond that.  I got up each day and let my mood and the weather dictate where I rode to next.  My long day on that trip was 700 miles.  Some days I only went 50 miles down the road.  Depended on how much stopping and looking around I did.  Next years trip will be the same.  No plans, no itinerary.  Riding solo allows me to stop at the "world biggest ball of string" if I feel like it and not wonder if anybody else is bored.  LOL

-Craig

Porkchop

I'm thinking a ride from the Florida Keys to the Arctic circle should take about ten maybe twelve days, if the weather and my rear end cooperate.
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

Brrrap

Carlisle Bike Fest
Jul 22 - Jul 24, 2011  http://www.carsatcarlisle.com/ce/events/bikefest/

Also, I want to ride the Dragon.  TAIL OF THE DRAGON AT DEALS GAP  http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Big Dan

Quote from: smittyon66 on December 24, 2010, 08:14:16 AM
Quote from: Big Dan on December 23, 2010, 05:10:20 PM
I'll just follow Smitty around.

This year it's your turn to lead.

That's okay. I know your bladder about as well as I know my own. I figure about the 48th time we go around the block, you'll have to pee. When you head for the pee-place, I'll just fall into my usual spot. Yup, that's me... always thinkin'.

smittyon66

Quote from: Big Dan on December 25, 2010, 05:03:00 AM
Quote from: smittyon66 on December 24, 2010, 08:14:16 AM
Quote from: Big Dan on December 23, 2010, 05:10:20 PM
I'll just follow Smitty around.

This year it's your turn to lead.

That's okay. I know your bladder about as well as I know my own. I figure about the 48th time we go around the block, you'll have to pee. When you head for the pee-place, I'll just fall into my usual spot. Yup, that's me... always thinkin'.

Seeing as how everytime you pull that orange rainmaking machine out of your garage we end up soaking wet, I figure I won't have to stop. Looks like we'll be going around the block a lot.

I vote we make CraigArizona lead. That sounds like our style of riding and trip planning.

Big Dan

If I remember correctly, it has been determined that all of our "precipitation perils" have been caused by that damnable rolling-rain-cloud you tow behind your bike.

And I'm good with throwing Craig to the wolves out front. Might as well grab Jon and the rest of the AZ boys while we're at it.

acbacb

Start from western KY go north thru IL, stop at Milwaukee and go to HD museum, go to XR1200 races at Elkhart Lake, WI, ride around Lake Michigan and come home thru Indiana. ~1700-1800 miles over 6-7 days. All two-lane roads.
2012 FLHX Street Glide

wavlovr1

Quote from: inspector on December 23, 2010, 03:28:21 PM
I'm planning on retiring the 1st of July,Then it's from W.V. to Alaska...Good LORD willing...Hey Bakon,Yosemite is the prettyist the 1st or 2nd week of June.

They are building my Bushtec trailer now... The wife and I are leaving the Black Hills somewhere in the spring and headed across Canada to a tour of Alaska and back....  Can't wait..

jb

marc

Taking off the first 2 weeks in August and we will head back down the BRP again but will take our own sweet time...Then just ride around NC and TN...Was there back in 99 and again a few years ago and can't wait to get back...

jrussell

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on December 23, 2010, 05:25:35 PM

Dennis

Dennis

My daughter is the marina manager and runs the gondola's at Lake Las Vegas...
2019 FLHTHSE CVO Woods 22x FulSac Exhaust

04Glider2

Wife and I are flying to NJ late Feb, meeting sister and boyfriend. With their "Extra" Harley  (09 EGU) and their 03 SERG we load the bikes on the cruise shipin Bayonne NJ and sail south, then unload 35 bikes off the ship at:
St Thomas   St Kitts     Antiqua and St Maarten
Ride one day on each island (left side of roads) party here and there, load bikes, party more, unload next day, repeat.
Some 3 hours stops at different bars on the beaches with snorkeling and rum, :beer:  :soda: oh yeah, lots of shopping for the gals.
Also stop at Haiti and Samana in the Dominican Republic for one day each but no bike rides there, HMMM wonder why :hyst:
You can google anything like: "Harley rides in Bahamas" and find lots of videos. or ETA Cruises if interested.
BTW there are two bike slots open on this cruise   Feb 27th to March 11th

rigidthumper

My plan? Ride to upper west coast via MO/NE/SD/ND/MT/ID/WA/OR/CA, find Pacific coast highway, ride  south to Los Angeles,  & then back home via NV/AZ/NM/TX/OK/MO.
Should be a good week or two.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

