May 09, 2024, 10:07:58 AM

News:

WOT---GANGSTA LOOK

Started by RKC03, January 06, 2009, 07:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

I for the life of me can't understand why in the h*ll kids these days wear their pants almost down to their knee's---I also don't know if they or the general population knows where the practice came from (prison), I myself couldn't ever stand it even before it was cool---(and no I didn't wear them at my knees) I prefer my pants to be on my hips--and no...not the hip-huggers of yore....I think the practice looks silly and am not afraid in saying so  :dgust: , I haven't seen many adults doing it, and thank God  :crook:, is anybody else put off by this...maybe these "kids" need to  :rtfb:   :potstir:    :duel:
                                                           RKC03
RKC03

bigblock6912

i've never been able to figure it out either. just plain looks stupid. not to mention kinda unsafe. but what do we know!

Rusty Steel

RKC,
Lol. It is simply priceless to see the faces of the thug-wantabee's.. when you tell them how and where that fashion came from.
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

Panzer

Not only the pants, but the hat too, always worn on the side and the brim flat.......looks dumb.   :hyst:
Always makes me laugh.   I don't think any of them own a mirror.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

tireater

They have slang terms for the injuries you get tripping on those pants...
On the plus side....It's easy for the cops to catch them if they run...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

bouncingVman

And long hair too.... Oh wait... that was my generation.  :smilep:

:teeth:
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

Juice

Society will never accept it as a fashion, I know I don't. Last summer 3 punks dressed like that robbed a guy on the street here in the burbs, people driving by saw it and called the police and they gave chase (quick responce here). The idiots ran threw back yards to get away and one of them was mine and I heard them (about 2 am) and went out there, police were everywhere when one of the officers came from behind a house with the first kid caught. He had no pants on, they fell off when he tried to run. The cops and I were all laughing our aces of. I showed two officers how to get threw my backyard (wooded) to the other lot out back and they found the other two idiots hiding there holding their pants up. It made the police blotter here in the local paper,,,,,,frigging idiots

I do know that on the streets it's supposed to mean they have a pocket full of money in one and a gun in the other.
Caught because his pants fell off     :hyst:

shovelmonster76

They supposedly made it illegal here in Atlanta. I don't know how that turned out. I think I'd rather be in a gunfight with a gangster because he has to hold his pants up with one hand and tilt his head sideways so he can aim with the other. :duel:
Watch out for those Alligators

Baggerlady

I have seen them try to run and not be able to, its too funny! And what is with the "baggy, looks like I'm wearing a dress" shorts? I mean they might as well have a dress on! :dgust: :rose:

CraigArizona85248

LOL... it's like listening to a bunch of old farts.  Those dang kids... GET OFF MY LAWN!   :hyst:

HIPPO

Quote from: shovelmonster76 on January 06, 2009, 08:41:38 PM
They supposedly made it illegal here in Atlanta. I don't know how that turned out. I think I'd rather be in a gunfight with a gangster because he has to hold his pants up with one hand and tilt his head sideways so he can aim with the other. :duel:

Display of plumbers crack without a license?

Coyote

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 06, 2009, 09:46:13 PM
LOL... it's like listening to a bunch of old farts.  Those dang kids... GET OFF MY LAWN!   :hyst:

Now that's funny right there.... don't care who you are!  :hyst:

Molly

I teach them so get a classroom full of kids showing their bloody shorts. Looks stupid to me too. Similarly, I don't understand why old people wear their pants under their armpits.

We all wore stupid things when we were younger. I was a 'big hair' metal head with snakeskin pants and all the crap that went with it. Still, I looked cool...

someday69

I like that sticker-  We were stupid first...

seattledyna

as long as were on the subject...I can never understand the appeal of the underpowered automatic four cylinder Civic with the coffee can exhaust, worst sounding vehicle I have ever heard!  especially at 2am as they are cruising thru town.

and yes dont we sound like the old guys in the neighborhood that complained about the stuff we did 40 years ago, lol

truck

Quote from: seattledyna on January 06, 2009, 11:09:59 PM
as long as were on the subject...I can never understand the appeal of the underpowered automatic four cylinder Civic with the coffee can exhaust, worst sounding vehicle I have ever heard!  especially at 2am as they are cruising thru town.

and yes dont we sound like the old guys in the neighborhood that complained about the stuff we did 40 years ago, lol
:up:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

moose

no offence , but I think they wear them like that because they don't want to leave there buddy's behind !

:)
Moose aka Glenn-

76shuvlinoff

I might be younger than some and older than others here. Did high school in the 70s .

Although I sure don't get the crotch around the knees look... I sure as hell don't want any of my pictures from high school to surface either.

