April 27, 2024, 12:43:46 AM

News:

Kuryakyn Deer Whistle

Started by hpbear101, January 01, 2009, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpbear101

Anybody have any experience with the Kuryakyn electronic deer whistle? I am not a believer in the standard (non-electronic) type Kmart deer whistle, just wondering about the effectiveness of these.
Thanks
Tom
Tom, Avatar-Dad's 49 Hydraglyde
Veteran U.S. Naval Submarine Service

Standard

There is no way in hell that the deer are going to react in a positive way from a whistle, electronic or not.  Even when they are in the road or on the roadside, sometimes they move, sometimes they stay put....they are unpredicatable animals.  If the call works, let me know if they have a model for A$$holes drivers.....

2007 FLHT "Rosie"

Sonny S.

I don't know..... buddy of mine has deer whistles on his bike and has never hit a deer.
but then again neither have I  :wink:

help-u2

Damn, i was hoping to read of a whistle that calls deer so i can shoot/eat them...
(loves me some bambi)

Evo160K

FWIW, some years back Sentry Ins Co, the company that insured my business, sent deer whistles for each of our vehicles that they insured.  They included a reprint of an article where UPS Canada had reported the number of deer strikes to their delivery fleet had decreased some significant amount (I can't remember the number, but it was remarkable) since using those deer whistles.  Although they didn't insure the bike, I asked if they would send a set for it, which they did.  None of the vehicles ever sustained a hit.  I sold the business some years later, but I still use whistles on the bike.

PoorUB

I am with Standard on this. I have had deer look up at me, panic, run towards the open field, then turn around and run right out in the road in front of me. The deer obviously knew I was there and still ran across the road. I don't see how any warning in the world would stop them.
I remember someone stating that they had hit deer on more than one occasion, while riding in an ambulance with the lights on and siren blaring. now they my why I whistle Will stop 'em?!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Mtrman

If you mount the deer whistles in the opposite direction as said in the instructions the deer do come to you!!! :smilep: :hyst: :beer: :beer:

cowboy

I have never put them on any of my bikes But did have them on my 18 wheelers & you could see them ether stop or go the other way & after some 30 plus years of driving trucks I never hit a deer you cant here them but a deer can like the dog whistles tuned in for dogs
cowboy 94 softail
AlvinTX

FLTRI

I think they are as effective as the bells folks put on their bike for keeping them safe. :dgust:
When they tow in a crashed bike we normally see a bell hanging from the remains.  :wink:
Honestly if I had any proof they worked I would have a couple on my bike as I have encountered and fortunately avoided hitting a couple deer in the hills/mountains @ night.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Memnar

I think they work, never hit a deer with it on.

I tried an experiment with it..kept it off until we saw a deer.

Then I flipped it on...the deer DID HEAR it and ..well she did react. I think its just a frequency they are not used to, so they look to see whats that NEW noise. Nothing to say they then wont run in front of you..but heck its a wild animal so who knows ...

I just don't want to be like my dads buddy..retired one week,,,sold his business for 3 million, enjoying a ride on the Harley and had a deer run into him from the left. Died 5 hours later in the hospital. Just ain't fair...

Albuquerque, NM.

FLTRI

FLTRI

BART

A friend of mine hit his first deer with his car a few days after installing his deer whistlers.  I can guarantee he's not a believer in deer whistlers.

BART

panheaddreamer58

Good friend in a deer/bike wreck once. He was'nt hurt to bad and only thing on bike broking was the deer whistle !!     :hyst: :hyst: :wtf:

dakota224

What happens when they get full of bugs??  kind of like a harley horn :hyst:

Bigs

Weather it works or not it sure can't hurt. If it makes you feel better than put them on. Had them on a couple of cars and never hit a deer. Also have a bell on the bikes and haven't wrecked yet. Didn't have a bell on the bike I totaled. Just luck of the draw I guess.
   Bigs

Ultrashovel

January 03, 2009, 08:55:26 AM #16 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:55:38 PM by Ultrashovel
Deer whistles are worthless. They are right up there with copper bracelets and Love Potion No 9. I have read of people being killed on bikes even with deer whistles. You never know what a deer is going to do. if you even see one on the side of the road while you are approaching, you are already in trouble.

FLTRI

OK,
There are bird whistles
There are dog whistles
There are dolfin whistles
There are duck whistles
These are all to get the animal, etc to come to the whistler not run away.
Why would there be any difference with a deer whistles??? :hyst: :hyst:

RK101

I love this site where else could you learn that they make whistles for dear and magnets for cows. :hyst:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Skullfork

As FLTRI posted with one of the links, here in Ohio, the State Patrol used them on their cruisers and accidents involving deer actually increased during the study ...

Myself, I think they can actually be harmful because they might give the rider a false sense of security ...

FLTRI

Quote from: Evil-Eagle on January 03, 2009, 10:52:56 AM
As FLTRI posted with one of the links, here in Ohio, the State Patrol used them on their cruisers and accidents involving deer actually increased during the study ...

Myself, I think they can actually be harmful because they might give the rider a false sense of security ...

:up: :up:

ANNIEFATS

I think they work, this guy ran 20 yards and laid down, when I
whistled at him with my 270. :hyst:
Todd

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read binary, and those who can't!

Bigs

You have the right kind of deer whistle Todd.
   Bigs

FLTRI

Todd,
You took out Bambi!!! :smileo:
What will PETA say? :dgust:
Happy New Year and send me some jerky when its ready! :smilep:

JamLazyAss

Bet y'all ain't got one of these here "Redneck Lawn Deer" fer Christmas now, do ya   :wtf:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...