May 09, 2024, 03:51:51 AM

News:

Remote VTune Display

Started by whittlebeast, April 16, 2011, 09:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittlebeast

I have been messing around the last few days finding a way to VTune on a bike and being able to see the display on the bike. What I came up with is using the laptop connected to the bike and safely packed away in my backpack. I found a way to use my EVO phone as a remote display. My phone has the ability to serve up an internet connection. with that I connect the laptop to the evo. Next I use this software to display on my evo whatever is on the laptop. I set the laptop to be always one even if the screen is closed. Now all I have to do is mount the EVO to a place on the bike I can see it from the seat.

see http://www.silicmobile.com/remote/index.html

AW
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

mayor

cool.  I think the 7" monitor that I use is on the borderline of being kinda of small to see some details of the screen, so I'm not sure I would want to use my phone (Atrix) for v-tuning.   :nix:  I think it's better than having no visibility, but near as I can tell bigger is better when it comes to being able to see what's on your monitor while v-tuning. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Doc Dyna

Mayor,
Once I get my motor back together, if you have been keeping up with my other thread about cyl comp difference, I got me a 7" Proximus USB monitor.  I will attach it to inner fairing and hopefully get it tuned in.
08 Ultra 107ci Stg 4; 06 Dyna  98ci Stg 4

mayor

you will like having a monitor to help with v-tuning.  It shortens up the process, since it's a lot more apparent when you missed cells or if you are spending too much time hitting the same ones.  Here's what mine looks like in use:

I have the fairing mirrors, so I used an old mirror for the monitor mount (after seeing wurk truk's set up). 

Doc Dyna

I have the Harley single windshield pouch, was thinking about attaching there

wurk_truk

Do this mirror mount.  Otherwise it will vibrate too much.

I use a MIMO 730 from amazon...  http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Swivel-Display-Microphone-Speaker/dp/B001OXSEPK

Folks NEED a usb powered monitor and not a power supply monitor for ease of use.
Oh No!

mayor

Quote from: wurk_truk on April 16, 2011, 09:47:12 PM
Folks NEED a usb powered monitor and not a power supply monitor for ease of use.
yea, I'm using an AV monitor and I needed to run an adapter from my computer to the monitor.  Kind of a pain, but my monitor runs off of my bike power and not my lap top. How does the usb monitors get power? 

Doc Dyna

The Proximus 7" I bought runs from the power in the USB port.  Came with a 6' cable, hope its long enough.  Truk, did you just RTV silicone it to the mirror, is so that is the way I will go.
Tnx

wurk_truk

April 18, 2011, 12:47:17 PM #8 Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:50:26 PM by wurk_truk
That screw replaced the thumbscrew that held the base to the monitor, and THEN siliconed it together.  Screwed AND glued.

I had to buy a USB extension so I could run cable under tank and up through fairing.

Powers through the USB cable itself from the USB port on the laptop.
Oh No!

Doc Dyna

I had not noticed the screw,  I have a old set of mirrors that are broken, I'll dig them out and pickup a longer USB cable

timtoolman

wow and i thought I had it good by duct taping my littlel  Eee  laptop  little lap top to my right  leg .
Hillside 117 ,  2009 ultra
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.

03deuce

Quote from: timtoolman on April 18, 2011, 04:38:30 PM
wow and i thought I had it good by duct taping my littlel  Eee  laptop  little lap top to my right  leg .