:embarrassed:

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

Craig,
     You gonna go see Gran Torino? From the looks of the trailer Eastwood asks some young, ahem "gentlemen" to cease stepping on his grass with some less than subtle persuasion. Freakin' old fart vigilante...
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Redleg

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on January 06, 2009, 09:46:13 PM
Dang nab-it I am an Old Fart and it took awhile to get there....... But I got there.... :wtf:

billbuilds

Redleg,
     I'm an old fart too by most standards. I hope that you caught the sarcism in my post. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

ohio-rider

LOL... Talk about funny dressers, have you seen some of the clothes that bikers are wearing theses days? Opps! Never mind.  :smiled:

RK101

I'm and old fart also. I certainly don't get the look. Then again most older people didn't like rock and roll and the look that came with that in the 50's either.
I just look at it as it's there turn,to do there thing. They'll grow out of it when it's time to find a real job or they won't, in which case they always be looked upon as someone who isn't smart enough to dress themselves. LOL

Funny thing I wore a leather motorcycle jacket in the 50 when I was to young to own a motorcycle, and I'm still wearing one now that I do. Some things I guess never go out of style I guess and some attitudes die hard.   

Now all I want to know from the wife is, Will you still need me will you still feed me when I'm 64.   :hyst:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

MrClean

"Is that a woman or a man?"  From Bob Segers Turn the Page.  I went through that period in time.
Some of you sound like the 'Old Fuddy Duddys" from back in the day of those "long hairs". :wink:
And the cars that make the odd exhaust noise.  If they can hear my Harley exhaust at 2 am, then I can listen to theirs.
Times change and styles change with the times.  I hope I am around to see the changes that my grandson and granddaughter will deal with.
Hey, the pants that look like they are about to fall off make me smile.  Do they look funny.  Yep.  And then I think about what I looked like when I was a kid. :hyst:
These are the facts according to my opinions.

Big Dan

January 07, 2009, 06:15:23 AM #24 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:30:48 AM by Big Dan
Mr Clean,
That may be the most logical, sensible post I've ever read.

What the hell is wrong with you?  :teeth: Can't you see we're trying to be cranky old men?
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: billbuilds on January 07, 2009, 04:01:32 AM
     Craig,
     You gonna go see Gran Torino? From the looks of the trailer Eastwood asks some young, ahem "gentlemen" to cease stepping on his grass with some less than subtle persuasion. Freakin' old fart vigilante...

LOL... yeah... I'm gonna go see that one.

And yeah... the "gangsta" look is pretty goofy.  My stepson used to dress like that.  Then he joined the army back in June.  He leaves for Iraq tomorrow.  So lets not be too hard on these kids.  Six months from now they may be putting their hide on the line for God and Country.  It's just the way that generation dresses.

When I think back at the way I dressed... oh boy  ;D  When I was a kid we lived a long way from our Grandparents so we only saw them once every year or two.  I remember one year we arrived for a visit and my sister and I walked to the place where my Grandmother worked to see her before she got home.  When we walked up to her she was giving us this odd stare, then she recognized us and said... "Oh... I thought you were two of those dirty hippies from California."  HAHA... nice to see you too Grandma.  Haha.

-Craig

vans24

cant run away from the cops if your pants are that low!
:wink:

HarleyCharley

It's called the " Y " generation.  :hyst:

Phu Cat

I feel like I've done my civic duty when I see one of those kids with their pants around their knees and I point out where the bathroom is so they can get rid of that load of s%*$# in their pants.

On a side note, a kid was running from the cops that had his pants real low.  When the kid reached down to pull his pants up, the cop thought he was reachin for a gun and shot him.  Darned shame.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

98roadking

This past weekend I was moving some furnature around and came across a couple of old scrapbooks my Mom had done of my high school sports accomplishments. My 13 year old son is always giving me crap about what it was like in the 50's, I was really in high school in the 70's. I started showing him the pictures and he laughed at our short shorts, picture Larry Bird. His shorts are too short if you can see his kneecaps. At least his butt isn't showing. The kids I coach that come out with the saggy pants on, my assistant coach (a sheriff detective) and I make them run in drills and laugh as they run with one hand holding them up. About the third parctice they come with shorts that fit. He tells them that the look comes from jails, they had no idea. There is a bar in town that has a sign in the front window that says, "baseball hats to be worn properly, that means bills in the front".

Panzer

January 07, 2009, 07:50:39 AM #30 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:13:18 AM by Panzer

Remember Naru (sp) jackets, pegged pants and flag fliers.
   They were "kool".

And the rods we drove with cherry bomb mufflers.....mmmm, sounded like a Harley.
The foreign cars hopped up today sound like sh** tin cans in a tunnel.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

MrClean

I posted this address on the '08 Cruise Control thread.  It also seems to fit this string.

