May 08, 2024, 01:36:25 AM

News:

Shop insulation

Started by hotham, January 06, 2009, 07:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

I am putting up a 12 x 16 shop and I want to insulate and drywall.  Are batts still the best way to insulate.  I'd like to have it spray foamed but can't afford it.  Ideas ?

Skin

rolled insulation still works great and it's affordable

bouncingVman

Batts work well and are cheap... Kinda nasty to work with. You might consider a layer of Tyvek on the outside sheathing to keep the wind from blowing through. Blown cellulose for the ceiling. Just a thought. Should be fairly resonable from an expense point of view.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

apes

Tyveck for sure and then Bats then some of the canned foam around windows and doors 

willymax4

rolled craft faced is what i went with, it's got a paper fold on the edges that can be stapled to the studs and keep it in place, it also adds a vapor barrier to the walls. i used 10.5 inch batts between the rafters that friction fit and stay put pretty nicely till you get the ceiling rocked
walls are R13 and ceiling's R25 and it's pretty economicle to heat.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

Mickster

Yup,
I have a 12 x 12 hog hause...insulated and rocked.
Kraft face will give you a vapor barrier and slow drafts, and it's cheap at Menards.
5/8th sheet rock will give you thermal mass, is fire resistant and holds the temp steady.
Then I cover the ultra with cotton blankets with a oil filled heater under the blankets set on it's lowest setting.
The hog hause stays 35 degrees and a thermometer on the seat says she's 72 degrees.
It's worked good for ten years.
No condensation.
Mickster

bigpete1

most local building supply places sell spray foam kits that you do your self disposable canisters includes spraygun and hose pretty reasonable ,that is what i would do ,i am going to do my new garage that way in the spring ,in my shop i put hi r insulation board on walls and ceiling it is r7 per inch i had it from a job i did so cost was not an issue but it is about $15 per 4x 8 sheet ,if you are going to use fiberglass just make sure you use hard foam near the floor so it does not wick moisture up into paper and make insultion fall apart in the wall and create mold.thanks pete   

Hogman

Quote from: bigpete1 on January 06, 2009, 02:12:24 PM
most local building supply places sell spray foam kits that you do your self disposable canisters includes spraygun and hose pretty reasonable ,that is what i would do ,i am going to do my new garage that way in the spring

Hey Pete, You Wouldn't Happen to have a Link or anything for one of those Places that You KNOW Have those Kits Would You?
Thanks in advance Pete.

Hogman

Faast Ed

QuoteTyveck for sure and then Bats then some of the canned foam around windows and doors 

Careful with the canned foam around the doors.
Buddy of mine sprayed in the foam then nailed on his trim.  The stuff expanded to where the door would no longer open! LOL
≡Faast Ed>

harleyjt

Quote from: Faast Ed on January 06, 2009, 02:55:31 PM
QuoteTyveck for sure and then Bats then some of the canned foam around windows and doors 

Careful with the canned foam around the doors.
Buddy of mine sprayed in the foam then nailed on his trim.  The stuff expanded to where the door would no longer open! LOL

He used the wrong foam....  always use minimal expanding foam around door and window jambs if you ever want to open them again.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

wayzalot

I used friction fit fiberglass insulation and then a poly vapor barrier.  Make sure you wear a dust mask because that fiberglass gets down in your lungs.  Can't be good for you.
Hold the drywall off the floor 1/2" and install base board or vinyl base.  Just my .02 worth. Good luck.
"My life is based on a true story"

bigpete1

Quote from: Hogman on January 06, 2009, 02:35:11 PM
most local building supply places sell spray foam kits that you do your self disposable canisters includes spraygun and hose pretty reasonable ,that is what i would do ,i am going to do my new garage that way in the spring

Hey Pete, You Wouldn't Happen to have a Link or anything for one of those Places that You KNOW Have those Kits Would You?
Thanks in advance Pete.

