May 08, 2024, 12:08:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HTT120 Build

Started by wurk_truk, August 30, 2011, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wurk_truk

Quote from: Deweysheads on August 31, 2011, 08:14:53 PM
If I was in the HQ realm the HQ600 would be the cam of my choice. It is an animal, a bit like a Wood 8

And I THINK he means with normal heads.
Oh No!

Don D

I am not aware that you can buy either standard or +.010 Flat Top SE 120r pistons out of the kit :scratch:

HD/Wrench

Well there is a part number with the packet you get with the engine.

rbabos

Quote from: Deweysheads on September 01, 2011, 04:25:07 PM
I am not aware that you can buy either standard or +.010 Flat Top SE 120r pistons out of the kit :scratch:
Not 100% on that but have seen pistons only come up on some HD web sites. Pretty sure replacements and oversizes can be had when needed. :nix:
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: wurk_truk on September 01, 2011, 03:10:25 PM
Theres been a rev showing up on both cranks.  That rev isn't in Chicago HDs data base.

24100004 shows up and it is $1124.96  US. Whole "A" engine is 5126 and I think if I could...  I would buy whole engine for $43-4500 and be done.  But... dont know where from.... yet...  I've started my call arounds and seeing if somewhere will sell us at 20% discount on parts.  I know there is an embargo to parts outside the US right now...  so I will do whatever you want on this buying and shipping Ron.

SE 2012 catalog lists your crank as  24100004a

Truc: That damn embargo has always been in effect for us. Glad you offered since I was going to do that but didn't feel right about asking. Thanks. Teardown will likely happen mid Nov, so this gives a bit of time to plan it out with pricing and decisions.
Ron

Herko

"SE120R SCREAMIN' EAGLE PRO RACE-USE CRATE ENGINE"
Piston kit, front and rear, with ring sets, piston pin and lock rings, standard 22574-10
Piston kit, front and rear, with ring sets, piston pin and lock rings, 0.010 inch over size 22576-10

Know of a builder several months back that procured a set of .010 overs (for a 120R) to clean up/correct new barrels.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

rbabos

Quote from: strokerjlk on September 01, 2011, 03:41:53 PM
Ron
JMO
ditch the hq 575. I think it was don who said tw 60. all you need is 4 -5 cc's for 190 ccp . 200 ccp with your heads like they are?
No matter what you decide I think the hq 575 is history.
or
sell swap trade your heads for some 110 style heads then choose cams.  :nix:
Jim: That can't be possible from what I see. I'm running 200 now and with the extra swept volume of the 4.625 crank and with the existing head cc's it should be a lot higher. Plus I'd be losing the present -7cc from the CP's going to the SE pistons which makes it even worse. :nix: :scratch:
Why you picking on my cam. I was going to force you to tune it to my satisfaction, if you can. :hyst:
Seriously, it pulls like a bitch all the way up, so what's the issue with them?
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Herko on September 01, 2011, 05:04:47 PM
"SE120R SCREAMIN' EAGLE PRO RACE-USE CRATE ENGINE"
Piston kit, front and rear, with ring sets, piston pin and lock rings, standard 22574-10
Piston kit, front and rear, with ring sets, piston pin and lock rings, 0.010 inch over size 22576-10

Know of a builder several months back that procured a set of .010 overs (for a 120R) to clean up/correct new barrels.
Awesome.
Ron

Don D

Sorry for the misinformation but I went by this instruction which stated for item #2 pistons "not sold seperately" yet I do see the pistons in the SE 2012 catalog
Instruction sheet number J05462

strokerjlk

Quote from: rbabos on September 01, 2011, 05:10:47 PM
Quote from: strokerjlk on September 01, 2011, 03:41:53 PM
Ron
JMO
ditch the hq 575. I think it was don who said tw 60. all you need is 4 -5 cc's for 190 ccp . 200 ccp with your heads like they are?
No matter what you decide I think the hq 575 is history.
or
sell swap trade your heads for some 110 style heads then choose cams.  :nix:
Jim: That can't be possible from what I see. I'm running 200 now and with the extra swept volume of the 4.625 crank and with the existing head cc's it should be a lot higher. Plus I'd be losing the present -7cc from the CP's going to the SE pistons which makes it even worse. :nix: :scratch:
Why you picking on my cam. I was going to force you to tune it to my satisfaction, if you can. :hyst:
Seriously, it pulls like a bitch all the way up, so what's the issue with them?
Ron