"Speedball" by Ray Stevens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzYcahVi3c

Tollbooth

We sound like those old folks that said "Those D/A haircuts are from the devil"
Oh wait! We are old folks...
TB

truck

Wolf whistles, Bermuda bells, DA haircuts, long sideburns, aaahhhhhhhhh the good old days.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

4DWUDS

We are the children our parents warned us about.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

RK101

Nothing sounded better at the time than a 1950 flat head V8 Ford with twin glass packs. No car was cooler than a 57 Chevy 2 door BelAir with that big 283 cu in engine though. LOL
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Rusty Steel

FWIW, this trendy style came from the jail house, those that wore their pants below their butt meant that they were taken, as in, they were someone’s bitch.

Tell that to the next Gangsta’s you come across. Lol  :hyst:
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

Kansas

My last year of high school in Chicago I had to report in to the discipline office every morning before I could go to class to show my shirt was tucked in and my hair wasn't too long.  That may have been the last time my shirt was tucked in except for special occasions since.  That was 42 years ago.

Phu Cat

No car was cooler than a 57 Chevy 2 door BelAir with that big 283 cu in engine though.

Atleast until the 396 Chevelle came along.  Just about any car from the 50', 60's or 70's with a V-8 isn't too bad.  Had a V-8 83 Monte Carlo that wasn't acceptable.

PC

IndyHarley

January 07, 2009, 09:55:27 AM #39 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:01:03 AM by IndyHarley
I am sure pegged pants, greased hair looked pretty stupid to my parents also. It's just fashion - it comes and it goes and it even returns and then goes away again but I guess intolerance and tunnel vision never leaves.

I don't mean to attack anyones opinions but my son wears his pants the same low way - he had no idea where the fashion came from and now that he does he doesn't care because all his friends wear their pants the same way. he's my son and no amount of fashion silliness would stop me from loving him. Give 'em a break as I am sure that they think your stupid chromed out over priced bike looks pretty stupid to them also as he certainly says that about my bike. :hyst:
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

HIPPO

I don't care what they look like, but the boom box speakers in the cars piss me off when they park close to my place.

One day a unidentified person walked up to them, pulled the pin and rolled a (empty) hand grenade though the window and into their lap. They have not been back.  :hyst:

Panzer

When I was 18, I went to pick up my girlfriend at her house on my bike.
After being there for approx. 10 minutes, my friends on bikes came up the drive to the parking area.
About 8 guys with girls all were two up.
Her mom said she won't let her out with those hoodlums.
One in our group had a "Norton square four".........mmmm.
We all came back with cars about 1/2 hour later.
Her mother said....."Now that's a better group".
We ditched the cars and rode the bikes anyway.
Did we look like gangsters??......yup. :hyst:   but our pants were on our hips then.

ST40

Speaking of crooked or backwards hats, I've seen our president-elect with his hat on backwards more than once and he is no youngster!  Of course I realize he is very opportunistic like most politicians but to me it's hard to show a lot of respect to someone who doesn't care enough about his image.              When I talk to my two daughters' boy friends when their hats are on crooked and flat I can't hardly stand it.  Makes 'em look "challenged" if you know what I mean.  All that said, I took more than a little grief from older rednecks in the 70's because of my hair and attitude.  And I didn't change till I was damned good and ready to!     :smiled:     Marty
Marty

Panzer

4DWUDS

January 07, 2009, 11:42:19 AM #44 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:45:59 AM by 4DWUDS
Do ya think a hat would help this guy ?

Big Dan

Do ya think a hat would help this guy ?

Couldn't hurt.....  :wtf:
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

carolinayarddog

I heard a contemporary gospel rap song today entitled "Pull Your Pants Up"; apparently this trend is even getting on young peoples nerves

Phu Cat

I am sure that they think your stupid chromed out over priced bike looks pretty stupid to them also as he certainly says that about my bike. 

Well, yeah, Indy.  While there's no accounting for taste, we win this one cuz our bikes are still worth a lot at resale time.  Not to mention the chacacter they have.  My son didn't understand in his early days either, but he does now.  He wants this bike SOOOOO bad he can't stand it.

PC

hdjax2

Looks like my step son without the fishing tackle

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Stuck in Lodi, Ca

Faast Ed

QuoteAnd long hair too.... Oh wait... that was my generation.

Many moons ago, our elders were saying the same comments about our long hair. "It looks so stupid", yet to us it was them that looked stupid.
Sign of old age, but I have to agree that running around with your pants down is hard to image as being "cool". LOL
≡Faast Ed>

nev7756

I tell my kids that I hope I live long enough to see their kids (with genetic breakthroughs) showing how bad they are by having an extra functioning middle finger attached to their foreheads.

tinkerman

Yup,

Looks sloppy and lazy but my old man couldn't get over my hair down to my shoulders and the head band so I just try and turn a blind eye to it. The whole generational thing goes full circle and now we are the old fogies with old ideas.