i am a contracter and deal with a local lumber yard that sells this stuff i will check when i go there tomorrow and get the details as far as pricing and a name to get website i have been told it is on ebay as well ,thanks pete

bigpete1

Quote from: wayzalot on January 06, 2009, 03:23:07 PM
I used friction fit fiberglass insulation and then a poly vapor barrier.  Make sure you wear a dust mask because that fiberglass gets down in your lungs.  Can't be good for you.
Hold the drywall off the floor 1/2" and install base board or vinyl base.  Just my .02 worth. Good luck.
[  /quote] i live in upstate ny and if you put poly over your insulation here you will for surely have a moisture problem and end with blacl spots everywhere there is a screw holding the sheetrock,if you put a piece of poly on the floor and come back the next day the will be water droplets under it .it does not breath creating problems ,may be different in other parts of country depending on air moisture content ,thankspete 

Hogman

Quote from: bigpete1 on January 06, 2009, 03:28:25 PM
Quote from: Hogman on January 06, 2009, 02:35:11 PM

Thanks in advance Pete.

i am a contracter and deal with a local lumber yard that sells this stuff i will check when i go there tomorrow and get the details as far as pricing and a name to get website i have been told it is on ebay as well ,thanks pete

THANKS Pete, Appreciate That Man!
Hogman

Phu Cat

If yer gonna put up batts, wear a good (not one of those white paper things with 2 rubber bands attached, they leak)  mask or that stuff will end up in your lungs.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Mark222

I am currently doing (just finishing) my 24 x 36 shop / stand alone garage.  Used 32' roll pink f-glass (r13) cut to fit to fill in the 2x4 framing.  It has a raised 24" foundation wall and is 9' from top of foundation to drywall ceiling.  I have then covered the insulation with OSB sheeting for durability reasons, and it cost less than drywall too.  After 2 coats of Kilz2 primer and one good coat of white latex I have a great looking light reflective, durable interior surface with good thermal properties.  I covered all the seams / OSB joints (vertical and horizontal) with 1" x 2" pine, without any prep or finish.  I will have about $850 total invested, plus my labor.

Plan to find the "right" 220V electric heater with thermostat to maintain about 50* and prevent the condensation and allow me to warn up to 60* or so for shirtsleeve work in little or no time.

Anybody know / recommend a good 220V heater w/ stat?

Mark

harleyjt

Anybody know / recommend a good 220V heater w/ stat?

Try Grainger.  Other than that, Google is your friend.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

dyna01

OSB for the inside. That does sound like a good idea, definitely more durable than drywall.

how

hotham

Thanks for all your ideas.  This forum is amazing.  Answers to most anything.

bigpete1

hogman the spray foam is dow brand it is called froth pak it comes in 180  400 and 600 bd ft containers includes hose and gun with different spray tips .could not get accurate pricing today , you can view this stuff at dow website and look up froth pack ,hope this helps pete   

ST40

I am just finishing a 30x35 garage/shop and am also using OSB on the walls and ceiling with fiberglass bats. I'm not covering the joints as they are all on studs and ceiling joists anyway.    I researched vapor barriers, and decided not to use any.   I read that they were beneficial only part of the year because under some conditions the walls should breathe in order to transfer moisture to the outside.  Makes sense to me I guess.                                     :smiled:                      Marty
Marty

Hogman

Quote from: bigpete1 on January 07, 2009, 12:23:39 PM
hogman the spray foam is dow brand it is called froth pak it comes in 180  400 and 600 bd ft containers includes hose and gun with different spray tips .could not get accurate pricing today , you can view this stuff at dow website and look up froth pack ,hope this helps pete   

Thanks for the Help Pete, Much Appreciated! I'll check into it a little later tonight or tomorrow.
Hogman

89springer

we built a stall where i work. 16 by 20. that would need to be washed out frequently with a power washer. so we used durarock (concrete backer board) for the lower 3 feet and then sheetrock upper. has been built since last winter and still holding good, used fiberglass tape and thinset for the joints. good quality primer and white enamel paint finish. springer

Blazing Saddles

Make sure you plan on adding as many duplex electrical outlets as you will need for general power, work bench and maybe even one on the outside. Make sure you use electrical vapour barrier boots when installing the boxes on the framing then Tuck tape them to the vapour barier when its installed. Lots of people make the wrong chioce of spray foam around the doors and windows - make sure its low expansion asrevoiusly mentioned.

I also ran speaker wire to hook up speakers for the Garage tunes.

Blazin'

Molly

Will that spray stuff work for insulating under the house floorboards? We've a cavity / crawl space under our place that provides access to under the floor but there's no insulation. That's fine today (swealtering in upwards of 40c degrees) but it'll be another story come winter.