May 09, 2024, 09:32:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Remote VTune Display

Started by whittlebeast, April 16, 2011, 09:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

Quote from: WVULTRA on June 19, 2011, 07:35:05 AM
My "Closed Course" just isn't big enough!

:wink:
I know what you mean.  I had the same problem at times.   :teeth:  glad to hear things are working for you, at least as far as the tune goes. 

How's your wife doing? 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

WVULTRA

She's about 99% recovered and doing just fine.  Says she's ready to get out on the bike and do some 2-up VTuning so we can get this thing tuned for some serious riding!   :bike:

Thanks for asking!

Now, if this crazy wx would cooperate........... :angry:

I'll keep in touch with the progress.

:up:

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

wurk_truk

June 19, 2011, 10:37:28 AM #52 Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:39:49 AM by wurk_truk
Got any hills?  Even long upgrades?  I literally wore out a pair of pads and a rotor trying to get some of the cells.

If you get everything you can, it may be a nice ride to get to some hills to do some 'finish work' for you?  Pretty easy to haul around a laptop, and that remote monitor puts this into the EASY BUTTON territory.

Glad to hear the OL is doing OK....  wish I could say the same...
Oh No!

cts1950

Quote from: wurk_truk on June 19, 2011, 10:37:28 AM
Got any hills?  Even long upgrades?  I literally wore out a pair of pads and a rotor trying to get some of the cells.

If you get everything you can, it may be a nice ride to get to some hills to do some 'finish work' for you?  Pretty easy to haul around a laptop, and that remote monitor puts this into the EASY BUTTON territory.

I know what you mean. I have ruined my brakes several times and going up a 8% grade at the same time. I am beginning to think that trying to get this info from on the (closed course) might be skewing our results. I think in order to get to some of the cells we end up putting the motor into states where it is out of sync with the cells that can be reached normally. Yes we can fill the cells with 30 or more hits but is the data accurate? On the hill in mention there is a 1000 foot elevation change, other ways we have to repeatedly have to accelerate through a cell to hopefully get one hit.
For this reason I am building a hydraulic dyno so that I can load the engine in a steady state and hold it long enough to fill each cell before moving on to the next. I am lucky enough to have friends in the hydraulic business who have access to new old stock. I will be using a piston pump capable of drawing 150 hp and sending the oil through a servo controlled pressure relief valve. I bought a 40,000 pound rated rear axle from a truck wrecking yard and cut it down no center section so I have a full floating axle and hubs. A 20" wheel will be the roller and the pump will be mounted to the other hub and drive shaft through the center connecting the wheel hub to the pump. A torque arm and load cell will measure rotational force on the pump side. I know this is a subject for another thread so when things are more complete I will show photos of the progress.

wurk_truk

Wow!  Keep us posted on THAT!!!    That will be very interesting.
Oh No!

Steve Cole

Anything you can do to help control the testing is going to make it easier to do. The idea here is that you are testing in the real world and yes you push it beyond your normal ride areas to help get a better covered areas but let's face it this is just what you are doing when you load the bike two up and full of gear. Is it perfect NO but is riding everyday in various conditions any different?

Building you own dyno will be fun if you have the time, money and means.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

WVULTRA

Yes, the Remote Monitor is definitely a big plus!  Takes out most of the "guesswork" and is a huge time saver!

And here in WV, mountains are readily available to ride!   :wink:

My plan, if this wet wx ever stops, is to vtune the bike by hitting as many cells as possible riding 1-up and 2-up.  But this DOES NOT include destroying new pads and rotors!  Can't see abusing the bike/equipment if it's never going to be in certain areas/cells of the map to begin with.  I'll use cell extending/blending for those areas.

What I can't accomplish with VTuning will be finalized on a dyno (along with WOT).

cts1950:  Definitely looking forward to a new thread on your dyno build!   :up:

Coyote

I ordered the 7" touch screen to add to my stuff. Should be here later this week. Looking forward to taking it out next week for some runs up the hill. I was having some pinging after my last dyno with the 2-1-2 pipes. It got worse with the Supertrapps. Should be interesting to see what I can do with the additional feedback using vtune.  :scratch:

wurk_truk

June 22, 2011, 06:17:12 PM #58 Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:32:26 PM by wurk_truk
With a monitor and some hills... you will NOT have to touch the brakes at all.  A couple years ago, before I had a better understanding... is when I burnt the brakes.  I have had the monitor for like a year and a half?   That changed v-tuning completely for me!!!

Now that I am back in Columbus with NO hills, again...  I will load it all up and head to Athens/ Nelsonville area and v-tune in the Hocking Hills.

WV?  I didn't know whether you still lived in WV.  Like Mayor in central PA... piece of cake for you and tuning with a monitor.  Look for a course with some smaller hills (for your area!  haha) and some flat ground too.

My monitor is USB powered.  I bought a USB 'extension cord' and routed that cord under the tank, etc.  Made THAT cord permanent with wire ties, etc..  Makes it easy to install the monitor and remove the monitor...  Another good tip is buy that 12volt power supply for your laptop and then you can get LOTS of data and not worry about the monitor dragging the laptop battery down.

Based upon BVBob's and Russel's recommendations...  I am going to buy a FM 2-1-2 pipe and start with the Stage 1 on the Rat...  Should be fun.

I still have a complete 107 with welded crank I will do one of these days... but am in no hurry.  Will have to let Mike teach me how to tune in the EGR tables, etc... using Lambda. :banghead: :banghead: :hyst: :hyst:
Oh No!