CharlieG

September for European bike week in Austria, sail from England to Holland (Amsterdam) through Germany over the alps into Austria. Home through Italy, Switzerland back into Germany, into Holland and sail back home to England, a couple thousand miles, can`t wait :bike:

truck

Quote from: 04GLIDER2 on December 26, 2010, 09:06:11 AM
Wife and I are flying to NJ late Feb, meeting sister and boyfriend. With their "Extra" Harley  (09 EGU) and their 03 SERG we load the bikes on the cruise shipin Bayonne NJ and sail south, then unload 35 bikes off the ship at:
St Thomas   St Kitts     Antiqua and St Maarten
Ride one day on each island (left side of roads) party here and there, load bikes, party more, unload next day, repeat.
Some 3 hours stops at different bars on the beaches with snorkeling and rum, :beer:  :soda: oh yeah, lots of shopping for the gals.
Also stop at Haiti and Samana in the Dominican Republic for one day each but no bike rides there, HMMM wonder why :hyst:
You can google anything like: "Harley rides in Bahamas" and find lots of videos. or ETA Cruises if interested.
BTW there are two bike slots open on this cruise   Feb 27th to March 11th
What that looks like.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

hbkeith

S.Michigan to Glazier Park Montana,northern route back threw N.dokata across threw Michigan U.P.and down to home

skeets

From Washington Pa to MT Pleasent Pa and back again several times a week,, with out getting my old a$$ run over by a cager on a freekin cell phone!!!
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

roadking705

Hawaii(by airplane in June} to Bellingham, Wa., pick up my RK, then east to Nova Scotia, back to Sturgis, then south west to Los Angeles.  Then ship my bike to Molokai, Hi.  Hope I make it.  I will be 73 in July

Bakon

My second couple on trip is in 70's also. Ride to Sturgis every other year and Myrtle Beach twice a year. This California trip will be our longest though.

Washington to Mt Pleasant-that's not a long one. Do that to warm up the bike.
wasting time

Jeffd

Quote from: roadking705 on December 28, 2010, 10:17:03 AM
Hawaii(by airplane in June} to Bellingham, Wa., pick up my RK, then east to Nova Scotia, back to Sturgis, then south west to Los Angeles.  Then ship my bike to Molokai, Hi.  Hope I make it.  I will be 73 in July
Cool.  Sounds like a great trip.  73 young it sounds like to me.

apes

Quote from: CharlieG on December 26, 2010, 11:20:27 AM
September for European bike week in Austria, sail from England to Holland (Amsterdam) through Germany over the alps into Austria. Home through Italy, Switzerland back into Germany, into Holland and sail back home to England, a couple thousand miles, can`t wait :bike:

I am looking at a similar trip in September too.  I had been thinking about doing it in the spring to take advantage of flowers and all that  but i figured that there would be too much snow in the alps.... Are you renting bikes in England or Holland

PosseRider

Two possibilities for us. 1. Ride US 50 from begining in Md to end in Ca. or 2. Touch 48states in 30 riding days
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

runamuck

I ride each labor day weekend from the DFW area to Durango, Co. and in May will ride either to Hot Springs, Ar. or to Eureka Springs for Mem. Day weekend...am putting together a ride from here to Big Bend in march or april before it heats up ...I usually ride down to ROT rally in Austin in june and then a ride to Bandera in october...try to make 4 day weekends around holidays..usually 5 days for Durango...some in  my group have talked of a guys trip to Sturgis, but that is 7 or 8 days and dont know if I can take off that long..but that is a possible trip...

Back Road Mike

We're meeting a group of friends in Ohio for Memorial Weekend, and a larger group of the same friends in Maggie Valley in August.

We're planning a second honeymoon for winter 2012 to New Zealand.  Going to fly down and rent a bike. Haven't decided if we will make our own hotel accomodations, or go with one of those self guided tour outfits.  Figuring minimum 11-14 days, but nothing shorter.

ironbutt

Probably Maggie Valley in June. After that? Who knows, just point the front wheel and follow it.
"Old enough to know better, to young to resist".

Ridetard

At this stage in life I dont buy green bananna's and dont plan things too far ahead.   :teeth:

When the time comes, I get on the bike with a pocket full of cash, pick a direction and go.  The rest will fall into place.  No GPS, No Cell Phone, just make it up as you go along.  Dont hurt to plan a stop or two but ultimately when that urge comes to go home, I have no idea before I leave where I will end up.

No matter where I go, or how far a ride, am always bummed out when I pull into the garage when I return.  I always ponder about the trip for a moment or two before I shut her down.

Doesnt get any better than that! (always bring a six piece fishing rod :)    )

dunbarton

Quote from: Ridetard on December 31, 2010, 03:32:21 AM
At this stage in life I dont buy green bananna's and dont plan things too far ahead.   :teeth:

When the time comes, I get on the bike with a pocket full of cash, pick a direction and go.  The rest will fall into place.  No GPS, No Cell Phone, just make it up as you go along.  Dont hurt to plan a stop or two but ultimately when that urge comes to go home, I have no idea before I leave where I will end up.

No matter where I go, or how far a ride, am always bummed out when I pull into the garage when I return.  I always ponder about the trip for a moment or two before I shut her down.

Doesnt get any better than that! (always bring a six piece fishing rod :)    )

That's what I like too. Begin with the end in mind... Have a great time and hopefully arrive alive. It's worked so far.