May 08, 2024, 09:01:15 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

motor cycle jacks or lifts

Started by ultra 08, March 07, 2011, 05:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultra 08

I am thinking of getting a cycle jack I think it would be handy for washing the bike. My son gave me on for Christmas a year ago but the lifting arms are so short it does not reach both sides of the frame I think it is for 4 wheelers so it is no good to me. I would like some input from some of you people.
2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic

Panzer

Take that jack to a welding shop and have longer arms put on.
Save some $$$ maybe. :nix:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

ultra 08

thanks Panzer I actually thought of doing that my self just weld a piece of tube steel on and then putting a strip of conveyor belting on the box steel. 

moosemush

You might want to look up the model # of the jack you have to be sure it can support the weight of your bike. If it was made for a quad or a dirt bike it may only be rated for 500 lbs or so. Also make sure the hardware holding it together is hardened. I've heard stories of cheaper import jacks collapsing because the bolts sheared under the weight of the bike.

Bakon

Pitbull

Lifetime guarantee and no straps needed. Can climb on bike on lift without straps. About 200 more than cheaper lifts but worth it.
wasting time

Justpassingas

Well I'll put my plug in for the Sears lift......I've had it for years and never had a problem,reasonably priced too....
For Duty and Humanity

dakota224

IndyHarley

you can get jacks that might be considered inexpensive (a relative term) that fit HDs from $60 on sale all the way up to $1000.

Craftsman/Sears lift.
Greg Smith Equipment lifts.
Handy Lift
Direct Lift

All of which are probably good for non-commercial/industrial use depending on your needs and your cash flow.

I've used them all and have seen them all used by others - each individual that I knew had no complaints.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

chaos901

Another plug for the Craftsman Bike Lift, never had a problem with it.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Snuff™

I still use all of mine I've bought over the years.

Craftsman-Red/Black
Dolley-Homemade
Greg Smith-Jack
Handy-Sam1000

I've never tried the Craftsman Yellow/Black lift as it looks as if it would be easier to store away.

-Snuffâ,,¢ :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

ultra 08

Thanks for all the input guys I never gave it a taught that my lift might be to light to do the job its a good point. Thats just what I would want is to have the bike in the air and then have the lift give up the ghost. 

Thanks again guys its response like this that makes this site the best.

Oiltrash

j&S Jacks work very good,easier to use, like the video shows, $$. Have one and very pleased. Used the Sears, still have it.
Patriot Guard Rider
2011 Ultra Limit

Old Crow

Quote from: BAKON on March 08, 2011, 05:52:11 AM
Pitbull

Lifetime guarantee and no straps needed. Can climb on bike on lift without straps. About 200 more than cheaper lifts but worth it.

I went by their factory in Tenn. a few years back.  Saw the shop and their demo and I'm a believer.  That being said, I've used a Craftsman clone(AC Delco)from O'Reilly's for a few years with no problem.  If I ever win the lotto, I might buy a Pit Bull.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

76shuvlinoff

I know we're talking jacks but I can't help myself, got this lift last week.  Added a couple 2X10s to the sides until I can swing the extensions and I added safety step tape to the ramp.
Excuse the winter dust on the bike. I was grinning so hard I didn't even see it. I've been working off a Sams Club jack for about 13 years, not any more if I can help it.  :teeth:

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

northbrun

if your gonns get a jack.. spring the extra $ and get an alum. one. I,vie had the steel jacks and fount a deal on a sears alum jack, and now I wonder why I ever bought a steel jack. It about 1/2the weight, and so easy to move around and carry.store. you,ll be happy uoi did.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Oiltrash on March 09, 2011, 02:05:47 AM
j&S Jacks work very good,easier to use, like the video shows, $$. Have one and very pleased.
:agree:
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Glide-Rider

I first had the pipe type lift that you put under swing arm and it would lift your bike rear section maybe three inches.  Went to a Sears lift, which I still have and use but had hard time changing oil.  It works great for other type repairs.  Went to a Handy Lift in 02.  If I had to do all over again?  I would go straight to a Handy Lift.  To be fair, one would also need a flat type jack.  It is also made by Handy and I use it to raise the bike up when changing out rear tire among many other type of repairs.  I have experienced that one needs more than one type of lift or jack to do majority of work on my bike..  Changing front motor mount I used Handy lift to get the bike into the air and then a flat type jack to I could replace the front motor mount or front or rear tire removal or when the oil pan needed to be replaced after a piece or re-barb punctured a hole in it.
Pete
Warner Springs Ca.