WVULTRA

Yes, the hills are no problem!  Created this within 10 miles of the house 1-up:

I just can't get a break from the weather!   :banghead:

Monitor has one cable feeding the VGA and USB for the touch screen.  12v DC feeding off the cig lighter, and so far the laptop battery is holding up very well!  Of course, this laptop is dedicated to Tuning and I've got all but necessary services turned off running XP Pro.

Still trying to master the EGR adjustments.............. :cry:

Good luck with your scooter.

Doghouse

I've got one of those USB monitors.  It works better with XP than Win7.  I live in flat Texas and was able to get this:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

WVULTRA

Dog:

Those Lambda bikes produce a nice recording; and the remote monitor is such a big help!!

I see you were cooking on a "closed circuit" course!   :wink:

Doghouse

Quote from: WVULTRA on June 25, 2011, 02:43:55 PM
Dog:

Those Lambda bikes produce a nice recording; and the remote monitor is such a big help!!

I see you were cooking on a "closed circuit" course!   :wink:

Who me?   ::)

I have a secret location.  It's right behind a police station.  They never bother me.

WVULTRA

That's good.......

I couldn't help but notice those "hits" in the 6k/80kPa area!

elefntman

1st post....... :bike:

After riding for hours and getting very little data, I've found vtune runs without a monitor is a complete waste of time. I used an app called Team Viewer (cause it's FREE), installed it on my iPad, installed it on my pc running windows 7pro, and used my AT&T android phone as a wireless hot spot. Used the cigarette lighter to keep the phone charged, and turned on wireless tethering. Put my laptop in the tour pak, and connected it to the hotspot my phone created, also connected the ipad to the same hotspot, ran the Team Viewer app on the ipad and pc, and was able to see everything on my ipad that my laptop was displaying. Got a cheap case for the ipad, cut a square in it, and strapped it to my speedo. Got over 20,000 hits, GREAT data, in half the time.

wurk_truk

A monitor sure enough helps!!!
Oh No!

FLTRI

Quote from: elefntman on June 27, 2011, 10:03:39 AM
1st post....... :bike:

...Team Viewer (cause it's FREE), installed it on my iPad,
Just tried it on my iPhone! Works great. Wonder how easy it will be to see from the seat to the handlebar mount in daylight?
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

hrdtail78

My iPhone 4 screen can be read in direct sunlight, even with my polarized lens.
Semper Fi

wurk_truk

June 27, 2011, 01:20:21 PM #68 Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 01:36:38 PM by wurk_truk
Thats cool.  My Droid X washes out..  iphone screens won't take the abuse from work related crap, so we went with androids instead.

I was thinking on getting a tablet for what member elefntman describes.  Sounds pretty doable.  Already have a netbook with Matstertune and it uses wifi.

I wonder if android tablets have that app? 

You dyno guys have it made for data acquisition, for sure!!!

But...  if we could get MORE DIY folks using 'monitors' with TTS...  especially like member elefntman just did... that would be a good deal!  Nothing to buy!

With the latest droids doing dual core, etc...  I wonder if it's possible for an app developer to make some kind of windows simulator to allow us to run stuff like MT straight from a phone.  Now THAT would be so cool!
Oh No!

Doghouse

I don't find it that hard to use a monitor.  I have a RAM mount ball mounted on the handlebar and a ball mount attached to the monitor.  Draping a USB cable from a backpack over my shoulder works great.  Personally, if I had a smaller screen, it would be like not having a monitor. 

wurk_truk

Oh No!

WVULTRA

Quote from: Doghouse on June 27, 2011, 03:11:36 PM
I don't find it that hard to use a monitor.  I have a RAM mount ball mounted on the handlebar and a ball mount attached to the monitor.  Draping a USB cable from a backpack over my shoulder works great.  Personally, if I had a smaller screen, it would be like not having a monitor.

Dog:   :agree:

Ram Mount worked perfectly!  Not using a backpack; but this 7" monitor is as small as I would want for these eyes.

WVULTRA

truk:

I noticed earlier, before you modified your post, that you too were curious as to cell service being a requirement.  I posted this in reply #42 and don't remember getting a definitive answer:

QuoteR57:  Yes, I can understand your Android using your 3G/4G cell service to allow you to create the hotspot and WiFi it to your laptop.

So, I'm guessing that if there's no cell service to create an internet/network then a laptop will not be able to communicate with a Droid/IPad device via wireless.

Thanks for your input.

Now I'm all for the latest technology, especially wireless; but I've been told that creating a hotspot and linking the devices wireless requires good cell service (maybe 3G at a minimum?) and that some providers charge a monthly fee for a user to be able to host a hotspot.

In my neck of the woods, especially when traveling, cell service is often nonexistent; so I can't see getting continuous feedback from a wireless connection.  Wife has an IPad, and IMO it's worthless without 3G cell service or a wireless network unless your using it for stand-alone apps.

So, for now, this one cable feeding from the tourpack/laptop to the remote monitor is providing VTuning results I could never realize while riding and "guessing" where the histogram was hitting.

elefntman's results are excellent!  And I feel confident he's getting excellent, uninterrupted cell service at his "closed course" test site!

WVULTRA

If there's enough interest, maybe a "sticky" thread on users showing their particular remote setup with explanations on what equipment they're using and why.  Plus a few examples of Data Recording results?

:scratch:

timtoolman

I just got a droid x2 a few weeks ago. i started to investigate using it for v-tuning. I think i saw apps for a wifi remote pc control , have to recheck it.  Also there was a answer on here about using   cloud software  for both laptop and droid
Hillside 117 ,  2009 ultra
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.