April 27, 2024, 06:35:08 AM

News:

SCAVANGER PUMP on strike

Started by 73ironhead, July 09, 2011, 11:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ironhead

Howdy talkers..I've been missing for a while and I am sure glad HTT is still around..

got my '73 out on the 4th - being doing so since I got it 9 ago - and she ran docile and nasty at the touch like the old times; only thing I noticed is that she ain't marking territory no more...you know how that is you hate to do it to your friend with the new driveway but you just look for it at any other stop..

..anyway, the exhaust under the oil pump - which I believe is the exhaust for the scvanger pump is clean like a wissle...and I am worried..

cheers.. :scratch: :soda:

eglideic

July 10, 2011, 05:38:03 PM #1 Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:20:06 AM by eglideic
 That tube is the cam case breather.
Are you saying you only ride that bike one day a year?
Sometimes the oil pump check ball will stick and if the bike sets for a long time the oil will get past the check valve and fill the cam case with oil and when the engine is started it will puke out the excess oil through the breather tube.
If it didn't puke out any oil this time, I would say the bike is either out of oil, or the check ball is working properly.

garyajaz

thanks for your reply eglidic.
i know old ironheads fairly well.
bought mine new in 74 and highly modified it.
when i had indy shop in the day i stroked many  of them.
yada yada...anyway i read the original post several times.

scavenge pump breather??? he had me scratching my head.

i think you called it right..

for general info 73

my check ball did leak years ago.  i also only ride it on occasion now cause kicking it over been no fun  (high comp 80 inches)
when it sumps running it for a few mins clears it out.
trick is to not add oil cause tank is low.  lol
it will fill back up...
also if check ball leaks there is a fix other than removing the engine and removing oil pump and the like.
take a new check ball (get 2 of them) on one stick weld a rod onto the ball.
take said stick and ball after removing oil pump pressure sendeer and internals and lightly lap in the ball seat...
clean thourely. purge system by running with sender off...install new ball.  should work...

good you keeping old iron alive...

nibroc

good luck with that "lap or tap" procedure--hard to get results!!!

garyajaz

73ironhead

thanks for postings...still not clear about the leaking that stops after many years of small drips...oil level is fine...I had the 'oil pump check valve' stick a few times with big puddles over the years but I never had no leaks...

...ain't that something, worring for the end of a leak...!?!? just us....

no...no.. I ride the monster all year-around I m in socal...brought it to Mexico two years ago...look it up 'el diabo run.mov' on youtube

thanks guys...L.

saltcaveminer

be happy! some sportys never stop puking.as long as the oil is returning to the bag life is good!Salty

73ironhead

...good part thanks to you that my baby is still running...glad to hear from you salty...cheers L.