May 06, 2024, 03:24:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Heat Cycle

Started by WideBoy04, December 29, 2008, 05:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WideBoy04

Getting ready to fire up the big bore in a couple days.
Have been told to heat cycle the motor 3 times before
riding. First, with hands on the jugs, wait till it starts to
warm then shut off until completely cool. Second, feel
until jugs get warm then cool completely. Third, feel until
too hot to hold then cool completely. Then ride from 2000
to 3000 rpm's back to 2000 through the gears for a few miles.
For the first 100 miles don't exceed 3000 rpm's. Don't lug.
Would this be one of the safest ways normally to do a break in
and to seat the rings?

Thanks, Jim
Galatians 2:20

markymark

I actually did the same cycling on mine. I did it in 30 Second intervals working up to 5 minutes allowing "complete" cool-down between starts.

crazycalvin

Jim, you might want to consider as soon as the bike will idle normally, to raise your rpms up around 1800 to 2000 so piston oilers will work.  Somebody else can probably tell you at what rpm the piston oilers will kick in.  Let it run for about 20 or 30 seconds and gently vary the rpms from 1800 to 2500.  By this time it will probably start warming up.  Shut it down and check for leaks, oil level, etc.  After it has cooled down then you can start it up again.  At this time be ready to ride immediately so that after 30 seconds or so of gentle rpms from 1800 to 2500 rpms you can take it for a gentle ride and remember to vary your rpms.  After about 25 miles, I ran my rpms up around 3500 with the occasional 4000 blast.  At 100 miles I rode it like I stole it.  Good luck, Calvin.

choseneasy

Man, you are gonna get allot of opinions on this. FWIW, I like to heat cycle the motor, kinda like you describe. I'm checking for intake leaks, idle ,oil return etc.. when it is first running.  After it is cycled then I will run her easy for a few miles like you describe and make sure she is running smooth and sounds good.  After that I will get fairly aggressive but definitely not to the point of revving the "Potty mouth" out of her. Works for me and good leakdown numbers.

GoFast.....

December 29, 2008, 06:29:46 PM #4 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:56:31 PM by GoFast.....
 This is a great article on break in and we should put in the tech section or somewhere :rtfb:

https://www.axiomcycles.com/pages/info/tech/Harley_Davidson_Engine_Break_In.asp
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

crazycalvin

I saw a break in procedure by Hippo once and it was pretty interesting also.  Later, Calvin.

Ken R

Quote from: WideBoy04 on December 29, 2008, 05:44:23 PM
Getting ready to fire up the big bore in a couple days.
Have been told to heat cycle the motor 3 times before
riding. First, with hands on the jugs, wait till it starts to
warm then shut off until completely cool. Second, feel
until jugs get warm then cool completely. Third, feel until
too hot to hold then cool completely. Then ride from 2000
to 3000 rpm's back to 2000 through the gears for a few miles.
For the first 100 miles don't exceed 3000 rpm's. Don't lug.
Would this be one of the safest ways normally to do a break in
and to seat the rings?

Thanks, Jim

Jim, that's just about what I did last week when I finished my build.  You didn't mention what rpms for each heat cycle.  I kinda varied the rpms between 1,200 and 2,000 for 4 or 5 heat cycles before I to 'er for a ride.  Then, about the same as you.   Bishop's recommends oil change after 100 miles. 

Ken

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

calgary56

Warm it up, then run it hard !!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

.... and as much as some might think this won't work, this is exactly the procedure I used when I went from 88" to 95" with SE 203 cams on the 04th of March 2006 with 35,131 Km (21,820 miles) on the engine.

The bike now has 204,606 Km (127,084 miles) total miles on it, ....... 169,475 Km (105,263 miles) of those with 95" broken in using the Motoman Break-In Method, ...... it still runs great.

Now I'm not saying this is the only way to break in an engine, just pointing out that this method does work, regardless of what some folks think.
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

POORBOY

December 29, 2008, 09:46:14 PM #9 Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 09:48:44 PM by POORBOY
I do the heat cycles, I start out  easy but end up hammer down,  :smilep:
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

FLTRI

Quote from: calgary56 on December 29, 2008, 09:39:06 PM
Warm it up, then run it hard !!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

.... and as much as some might think this won't work, this is exactly the procedure I used when I went from 88" to 95" with SE 203 cams on the 04th of March 2006 with 35,131 Km (21,820 miles) on the engine.

