May 04, 2024, 01:17:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

37g's with stock 88

Started by EGNBLU, November 04, 2008, 09:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EGNBLU

I have an 01carbed FLHT and just bought a set of 37'g for it. Planning on doing WFO heads in December/January along with 95" SE flatops.  How will run if I just put the cams in for now? It also has SE ignition and coil, SE highflow with Yost power tube on the stock CV and a V&H Propipe on it now.

Jimmy

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Billy

Probably be a little soft on the bottom.

I'd wait and do it all at once. With the SE flat tops @ 0 deck & .030" HG, you will want a 80cc chamber (9.8:1).

You'll also want to open the valve reliefs in the pistons if WFO Larry is going to use oversize valves.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

hotbo

it will be really tired down low :'(wait until you do it all,really shouldn't have to open the valve relief on the se pistons,i have 1.94 on flat tops and didnt open the intake relief and that was 45,000 miles ago ::)good luck and once you get the bb kit with the heads on and the cams you will love it.travis
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

EGNBLU

So is 9.8:1 the ideal cr for the 37's in a bagger?
I had 37h's in StreetBob with an AMS build a few years ago and it ran really well.
This is a totally different bike as far a weight and what type of riding I plan on doing.  This will be more of a vanilla build with Larry's stage1 heads. Not shooting for big numbers, just want it to run good and not lose reliability.

Thanks for the responses,
Jimmy

fxstdavew

November 04, 2008, 01:27:39 PM #5 Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:31:00 PM by fxstdavew
Quote from: hotbo on November 04, 2008, 10:46:32 AM
it will be really tired down low :'(wait until you do it all,really shouldn't have to open the valve relief on the se pistons,i have 1.94 on flat tops and didnt open the intake relief and that was 45,000 miles ago ::)good luck and once you get the bb kit with the heads on and the cams you will love it.travis

It's always best to check valve to piston clearance. If the heads are milled and running 1.94 valve the relief typically on SE flat tops needs to be moved to the outer edge of the piston. As for how it will run with just the 37s? It runs much better than the stock cams. 
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

donutsrd

01 fltri ran 37g in 88" with se a/c pc3usb and dyno tune for 20k,ran great.i finally (20k later)did 95" cppistins cyl bored to match,and some mild headwork about 2wks ago and couldnt be  happier.70k and runnin strong.who knows,maybe santa will bring me a baker dd6.ha ha
2001 fltri 95" 37ggear drive pc3usb recored full sac muff rosas power port head

Ultra003

I'm running the 37's in my AMS build at 9.7. (9.0 corrected)
   It runs well on any gas I want to put in it.

Dave
Dave

EGNBLU

Quote from: Ultra003 on November 05, 2008, 09:03:53 AM
   I'm running the 37's in my AMS build at 9.7. (9.0 corrected)
   It runs well on any gas I want to put in it.

Dave

That is great with this crap they make us run now days.

Jimmy

EGNBLU

BTW Sonny, it is the Street Legal version of the SE ignition and coil (32749-99a), nothing funky going on with the timing.

Jimmy

Hillside Motorcycle

I need to retract my first post as I thought I had read that he'll be running the 37's with the 95" that Larry was going to build.
If only 37's with an 88", it be a genuine turd. Period.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hillside Motorcycle

A cam only build in an 88" would be the install of a 26.
Does a nice job for folks looking for that inexpensive gain.

FSG

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on November 05, 2008, 05:22:53 PM
A cam only build in an 88" would be the install of a 26.
Does a nice job for folks looking for that inexpensive gain.

right on, did that on my Fatty while I was gathering the other required goodies

yahmon

Been running 37G's on 88TC, '02 fxstb for over 2 years. Cams kick in about 2800 rpm. Run mostly highway and pleased. Don't expect any gain under 2500 rpm. Have noticed cooler oil temp, not sure why. Need for speed is 95BB this winter.

EGNBLU

November 05, 2008, 06:28:11 PM #14 Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:13:36 PM by EGNBLU
Quote from: Sonny S. on November 05, 2008, 05:39:08 PM
Jimmy,

You're on the right track with your build, just be patient and do it all at once...even the chrome..lol. No sense in doing a cam swap and re-jet the carb just to pull the pipe again, and re-tune in 2 months...IMHO.
Just gotta get the CR right. If you bump it up too high you might need to change the module.

What elevation are you at ?
Ride local or tour ?
2 up or solo ?