Rags722

OK, I may take some flak from the Harbor Freight, Sears, Costco guys on this, but I have broad shoulders.
About 15 years ago my wife got me a BlackJack for my bike.  In looking at the PitBull, it looks almost identical to the BlackJack in construction. http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

I will say this about the BJ/Pitbull.  It has a WIDE footprint and the arms are long enough from the start to assure about 2 inches of overhang on either side.  Sure, you can always weld on extensions to your low buck jacks, but you can't do much about the footprint, and that is what gives the high end jacks stability.  I'm kinda sensitive about big heavy things falling on me ever since the lift system on my buddy's motorhome failed and 17,000 lbs of angry iron bounced on me.  I'd hate to see anyone here get hurt because a bike got unstable on a jack and fell on them.

Now, in all fairness, the Pitbull can lift the bike 25 inches in the air and the econo-jacks can't come close to that.  However, on my BlackJack I do notice the arms are much more stable when locked in the full upright position.  I suspect that is because at the first stop, they are long arms holding weight at a funny angle, and since the arms on the econo-jacks are shorter, they are more stable at a partial lift position.

If you are new to using hydraulic jacks, just keep two things in mind.  The bottle jack is used for LIFTING, not for HOLDING.  When lifting a bike, let the safety stops both click in past the height you want and then lower the bike back to the safety.  Never trust the seal in the jack with your life.  Also, when you lower the bike for the first time, be darned sure you lower it slowly.  Too much turn on the release screw can make for a real interesting landing!

Rags

76shuvlinoff

[quoteAlso, when you lower the bike for the first time, be darned sure you lower it slowly.  Too much turn on the release screw can make for a real interesting landing!
][/quote]

....and make sure that side stand is out especially if you're standing on the opposite side...  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hbkeith

i use a craftsman to wash my bagger,got it for $69,I strap bike to it. i use my air table lift (complete motorcycle lift brand) to work on bikes ,paid $650

Lakerat

March 10, 2011, 05:52:31 AM #20 Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:55:28 AM by Lakerat
I'm considering this one to replace my Sears Yellow because of it's lowered height and 17" skid length. Anyone ever had experience with OTC products? Summit has a better price than the one in the link.
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-4124-otc-1545.aspx
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

serider

Lakerat, Never had any experience with OTC motorcycle jacks, but after close to 30 years selling tools I have never seen any OTC products that were junk. I have sold a lot of their hydraulic products with no problems at all. OTC is part of the SPX group and is a huge corporation. SPX makes normal hand tools as well as specialty tools for almost every vehicle manufacturer in the world. Their Kent Moore brand is used by automotive, truck, marine, snowmobile, motorcycle and heavy equipment mechanics everywhere. A little long and OT here, but if the jack meets your needs I wouldn't be afraid to own one.
SERIDER
Upstate N.Y. (Southern Tier)

CPTMorgan

K&L has some great products... kinda spends, but worth it... here's what I use:

K&L "FatJack" can be used just as a jack or to lift the bike onto the K&L "Shop Dolly"... with the dolly you can strap the bike to it and roll it around freely in any direction

"Ever man dies, but not every man truly lives"
â€" Sonny Barger

Old Crow

I've got a dolly like that I use for my long term work.  I love it.  Mine came from Harbor Freight, but I don't see it in the catalog anymore.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Tbones

I've got both the K&L lifts and the Craftsman jack.  If you can afford it, the lifts are the only way to go.  The jacks are better than nothing but you still have to stoop over to do work plus they aren't as stable as a lift is.  I also purchased the blackjacks sisser lifts http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Black-Jack-1000-p/tpbj.htm

=IF IT DON'T DO 150 IT AIN'T WORTH HAVING=