The bike now has 204,606 Km (127,084 miles) total miles on it, ....... 169,475 Km (105,263 miles) of those with 95" broken in using the Motoman Break-In Method, ...... it still runs great.

Now I'm not saying this is the only way to break in an engine, just pointing out that this method does work, regardless of what some folks think.

Funny thing is this is also the way most race engine builders break in engines. Course they are prolly in a hurry.  :wink: I've been breaking in mine and customer's street engines this way for over 30 years without an issue, but I've sure seen a ton of oil burners that were broken in by being easy on it, especially in the first 20-30 miles where ring break in is most critical. And I also use synthetic oil for break in as well since there is virtually no heat control like liquid coolled engines and friction is the highest during ring break-in, but what do I know? :crook:
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

redmtrckl

4 heat cycles and then onto the dyno for a few easy pulls to make sure and get the AFR at a safe number then ride the snit out of it. For my own, it gets some full pulls before it comes off the dyno. It's never burned a drop of oil.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

GoFast.....

I guess you can break them in like a guy on a message board or follow a company that has been 1# in afthermarket engine production forever, S&S, Take your pick :smileo:
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

bouncingVman

What do they do at the H-D Factory ??

-BVM
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

redmtrckl

Quote from: bouncingVman on December 30, 2008, 08:17:00 AM
What do they do at the H-D Factory ??

-BVM

I'll guess it's not just a couple of heat cycles :)
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

Ken R

You can follow the advice of someone on the Internet (that has 300 motorcycle break-ins to his name and nothing to lose if you follow his advice) or use the break-in procedures promoted by the engine manufacturers that have produced hundreds of thousands (or millions) of motorcycles .

Anectodal information like "ran it like I stole it and it's still running great and doesn't burn an ounce of oil" may work for some . . . . .  but I'll take the advice of the manufacturersbut that have a whole lot more at stake if their instructions result in failure.  Even 1%  failure would result in huge numbers.

Ken

FLTRI

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 30, 2008, 05:43:30 AM
I guess you can break them in like a guy on a message board or follow a company that has been 1# in afthermarket engine production forever, S&S, Take your pick :smileo:

Go-fast,
Can you imagine, if S&S recommends to ride like you stole it, or how you ride every day to get the rings set (break-in), how many doofs out there would simply go out on a hot 100+ deg summer day and hold the throttle WFO, then bitch because the engine developed problems, and want warranty coverage, not to mention the badmouthing that would inevitably come from it....even if the supplier covered everything, including labor. S&S has an incredible amount of experience with high performance HD engines there is only one reason they offer a 2 year warranty for these 124s, etc. (because their engines are reliable) but they have to be verrrrry careful how they word everything they say in print.

Just get one of the S&S race engine builders off to the side and ask him what he personally reccommends. It is exceedingly difficult to rely on all customers to know the difference between properly loading an engine to set rings while paying attention to ambient temperature and how it affects the internal engine temps during break-in, and simply getting on the bike with a heavy throttle hand without regard to these all-so-important engine temps.

Remember, we are talking about air cooled engines (ambient temps change the time period until overheating occurs during break-in)that, in my opinion, require a bit of experience and common sense ( :dgust:) to do the break-in job properly.
That said, everyone must believe and do what they feel is best,
Bob

S&S warranty coverage:
"Engines specifically designed for and sold with the S&S Intelligent Spark Technology ignition system and assembled at S&S are covered by a special thirty-six (36) month warranty on any street application  displacement  under 120” and covered by a special twenty four (24) month warranty on any street application displacement over 120”  "
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

crazycalvin

If you are doing just big bore and cams, how long does it to take to seat the rings?  Probably 25 miles or less.  Wouldn't all the other miles just make everything else wear and mate properly?  Are the crank bearings already broke in?  (if you have more than 500 miles on the motor probably so) If you start a fresh big bore and just let it idle until it warms up, I personally think that could cause more harm than good.  Later, Calvin.

