May 09, 2024, 08:42:19 AM

News:

AIR CLEANERS ?

Started by crazy joe, January 10, 2009, 09:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy joe

I was reading a post last week...... someone added,,,,,,
(this is not a post about K&N or any other air filter, if you feel this is a topic of interest, do create another post.)  So now I'm curious and starting this one.
Are there better air filters then K&N's   I thought they were about the best,
maybe not?    Any feed back?

Milehog

Oiled cotton gauze (K&N) filters do offer low air restriction which is great when the throttle is wide open. There is a price though. They have been shown to let more silica and other particulate through than dry elements do.
I'm currently running an Amsoil Nano Fiber element. The throttle seems to be cleaner than when the K&N was in place.
Proud IBA member

harleyjt

Seems to me that if you increase air flow.... you're also going to increase dirt flow.  I'm sure the K&N and other similar hi-flow filters do a wonderful job of catching rocks..... but wtf do I know.   
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Milehog

A conventional paper filter element with the same flow as the K&N, while it may have to be a little largar, will admit less particulate.
Sorry, i'm not going to provide the data to back this up but it can be found on the web.
Proud IBA member

Faast Ed

Me thinks that when "particulate" get that small, the damage they cause is minimal.

Not into that Amsoil/Mary Kay stuff.
≡Faast Ed>

06RoadGlider

I am also running K+N high flow and like your ??? as I would think the more crap you can keep your engine from being exposed to the better, longer it will perform with less wear.
thanks to all for there input JJ
" to all a great ride and return safe"

skeets

I don't know for sure but K&N on the old bike and had boucoup miles on that old Honda, kid tore it down after he bought it for a winter project, and told me later that the motor looked great inside.. Now  Little Red has had a K&N since she was new (01) and she is no garage queen I might add. The filter gets cleaned and oiled every oil change,, no need to really,, More air in = more air out=more power or so it seems,,Just MHO you understand
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

Old Crow

They say that the K&N works better after it's gotten a bit dirty.  I usually do mine once a year...or about every 12k miles.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

CrazyRay

Quote from: Old Crow on January 10, 2009, 05:40:59 PM
They say that the K&N works better after it's gotten a bit dirty.  I usually do mine once a year...or about every 12k miles.

... better at collecting dirt maybe, but air flow can't possibly be as good.

Sonny S.

Are there better air filters then K&N's ?

Amsoil Nano Fiber element.  :up:

Bottom line regardless of what anyone wants to believe is..... as stated, an oiled cotton gauze filter is not the best choice for actually filtering air. Actually, it's about the worst. Like it or not...it's true. The K&N filter does what it's designed to do....allow hi amounts of air to flow through it.
Hey, I run K&N filters too, but I do so knowing it is what it is.

Before you doubt the quality of the Amsoil filter... search " Synthetic Nano Fiber filtration."  It's what is used in a lot of Industrial air compressors, Tractor trailers, M1 Abrams tanks, turbine filters.
You might not like the name Amsoil but their filters are top notch.

ED,   Amsoil/Mary Kay ?  :wtf:

Memnar

The Cummins diesel forum I go to also does not like the K&N air filters.

Some have stated on that forum that putting a K&N on the Cummins diesel voided the warranty when they tried to get service later....
Albuquerque, NM.

Bakon

Nothing against the filters, but the Amsoil Mary Kay line was the funniest I read in here. :hyst:
wasting time

apendejo

Me thinks that when "particulate" get that small, the damage they cause is minimal.

I am thinking that was a goof on the "multi-level marketing" thing associated with those products.
AP

Sonny S.

Quote from: apendejo on January 12, 2009, 04:30:08 PM

I am thinking that was a goof on the "multi-level marketing" thing associated with those products.
AP

Yeah it was but....jeez, BFD !    I don't personally feel threatened by the way any of them market their products....guess some do.
Heck, look at some of the tactics used on the Harley forums....lotta BS there.
I'd rather buy from any one of those MLM company's than give $1 to WalMart. Funny how most think WalMart is the greatest thing since sliced bread though....yeah there's an honest, wholesome company standing for all that's good and American.
ok, getting off track
:pop:

Panzer

Is there a Tupperwear filter available ??
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Sonny S.

Quote from: Panzer on January 12, 2009, 05:34:59 PM
Is there a Tupperwear filter available ??

No, they make the filter cover ....duh   :hyst:

Bakon

Didn't know that. Just gave Mike $50 for a cover for my Zippers filter. ALways one step behind. :hyst:
wasting time

crazy joe

So if there's a better one   what brand     any engine guys want to pipe in?
What I do know is a dirty air cleaner   cleans better then a clean air cleaner

ElPaso 52

Ron
56FL

Sonny S.

Quote from: ELPASO 52 on January 13, 2009, 02:47:33 AM
Check this.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

that study is outdated. It doesn't show the Amsoil EA nano fiber filters. Does tell ya a lot about the K&N though, and they have'nt changed

egstandard

Anybody using the Amsoil EA nano air filter got a part number for twin cam? I couldn't find it on their site.

Deye76

If your worried about fine particulates you can always change your oil more often. I run a K&N air filter (oil filter too) and Blackstone informed me to lengthen my oil change intervals. So the K&N must be doing it's job.
I'm with FastEd, no scamsoil/marykay for me either. :teeth:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Sonny S.

Quote from: egstandard on January 13, 2009, 05:24:05 AM
Anybody using the Amsoil EA nano air filter got a part number for twin cam? I couldn't find it on their site.

Look here :    https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLookups/PowerSportsLookup.aspx

Quote from: Deye76 on January 13, 2009, 05:43:07 AM
If your worried about fine particulates you can always change your oil more often. I run a K&N air filter (oil filter too) and Blackstone informed me to lengthen my oil change intervals. So the K&N must be doing it's job.

yup...it's a scam  :wtf:   Deye, you fraid somebody is gonna take your money, and not give you your oil ?   :hyst:
wait, I got it..... it's not really motor oil it's EVOO and your motor will blow up  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

just teasin ya... :wink:

harleyjt

Quote from: Deye76 on January 13, 2009, 05:43:07 AM

Changing the oil doesn't help clean out the dirt in the top end that made it through a low restriction air filter and into the intake system.  The dirt - even the fine stuff - acts like sandpaper on the cylinder walls and rings and causes premature and excessive wear.  In diesel terminology, its called a "sanded" engine.  Low compression and excessive blowby and excessive oil consumption is the result.  The engine becomes a great boat anchor.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Milehog

Never mind that the particulate goes through the top end before it ends up in the oil.  ::)
Proud IBA member