May 06, 2024, 06:34:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Supertrapp?

Started by Fxstchewy, January 03, 2009, 02:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxstchewy

changed out my Bassani road-rage for a NIB Supertrapp Supermeg that I picked up on ebay for $117, I have a FXST with Hippo build, i have the closed endcap with 20 discs, the thing is not much quieter than the roadrage and i have noticed that the snappy throttle response i had with the R&R is not as good, any suggestions as what discs i should try? Thanks Chewy
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

Jeffd

order an open end cap from Summit Racing and go with 10-12 discs.

Fxstchewy

Kinda what i was thinking. thanks.

FLTRI

Quote from: Fxstchewy on January 03, 2009, 02:47:46 PM
changed out my Bassani road-rage for a NIB Supertrapp Supermeg that I picked up on ebay for $117, I have a FXST with Hippo build, i have the closed endcap with 20 discs, the thing is not much quieter than the roadrage and i have noticed that the snappy throttle response i had with the R&R is not as good, any suggestions as what discs i should try? Thanks Chewy
Interestion observation. Most of the customers I've talked with after a change like that say the exact opposite: Better snap down low in the RPMs and much quieter. :dgust:
What I can say is the power down low has shown improvement on the dyno over most open type 2into1s.

Maybe there is something wrong with it considering you bought it NIB for about 25% of normal price or almost 75% discount. :wtf:
Look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SuperTrapp-2-INTO-1-SUPERMEG-SYSTEMS-90-00-Softail_W0QQitemZ380091924622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

blk-betty

Chewy

I've got an open end cap if you want it.  Let me know and I'll drop it in the mail.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

FLTRI

PS - An open end cap will make more noise and help on top a bit, however it will not help, even a little, down low, but might sound like it does. :wink:

blk-betty

PPS,  That's why I'm offering it to him for free, I got no use for it  :wink:.
Coastal SC

Coyote

I guess I'm missing something here. I just purchased this pipe to put on my ultra. I got a bunch of discs, a completely closed end disc, and a heavier ring for the end (I guess). What's this referral to open vs closed end cap referring to? Thanks. Pictures would be a great help to me on this... just sayin!  :bf:

Fxstchewy

Quote from: 05FLHTC on January 03, 2009, 04:47:28 PM
chewy I'll take the RR off your hands fer $117  :smilep:

I'm going to hang on to it until i get the Supertrapp sorted out, the RR is my favorite exhaust for my FXST, i was just trying to quite it down some, maybe a little tuning to do.

FLTRI, the guy had the pipe listed as one that was for a FXD but the part# was for a FXST, i checked with ST about it, it fits perfect no issues, I think the description/part# issue played into my hand.  Chewy

FLTRI

Quote from: Coyote on January 03, 2009, 04:51:36 PM
I guess I'm missing something here. I just purchased this pipe to put on my ultra. I got a bunch of discs, a completely closed end disc =   Closed end cap   (1 with a hole in the end cap is an open end cap), and a heavier ring for the end (I guess).  Go to the Supertrapp website and identify the part, then we can comment. What's this referral to open vs closed end cap referring to? Thanks. Pictures would be a great help to me on this... just sayin!  :bf:

Airglider

It's possible the screws holding the disks in were overtorqued crushing the spacing needed for correct operation. I am running 18 disks with a closed end on mine with good low and midrange,

AG
Loud Lights Save Lives!

skyhook

I'm confused about this also...I had a roadrage on a bagger and it was very loud....maybe you have the quiet baffle?...I can't imagine any supertrapp setup being almost as loud as roadrage
always seem to get their azz wet?

Fxstchewy

Let me clarify, at idle to me it sounds about the same, but on the highway it is more mellow but i mainly ride my FLHX and i get more wind noise on the FXST so that could be messing with my hearing. looks like it has the 2.5" core and full packing.  Chewy

blk-betty

Just for some possible insight.

I'm running Supertrapp Supermegg on my 06 88" carb FLHX with SE filter/backing plate and carb rejet.