If you're going to hit those high rpm cells, better use racer tape!   :teeth:

rbabos

Quote from: 03deuce on April 18, 2011, 05:54:28 PM
Quote from: timtoolman on April 18, 2011, 04:38:30 PM

If you're going to hit those high rpm cells, better use racer tape!   :teeth:
When I was in aviation we called duct tape, 200 mph tape. I think he's safe enough  :hyst:
Ron

timtoolman

WWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   4 wraps  of tape  and no  laptop fluttering!in the wind !!!!!!!! :hyst:
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.

cts1950

April 21, 2011, 06:28:30 PM #14 Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:48:35 PM by cts1950
Has any one tried this app? All I have seen is reports of the 7" monitor.  I just loaded it on the Droid and it is quite visible. You can zoom in to make your screen show the aria you are interested in. A whole lot simpler than the 7" monitor I have hooked up in the past. No wires, just connects to the laptop in the tour pak via wifi. you can use it as a full touch screen or just a monitor mode. The suction cup phone holder sticks fine to the windshield be sure to wet it.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

timtoolman

hmmmm  i remember those suction cup experiences,  it was there a min ago!!! :scratch:
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.

cts1950

May 16, 2011, 10:10:41 PM #16 Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:18:01 PM by cts1950
I know this thread is old but the weather has finally allowed me to take some tuning runs. I did have some problems getting the Droid to connect directly to the asus net book. I ended up using a usb router to set up a portable wifi to make it work. The results were worth the trouble. Sorry about the out of focus view on the bike, the camera focused on the dash behind the droid.

JustDennis

Looks very readable and no wires. Well Done! :bike:  :up:
2010 FLHXSE, 2001 FLSTC

blkfalc4

I use a MIMO UM720F 7" touch screen mounted to an old sportster mirror.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I9Z7KM
05 FXDWGI-97CI..10:1..DeweyHeads 80cc..TW54G Cams..ST 2-1..TTS..C/L..3.37:1

cts1950

May 17, 2011, 08:56:47 AM #19 Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:34:23 AM by cts1950
I have a 7" that I have used on my Ultra dash but on my Road glide very limited space for displays. Also did not have to string USB cable and VGA cables from the tour pak to the dash. I think more people have access to smart phones than 7" monitors. After using both systems I am liking the smart phone answer. I think I was one of the first to come up with the 7" monitor I was posting results and pictures in November 2008
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/efi-maps-calibrations/121526-tts-mastertune-14.html

Jeffd

if your 7" monitor will work with a acer netbook I will buy it if you are interested in selling it.

Doc Dyna

Quote from: cts1950 on April 21, 2011, 06:28:30 PM
Has any one tried this app? All I have seen is reports of the 7" monitor.  I just loaded it on the Droid and it is quite visible. You can zoom in to make your screen show the aria you are interested in. A whole lot simpler than the 7" monitor I have hooked up in the past. No wires, just connects to the laptop in the tour pak via wifi. you can use it as a full touch screen or just a monitor mode. The suction cup phone holder sticks fine to the windshield be sure to wet it.

Even though I have a 7" monitor hooked up, I still like the idea of my Droid and wireless.  What is the name of this app and where did you download from?
Tnx

whittlebeast

Quote from: Doc Dyna on May 18, 2011, 04:41:50 AM
Quote from: cts1950 on April 21, 2011, 06:28:30 PM

Even though I have a 7" monitor hooked up, I still like the idea of my Droid and wireless.  What is the name of this app and where did you download from?
Tnx

See post 1

AW
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

beerun

May 24, 2011, 02:34:17 PM #23 Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:55:19 AM by beerun
I bought a 7" Proximus usb monitor from tiger direct. I modified my RAM camera mount to use on my bike. I did not have to drill any holes in the monitor I just used the same mounting holes in the back of the monitor. and drilled new holes in the Ram ball mount to match the ones on the monitor.I used double sided sticky tape between the mount and the monitor to help hold together. 

JustDennis

Quote from: beerun on May 24, 2011, 02:34:17 PM
I bought a 7" Proximus usb monitor from tiger direct. I modified my RAM camera mount to use on my bike. I did not have to drill any holes in the monitor I just used the same mounting holes in the back of the monitor. and drilled new holes in the Ram ball mount to match the ones on the monitor.I used double sided sticky tape between the mount and the monitor to help hold together.

Thanks for posting.  I was thinking of using my Ram mount as well. 
2010 FLHXSE, 2001 FLSTC