May 04, 2024, 07:18:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

37g's with stock 88

Started by EGNBLU, November 04, 2008, 09:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

no offense Ace, but check out the build in the dyno section listed as "95" Andrews TW37, CV44 and Groovy WFOLarry stage 1 '06 heads" The build he's looking to do is pretty good too.   :wink:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

BONERACIN

I have and 04 FXDWG with the 37g's (88). I am going to have to agree with the week low end, but once it comes on it pulls good all the way up. I am in the process of looking for the 21 tooth comp and chain to pacify me until i get the money to do a top end.
Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

Acetxx

Wannab,

Nice dyno.
What compression did you end up with, and what model bike?

mayor

thanks, 9.6 static compression (about 8.9:1 corrected).  All that on a Superglide.   :teeth:

crazy joe

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on November 05, 2008, 05:22:53 PM
A cam only build in an 88" would be the install of a 26.
Does a nice job for folks looking for that inexpensive gain.
What about one with a big bore kit in it (95'')?
Going to put a 26 in mine.

EGNBLU

Hey Ace. I did a Street Bob AMS build a few years ago and it ran great. Still does i sold it to a buddy.
Wanting to give Larry heads a try this time. Steve and those guys at AMS are a good bunch.

Wannab, Your dyno graph pretty much sold me on the WFO heads. Along with Po2's recommendation.
If mine turns out anywhere close to yours, I will be thrilled.

Sonny, The new Street Bobs have all black heads and cylinders, does HD use something else to coat them?
The cylinders I got are highlighted black, so not opposed to kepping them that way if it is going to generate more heat.

What would be a better choice for carb, CV44 or a Mikuni42 with this build? Both would probably be a lot better than the stock CV.

Thanks everybody,
Jimmy

mayor

November 09, 2008, 01:34:19 PM #31 Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:38:56 PM by wannabmayor
Quote from: EGNBLU on November 09, 2008, 01:15:46 PM

What would be a better choice for carb, CV44 or a Mikuni42 with this build? Both would probably be a lot better than the stock CV.

I like the CV44, but the Mik will out right perform better.  The Mik actually outflows the CV44 based on testing that Bruce (munkeywithlobo) did.  The Cv's are nice if you travel frequently since they adjust a little better for altitude variables.  Either carb will gain you over the Cv40 in the build your going to be doing. 

Sonny is doing pretty much the same build too, but with the Cv40.  I'm curious how his results compare to mine, since he can use the same dyno. If he's not too cheap.   :teeth:

Sonny S.

Jimmy,

I just wasn't sure if you were doing a very high build powder coat of some sort. I'm sure what you are doing is fine.

Yes, I'm thinking of running a CV40 with that build, mainly because I have 6 or 7 of them here. I have a Mik 42 but DO NOT want that on this bike. I prefer CV's. for daily riders and touring bikes.
I might buy a CV44 though. The only benefit I think would be peak HP. I would bet that peak TQ could still be real nice.

One difference between my bike and WANNAB's is that mine is an Ultra Classic, and his is a SuperGlide. They aren't going to act the same even on the dyno.

Sonny

EGNBLU

Yeah I am going to try it with the CV40 too since I have one. Maybe if the tax man aint too hard on me, I can upgrade then. Either of you (Sonny or Wannab)  running  3.37 gearing? That may be on the short list after the build is done.

Thanks again for all your help.
Jimmy

Sonny S.

I was running 3.37 but took it out. I do a lot of touring ( 80 + mph  800-1100 mile trips), and the RPM's were higher than I liked. I will put it back in when 6spd money is available.
According to your riding style you will love it.

Sonny

mayor

Quote from: Sonny S. on November 09, 2008, 02:06:34 PM

One difference between my bike and WANNAB's is that mine is an Ultra Classic, and his is a SuperGlide. They aren't going to act the same even on the dyno.

Why do you think that (not the same on the dyno)? or are you basing that solely on the timing being different since your bike is a couple of notes heavier? Other than timing, all else should be the same. 

Jimmy, no special gearing in mine.  Light bike, factory gearing..

EGNBLU

Heads are on their way to Larry.

Jimmy

mayor

Jimmy, didn't you have some sort of badazz sporty a while back? still got it?

EGNBLU

Good memory there Wannab. It began life as a mirage orange 06 883r. At 600 miles the motor was taken out and driven to NRHS in Longmont Co. They built me a somewhat radical 90" 1474cc Sporty that looked pretty much like a stock 883.
It has Stage3 XB heads w/1.94 1.615 valves wcompression releases, S&S 600 cam, S&S rollers, Zippers adjustable pushrods, Axtell cast iron cylinders, CP 10.5:1 pistons, Buell oil pump, Mik45, Speeds High Velocity 90degree AC, Fatcat, VPC, DTT, LRB brakes, HD cylinder studs, All Progressive suspension and I am sure other stuff I cant remember. It did 107.2hp and 108tq. Power wheelies in first all day long, second no problem and it will come up about a foot shifting into third if you hit it just right. I sold it before it killed me and bought this mild mannered FLHT and I am loving it. I had an 05 FLHTCI but lost my job and had to sell it. Then went crazy on the Sporty and now back to what I really want.

mayor

somewhat radical 90"- now that's an understatement.  :teeth:  Sharp looking Sporty you had there.  So, what compression are you going to run on the TW37build?  are you going to have Larry add the grooves?

EGNBLU

When the heads get there, I will give him a call and confirm everything but right now Larry is suggesting 9.8 with grooves.
I live in Dallas, so nothing but crap gas and heat and humidity. So he can make that call. I had 37's with AMS heads on a 06 Streetbob and it was 9.8. I think upper 80's hp and mid 90's tq. It never was tuned right, should have made more, plus it ran really hot.

EGNBLU

Quote from: wannabmayor on November 11, 2008, 03:58:41 AM
somewhat radical 90"- now that's an understatement.  :teeth:  Sharp looking Sporty you had there. 

Not bad for a girls bike.. :wink:

It shocked a lot of people, including myself.

It pulled so hard, it was incredible. Very fun bike.

The torque curve was really  flat, at 2k it was 100lbs and hit 108lbs at 4600, still over 90lbs at 6300.

Luckily I sold it to a buddy, so I can go get my adrenaline rush anytime.

Jimmy