that is what I came up with on bigboyz. :nix: 11.3 static 9.6 corrected201 ccp with 85 cc heads.tw 60 cams. now will your heads work :nix:
that was the  reason I put the hq 575 in my 106, was to tune them with diff exhaust. I just think after 107 there are better choices.they can be a bitch.I think that is why you dont see them as much anymore.
Truk
what does that 96 ci have on it 10,000 miles? "cheap" take your stock heads to 76 cc throw the 54 in and tune it for now. you could just do this on a weekend, this year. "cheap"
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

autoworker

:beer:
Had to wash my popcorn down.

BTW,the 575 is a weird cam.I run one,I know.

:pop:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

rbabos

Quote from: autoworker on September 01, 2011, 06:09:02 PM

Define weird?
Ron

lonewolf

September 01, 2011, 06:50:56 PM #62 Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:14:19 PM by lonewolf
Ron why wouldn't you just use a different crank to match the HQ's pistons? Set of os pistons and everything you have except TB would fit as is.

autoworker

September 01, 2011, 07:04:37 PM #63 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:34:54 AM by autoworker
Quote from: rbabos on September 01, 2011, 06:27:03 PM

Sounds great (huge!) at idle.Pulls well from the bottom,goes flat somewhere around 5250 rpm.With a good tune it never does anything objectionable but doesn't do anything that stands out either.Kind of boring.It acts kind of lazy,or fat, in responsiveness compared to the Andrews 37.
Good bagger cam if set up right and tuned well and you don't expect anything other than linear power delivery when you hammer it.
I wouldn't recommend it in anything over 110 in.

Define weird?
Ron
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

rbabos

Quote from: lonewolf on September 01, 2011, 06:50:56 PM
Ron why wouldn't you just use a different crank to match the HQ's pistons? Set of os pistons and everything you have except TB would fit as is.
Pistons are noisey in my 113 and have been from the start. Haven't changed sound in 23000 kms and no blowby but it still pisses me off. Local builder did a couple of builds using CP's and both sounded just like my engine. Several running the HQ 120 state the same thing along with some streaking on the thrust sides of the barrels. . Say I go with S&S with standard size rods. Not sure I trust the crank as it comes so then it gets pricey in the crank department between buying it and then having it reworked and all those rediculous shipping charges.  I can't justify the cost of doing that since the 120R crank at under $1200 right out of the box will likely take any abuse I could throw at it in a non race enviroment. Still searching for negatives on these 120r pistons and have not found any, so far.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: autoworker on September 01, 2011, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: rbabos on September 01, 2011, 06:27:03 PM

Sounds great (huge!) at idle.Pulls well from the bottom,goes flat somewhere around 5250 rpm.With a good tune it never does anything objectionable but doesn't do anything that stands out either.Kind of boring.It acts kind of lazy,or fat, in responsiveness compared to the Andrews 37.
Good bagger cam if set up right and tuned well and you don't expect anything other than linear power delivery when you hammer it.
I wouldn't recommend it in anything over 110 in.

Define weird?
Ron
Can't say I notice that with the 113 but it does hate any light load conditions which gave me the most grief in tuning it. Seems like I'm slowly and surely getting talked out of reusing them.
Ron

Deye76

Ron, check with Durwood, he has CP 4.060" +.10 in his build, haven't heard anything about noise.
In my 113" the 4.065" flat top JE's are quiet.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Don D

Take .033 off the top of a 113 piston and guess what, you have a 120r piston aside from clearance down below. I would have to see the parts and mock it up to know for sure if this will work but this is the way the math lays out.