Sonny

I think that is what I will do, just wait till winter time and do it all.
I bought a set of cylinders last night,looking for a cheap set of heads. Have them powerdercoated before sending them out for the cylinder bore and zero'ing the deck height and Larry's Stage 1 heads with groves.

I have a set of SE 95" flatops ready to go in. Maybe a SE spring for the clutch if it slips or if I can swing it, a VPC. I have an easy pull to go in it too.

I live in Dallas, so not any hills close, I ride solo 99% of the time. 185lbs. No tourpak. Occasionally my wife or daughter will go for a short ride. It is mainly a daily rider. To and from work and some putting around on the weekends.

Thinking about the 3.37 gearing since I dont really tour.. Man those parts have gone up like crazy. You used to get both parts for under $300 shipped, now even at Zanotti's it is real close to $400.

Anyone know where I can get a deal on a 37846-99A clutch shell??????

So here is the build:

95" SE flatops
WFO stage 1 heads
37'g cams
SE ignition and coil
Propipe
SE air cleaner
CV w/ yost power tube
Cometic gaskets
Maybe 3.37 gearing

I am thinking 9.6-9.8:1

Anybody want to add anything

Thanks for everybody's input,
Jimmy

Upswept

NO!  It won't run great without head work.  Trust me.  I've done that on a Superglide.  I installed 37's without any headwork and it ruined a nice, torquey bike.  It lost most all the lowend and gave me very litle upper end.  DON'T install the 37's in a stock bike.

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

EGNBLU

05, I have that same problem. CRS...

That is some good info, thank you.

Jimmy

Hillside Motorcycle

If your going to do the build with Larry, why not make your purchases thru him?
You wouldn't bring a 1/2 pound of hamburger, and 1/2 a head of lettuce to McDonald's, would you?
I know, that's different?

Faast Ed

I have to agree with that. Larry will bend over backwards to give you the best info, the best build, might as well let him make a lil extra for his efforts.
≡Faast Ed>

EGNBLU

I did send severals emails to Larry about what parts I had and what I needed. Also what I wanted to accomplish with this build. So me and Larry would be on the same page.

The only thing different so far to my original email to him is that I am going to use a local guy to do the cylinders since I have to have them machined twice, boring then deck heigth. That is because of shippings costs twice from Dallas to Chicago. 30lbs back and forth twice would get pricey.

I am just looking for other ideas to go along with it. Since you guys have been there done that.

This is going to be a pretty much low budget build, so I have been picking up a part here and one there. Dont have the cash to buy everything at once.

Jimmy

bubbarosa

Me thinks too that it will be soft on the bottom end  :o with the low compression of the stock heads/piston combo.  I upped mine with the 37's and 95ci using HD forged pistons and basically stock heads that I cleaned up myself.  Compression is about 9.7 with a 0.030 head gasket, right about where the 37's are happiest.  Added a fatcat and thundermax auto tune and it runs great.  It pulls very well from 2500rpm all the way to 6200rpm.. not outstanding but good on my bagger hauling my fat arse around.  :D Runs on 89 octane corn gas we get here in the midwest with a slight bit if pinging around 2800-3200 rpm when cracking the throttle  :P but i am still working on the thundermax tuning to get that to go away.

Sonny S.

I bought a set of cylinders last night,looking for a cheap set of heads. Have them powerdercoated before sending them out

Jimmy,

Not sure exactly what your plans are with the powder coating but be careful with it.
Those fins need to release as much heat as possible. If you are polishing the edge of the fins that will help.
I have not personally had any done.

Sonny

mayor

Quote from: EGNBLU on November 05, 2008, 06:28:11 PM

So here is the build:

95" SE flatops
WFO stage 1 heads
37'g cams
SE ignition and coil
Propipe
SE air cleaner
CV w/ yost power tube
Cometic gaskets
Maybe 3.37 gearing

I am thinking 9.6-9.8:1

Anybody want to add anything

Thanks for everybody's input,
Jimmy

Jimmy,
your CV40 is going to limit the top end a little.  The CV44 would be a better choice if you can afford it.  Trust me Larry's stage 1 heads can handle the extra flow of the CV44.  Other than that, pretty much the same build I have.  My head chamber volume is 82cc, which is about 9.6:1 static.   
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Acetxx

Jimmy, before you spend any money, you need to call Steve at AMS, (http://www.automotivemachine.com/harley.htm ) right there in Fort Worth. They specialize in the build you described, and you can save on shipping. (I'm using the 37's) They did my heads, and cylinder boring. I used 96" KB pistons and it's a fun bike to ride. 2006 Road Glide. It's worth the dime to talk to him................