Old Farts? Some days I am just happy to be able to fart.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

One4Tone

..some gangser wrapper..kicked the bucket ...theyr wearin their pants half mast :wtf:

sixxfoot

As Hippo said, plumbers crack has been around
long before this. They are just catchin up, it was the
style for some people years ago. Gangsters...in movies
allways dress with style, and were on the down low
The bottle ain't the blame ....it just lets you ...Mike Cooley DBT

RKC03

Quote from: Rusty Steel on January 07, 2009, 09:20:40 AM
FWIW, this trendy style came from the jail house, those that wore their pants below their butt meant that they were taken, as in, they were someone’s bitch.

Tell that to the next Gangsta’s you come across. Lol  :hyst:
R Steel,  that's the way I heard it was started...but very interesting the posts this thread has brought out!!!
                                                                                                            :teeth:  RKC03  :smiled:
RKC03

Phu Cat

Our look back in the 60's was just about being a rebel.  Today's look is more about intimidation and wanting others to think they're bad enough to shoot someone for some perceived slight in MHO.

PC

Juice

Well,, I was in High School in the 70's so lets see here,,,,,,silk (fuggly lookin) shirts, low hip cut pants, bell bottoms, tie dies, 3 inch plattform shoes, long hair (never cut), belts i wouldn't even use as a dog coller now, and oh ya,,Head shops that sold you even stupider things to wear.
Thinking back the only thing that brings a smile to my face is that car,,,,,,oh ya,,,,the ladie catcher
1970 Olds Custlass 442/w30,  to this day when I see one its like getting the puppy eyes from my daughter

seattledyna

January 07, 2009, 08:49:11 PM #57 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:53:15 PM by seattledyna
Ok, I will be the first to step up with a pic of me, as a 17yo college student in 1973, I know you guys have pics to share as well!

this was the look of the day!  belt buckle askew, waffle stompers, ya got holes in the elbows...you just cut the sleeves off, lol

apes

You know what is a real drag is if the muisic from your glory days was disco....and just think, at some point we become our children's children

02roadcling

Get off that top right now! You know better than to scratch the paint with denim! You should have your pants down and nice soft silky undies when you sit there.  :hyst:
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

02roadcling

Grenade story by the Hip, lmao  :up:
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

madskillsjc

Yo what up with the disrespect yo? Foshizzle you some old farts! Have to love the vernacular that comes with the dress, but as much as I dislike and think it looks stupid I am sure if I posted my pics from high school, we'd be having a whole new conversation here.

MrClean

What about those that wear pajama pants?  I saw a young girl, 18-20yrs old, with a pair of Mickey Mouse PJ pants, T shirt and flip flops in the mall the other day.

02roadcling

she was tired and wanted to sleep with you
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

RKC03

There's "new" jeans that they sell the kids thes days that already have holes in the knees and elsewhere....may be the only way they will get there with the work ethic some kids have these days...just saying...the TRUTH...WYT?  RKC03
RKC03

MrClean

Quote from: 02roadcling on January 08, 2009, 05:35:39 AM
she was tired and wanted to sleep with you

Well I would be warmer than a Teddy Bear.

Deye76

The only reason I think wearing pants half way to the ground is dumb, is because common sense should always prevail. Saw a kid crossing a 7 lane hwy, about 2/3 across the light changed and he noticed traffic starting to proceed. When he upped his pace the pants came down around his ankles, and down he went. One car almost didn't see him, and nearly ran him over.

BTW, my 85 year old mother still freaks when she see's my "shirtsleeve" art work. :teeth:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

4DWUDS

Careful, some of us here went to school before cameras were invented  :hyst:

Wingnut

On the other hand, I didn't hear any of you complain when you you see some young hottie in low cut hip huggers, showing off her tramp stamp tattoo and thong underware.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

seattledyna

MrClean

Quote from: Wingnut on January 08, 2009, 05:26:05 PM
On the other hand, I didn't hear any of you complain when you you see some young hottie in low cut hip huggers, showing off her tramp stamp tattoo and thong underware.

Or that bare belly look :hyst:

Black Jack

'95 Fatty '02 E-Glide
HTT 7/7/03

mrmotoguzzi00

OMG can we ban MrClean from posting pics ?  that is some nasty...   :crook:
'04 Road Glide
UPDATED - Nokomis, FL

Biscuit

I totally agree.  Crack kills.

"I do all my own stunts".

02roadcling

That lady in #71 could use some navel jewelry! I mean, come on lady, you pull your dress clear up to your bellybutton and then don't even decorate it for us?
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

crazy joe

Quote from: seattledyna on January 07, 2009, 08:49:11 PM

this was the look of the day!  belt buckle askew, waffle stompers, ya got holes in the elbows...you just cut the sleeves off, lol

Damn I must have missed something I still dress like that minus the bell bottoms  : )

shovelmonster76

Bare belly look? Dude you ain't right. :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Watch out for those Alligators