Wife's bike is an 06 88" carb Softail Deluxe with a SE Tunable (the EXACT same as Supermegg but with SE badgeing) pipe, SE filter/backing plate and carb rejet.

Both carbs are jetted similar, mine has the 88 sporty needle, hers has 2 #4 brass washers under the stock needle - both with 46 slow and 2.5 turns out of a/f screw.

Both pipes with 18 discs and closed end cap.

Without a question, the softail Supermegg is louder than the bagger Supermegg, at idle and while running at all engine speeds.  I assume it has something to do with the fact that the bagger muffler is much longer than the softail muffler.  And it is not a perceived difference based on where the muffler ends in relation to my ears, the softail pipe is louder - mind you it's not "loud" but is louder than the bagger pipe.

This may be why Chewy didn't notice a considerable difference in noise between the Trapp and the RR as his test mule is a Softail.
Coastal SC

Fxstchewy

Thanks for that, makes sense, also, the roadrage is longer than the supertrapp, probably 4-6" difference in length.  Chewy.

Deye76

The exhaust note (sound) is closer to your ear on a softie, than on a bagger.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FLTRI

Ok, we got passed the noise level thing, but what about the lack throttle response?

"i have noticed that the snappy throttle response i had with the R&R is not as good"

Deye76

Quote from: FLTRI on January 04, 2009, 09:52:17 AM
Ok, we got passed the noise level thing, but what about the lack throttle response?

"i have noticed that the snappy throttle response i had with the R&R is not as good"

Re-tune after pipes were changed?  :idea:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

14Frisco

Quote from: Coyote on January 03, 2009, 04:51:36 PM
I guess I'm missing something here. I just purchased this pipe to put on my ultra. I got a bunch of discs, a completely closed end disc, and a heavier ring for the end (I guess). What's this referral to open vs closed end cap referring to? Thanks. Pictures would be a great help to me on this... just sayin!  :bf:

The heavier ring you get with the Supermegs is a "trim ring".  Here is an open end-cap:

Jeffd

I have run every which way combo (from 8 discs to 20 discs) of open end cap and closed end cap and had afr's checked on dyno.  The AFR's have stayed about the same but I get a snappier throttle response with the open end cap. Ohiomotoxer who claims to have developed the system says that the open end cap acts like a closed end cap at low rpms and an open end cap at high rpms. It may go against convention but for what ever reason on my bike it has better throttle response all the way around with the open end cap.

03deuce

I guess I'm missing something here. I just purchased this pipe to put on my ultra. I got a bunch of discs, a completely closed end disc, and a heavier ring for the end (I guess). What's this referral to open vs closed end cap referring to?

Supertrapp website: open end cap

(http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/detail.asp?CatID=69&ItemID=405-3046)

Sonny S.

Closed cap and trim ring came with your pipe. Closed cap means just that...no hole.
Open cap as posted in above pic is optional. It too will work with the trim ring.

Fxstchewy

The first thing I am going to try is LESS discs, I "think" from what i have read is that @ 20 discs you are at max flow and another thing that i noticed is the road-rage is a "stepped" pipe where the ST is not, so i believe i need to subtract discs and see if that helps with the throttle response. Chewy.

Coyote

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I did not unduly interrupt Chewy's topic. Thanks to you all I can see now what I did not before. Didn't realize there were optional parts here. I guess I will try closed end first and see how it works after an FLTRI tune. Cheers.

FLTRI

Quote from: Coyote on January 04, 2009, 06:44:37 PM
Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I did not unduly interrupt Chewy's topic. Thanks to you all I can see now what I did not before. Didn't realize there were optional parts here. I guess I will try closed end first and see how it works after an FLTRI tune. Cheers.
Keith,
I believe this is good for this thread because it concerns the Supermeg and discs with open or closed end cap. Power-wise it is not a big change but the sound does change.
As I mentioned to you, get the sound you want first by trying open and closed end cap, then we'll tune.
Looking forward to it!  :teeth:
Bob