rob71458

CP's in my former HQ120 build were noisy after a few thousand miles.   .010 over HD cylinders went out of round and were tapered too.  :wtf:
2007 SERK 124, S&S jugs,SE110 heads,640G's,11.5, 58/62 HPI,Bandit,DD7,Bzilla

rbabos

Quote from: Deweysheads on September 02, 2011, 10:59:29 AM
Take .033 off the top of a 113 piston and guess what, you have a 120r piston aside from clearance down below. I would have to see the parts and mock it up to know for sure if this will work but this is the way the math lays out.
Don: I see where you are going with this. Shorter rod offsetting the .125 difference in stroke and taking .033 off the top. Valve reliefs need to be cut deeper etc. Not sure but in the end I've cut the tops and bottoms for clearance and still have unplated and no teflon coated pistons in the end.
Why not just use the SE pistons and be done with it?
For me the only unknow is what to do with the heads, since the cams are nothing more than making the selection needed.
How much hassel to convert my HQ heads to give me 10.2-10.5 static with the SE setup? Can you pm me with options and prices on this or swapping them out for heads ready to bolt on?
Ron

Don D

September 02, 2011, 02:43:45 PM #70 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:04:17 PM by Deweysheads
I would not hesitate to use the SE pistons, I just got off on a tangent when I thought those were not available

rbabos

Quote from: Deweysheads on September 02, 2011, 02:43:45 PM
I would not hesitate to use the SE pistons, I just got off on a tangent when I those those were not available
No problem. I spin off on tangents all the time. :hyst:
Ron

wurk_truk

September 02, 2011, 06:27:30 PM #72 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:35:52 PM by wurk_truk
I was going to send out the page in the 2012 SE Catalog, but couldn't figure out how to attach a PDF.

I've called a few dealers.  I am LOOKING for a true 20% parts department.

I am becoming comfortable with this idea.  Don CAN hook us up on the heads, so that was my second biggest worry.  Biggest being the extra dough I, me, would need to do this.

I think it IS doable for me.  The TB and the exhaust can be done later, if need be.  How much HIGH rpm do I use?  Mid and low....  yeah baby!!!

I, myself, will most likely buy the +10 pistons and have Randy or Ron D. fit them to new cylinders.

What I have to do is have more serious discussion about cams.  I'm in favor of that 257 right now.

I'm not cutting on my stock heads.  I will NEED to sell all my used stuff to help pay for this.  Or... pay for the knick knack extra crap that always pops up.

I have set a budget of $3500.  Lets see how close that comes out.  I HAVE a TTS.  I HAVE the Boss exhaust to use until I can afford better.  I have and intake.  But would be looking for a 58mm TB.  I will reuse non roller rocker arms.  I will have to buy another POS SE Comp.  I will most likely go with Woods lifters, too...  in the name of QUIET.  Clutch stuff will be a deal killer for sure.  I have an 84(?) VPC and not the 92.

We will see, I guess.  I'm becoming comfortable... because some of the items can be bought and installed later when money comes back around.  Like the TB and exhaust.

I'm in.  Once all of you guys help me hash out the cam selection...  The HTT120 will be a 'go'.
Oh No!

HogBag

Wurk
Why cant you run the 54's cams at 10.2 Comp in a 120 motor ?  I have a set of the 54h cams I have been hanging onto to in case I go 117 or 120 cube down the road. Steve GMR has had some great numbers with 54 cams in some 117 builds.

wurk_truk

September 02, 2011, 08:04:21 PM #74 Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 08:20:18 PM by wurk_truk
I really think I will need to bleed off some of the pressure.  My thought is this will end up more towards 10.6 or 10.8:1 with the SE Flattops.

I would LIKE to know if anyone has the CC spec on those pistons BTW.

I always like to have as close to 185ccp as I can, so a cam with a 47 close should get me right around 190ish.  54s look to be north of 200ccp.

As Don, Ron, and I work it all out, I will start posting on what BigBoyz calculators have to say.

This is going to be really fun for me!!!

I AM a fan of 54s myself and have also hung onto a set.

Ever since I helped tune Durwood's bike... the all bore whore 104... that doing weird left of center builds CAN be done if thought out well.  I am beyond being humbled by all of you guys.  I hope that you know that.  I just do not think I would do this on my own, but feel with all the help and advice... it will work out really well.  HTT really is a good site!!
Oh No!