Faast Ed

QuoteYou can follow the advice of someone on the Internet (that has 300 motorcycle break-ins to his name and nothing to lose if you follow his advice) or use the break-in procedures promoted by the engine manufacturers that have produced hundreds of thousands (or millions) of motorcycles .

Anectodal information like "ran it like I stole it and it's still running great and doesn't burn an ounce of oil" may work for some . . . . .  but I'll take the advice of the manufacturersbut that have a whole lot more at stake if their instructions result in failure.  Even 1%  failure would result in huge numbers.

Ken
:up:  :up:  :up:

You don't have to "ride it like you stole it" to seat the rings. LOL  But you don't want to just baby it either.
Rolling on/rolling off,  Accel/Decel (under load)will put the pressure on the rings to seat them. Freshly honed cylinder walls on untouched rings create friction and to even think about the heat generated by a WOT run with zero ring-seat miles,...... just seems pretty insane to me! 

You guys can "he said she said" this thing to death, but you shall NEVER convince me different.
BTW:  My bike does not use a noticable drop of oil between intervals.  Go figure.
≡Faast Ed>

barny7655

Getting off the subject, but ring based , i service police cars GMH gen 4 motors 6 litre V 8s , all the police cars use oil during services , im talking a few litres , thats 2 litres in 10,000klm , they have done for all the yrs i have services them from the ol 5 litre to the 5.7 gen 3 ,yes they do use them hard from day one, and we are in the country here so lots of open roads as well as the inner streets,any ways looking at it in general terms they use far more oil that the normal gen 4 , same motor , no mods,cheers Barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

dadawg

Quote from: barny7655 on December 30, 2008, 03:24:37 PM
Getting off the subject, but ring based , i service police cars GMH gen 4 motors 6 litre V 8s , all the police cars use oil during services , im talking a few litres , thats 2 litres in 10,000klm , they have done for all the yrs i have services them from the ol 5 litre to the 5.7 gen 3 ,yes they do use them hard from day one, and we are in the country here so lots of open roads as well as the inner streets,any ways looking at it in general terms they use far more oil that the normal gen 4 , same motor , no mods,cheers Barny
industrial /municipal /etc. vehicles tent to idle HOURS every day that dont show on the odometer , that could contribute to the oil use.
2007 eglide classic
pc3/k&n 3910 filter/modified rush slipons from fuelmotousa

redmtrckl

I like the dyno for initial break in where it's in a controlled environment. I'm sure engines are run hard before leaving the factory at least some are and that's basically what happens on the dyno after a big bore upgrade. If the bottom end parts are new then I might be inclined to take it a little easier for the first 50-100 miles.

My brother sells big trucks, like in 18 wheeler and when a new truck gets delivered it gets hooked to a trailerand hits the road fully loaded 80,000lbs gross and full power. These motors run a million or more miles sometimes before overhaul.

New air cooled aircraft engines get full throttle on take off too and then varied at 75%-65% power for 25hrs till oil change time.
http://www.factoryengines.com/backup9_24/docs/TCM%20Engine%20Break-In%20Flight%20Tips.pdf

My 07 was taken on a 600 mile run for it's break in and we ran 70-90 and changed the oil when I got home.
It's never used any oil and has always has above average power for what it is.

Watch the temps and vary the speed with lots of full throttle bursts and hard decels is the way I'll continue to break mine in.

I ain't about to say what oil I use :crook:

Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

Sonny S.

Wonder why we never hear from anyone that works at The Factory, about how certain things are done.
With all the HTT members you would think someone would actually KNOW these things.

Faast Ed

I'm sure engines are run hard before leaving the factory at least some are.....

How can you be "sure" of that?  Have a link to info that confirms that?
The reason I ask is because running them hard at the factory contradicts their own recommendations (owners manual with every bike sold).
≡Faast Ed>

Faast Ed

December 30, 2008, 04:28:43 PM #24 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 04:32:20 PM by Faast Ed
QuoteMy brother sells big trucks, like in 18 wheeler and when a new truck gets delivered it gets hooked to a trailerand hits the road fully loaded 80,000lbs gross and full power. These motors run a million or more miles sometimes before overhaul.

Did your brother forget to tell you these trucks never see above 2300 rpm during their entire lifespan? (not even during breakin)
≡Faast Ed>