May 03, 2024, 04:24:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

helmet, what do you wear?

Started by jd8181, January 09, 2009, 11:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd8181

i was just wondering what kind and brand of helmets everyone wears? here in indiana there's not a helmet law but i know to many people who have either died or got really hurt by getting hit, hitting a deer, etc.
i wear my hjc half helmet (flat black with flames) during the summer, and my hjc full face once it gets below 35 degrees (it gets alittle cold on the face with no windshield).
does anyone wear harley half helmets?? i just traded a guy from a hd half helmet for a local harley shirt and not sure how much i'm going to like it
2003 Night Train 95" SE Pistons, S&S Cams, Hooker's , SERT, etc....
What's Next

HV

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Panzer

I brought my HD two years ago, has ear flaps and small visor.
Comfy.........kinda keeps the noise down and ears warm.
I trade off with a DOT, German helmet sometimes in the warmer weather.
Good quality in the HD helmet MHO.
Save your nogin, wear it.
Maybe, sometime you'll be glad you did, but I hope you never find out.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

FLH

I wear an ACC carbon fiber half helmet in the flat black version. I also have a Skid Lid, but don't use it. When it's cold, I wear one of those fleece headband things to go around my ears. When it's REAL cold, I wear my snowmobile helmet with a heated shield. And when it's REAL cold, I leave the bikes in the garage.

help-u2

full coverage, heavy bell star.
this type of helmet has saved my head/life a few times...
dont leave home without it...

besides it builds up the neck muscles....lol

Skullfork

January 09, 2009, 12:38:57 PM #5 Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:36:44 PM by Evil-Eagle
Another vote here for the ACC Carbon Fiber ...when I have to wear one. A little pricey, but it's the most comfortable I've ever worn. It's DOT approved, weighs 23 ozs and doesn't give you that mushroom head look. I've got the natural carbon extended half shell ...

www.carbonfiberhelmets.com

CraigArizona85248

I use the ACC polo helmet.  The DOT certified model.

-Craig

autoworker

It must be true,I read it on the internet.

crazy joe

Super Seer  wouldn't wear any thing else.

tireater

I have a bunch of helmets....I like this one....

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Blockhead80

If it's raining or I'm in a helmet state I wear a Super Seer.

Jeffd

I am fortunate in Montana we let those who ride decide (over 18 that is) and i have always exercised my right to wear a full face Arai or Shoei.  I have one of each. Both are very comfortable and both make me look down right cool LOL.  When I am in Sturgis I really feel like a 1%er as I am among the 1% that wears a helmet.

lionsm13

Don't have to wear one in SD where I live.. Don't usually go to states where I have to either..

Sportsterboy

I used to have 3 different HJC helmets that I wore depending on the temperatures.  I have a 1/2 helmet with removable ear/neck covers (a CL5, I think) that is for HOT weather.  I have a CL33 which is a 3/4 helmet with flip up face shield that I wear most of the time now :up:.  I used to have a CL12 full face that I only wore in really cold temps.  I finally sold (gave) the full face to a sport bike rider at work that was in need of a helmet. :smile: 

deltafarmer

Brand makes no difference,  match helment quality with brain quality.

truck

Approved by Snell and you are good to go.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Dakota

I tried on a bunch of them and ended up with a 3/4 Fulmer with a flip  up shield.  Don't particularly like the looks of it but really like the fit and shield.  I always wear it when traveling but around home in the summer I wear a 1/2 Kerr that looks like carbon fiber but it's not.  Fits me well and lets more air around it and was only $50 or so.
  The flip up shield is nice when traveling as we don't stop for rain unless it's really storming-a shield really helps being able to see.
Experience is something you get right after you needed it.

HDRDR

I like the ACC its the lightest helmet out there...that I could find :up:

HIPPO

hotham

Started with a Bell Star full face many years ago.  For the last 20 I have worn nothing but the best, a Shoei Quantum full face.  Expensive, but worth it.  I replace mine every 5/6 years.

Molly

Top spec. Arai.

When I was knocked from my bike my head took a considerable banging and scraping along the road. The Arai I was wearing that day probably saved my life.

someday69

Always a fullface,,,,I start looking around for the best deal,,in all the sportbike shops when I need another one,,so far I've had two different shoie .....last time I found one that was on sale,,I wore it around the shop for almost 1/2hr before I was convinstd it would fit ok....I think it was 130.....Its still works great four yrs later...I'm wait'in for something with a rear view heads up display....with Police radar jam'in capabilities,,,,and all the phone #'s of all the women I look at..and of course how far to the next burger king...oh ya and gas station too....someday...

sandrooney

If you have a $10.00 head were a $10.00 helmet. If you are going to wear one it might as well be a good one.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Milehog

Super Seer, true all day comfort.
Proud IBA member

Princess Butt

I have a helmet collection going on here. I have to wear a helmet in Virginia, and quite frankly, the couple times I was in a free state and I rode without a helmet, it felt really weird.

For daily commuting, my full face Shoei and my HJC 3/4 helmets are the choice. I just picked up an HJC flip face from the Harley shop, and the jury is still out on that one.

Weekends and trips, I wear a Shoei half helmet. It's getting a little beat up, I'll probably replace it shortly.

Wear what fits your head. If it doesn't fit right, it won't protect you because it will move around. If it's uncomfortable, it's gonna hurt on the pressure points if / when it meets something.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.