May 08, 2024, 01:03:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

High Performance Questions 96 Sportster

Started by WhipLash96, September 30, 2011, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 11, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Yeah, I know.... I have been looking at pipes all over the place and I just haven't been able to find anything that I LOVE other than what it is that I have on. So I went to a custom pipe builder and had a long conversation. I think that I may have found the answer... :scratch: :smiled:
if they are going to build you a set of pipes for show.....save your money.....ask them about how they handle reversion and if they believe in pulse wave tuning, if they give you a good answer....you might be ok. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

WhipLash96

Quote from: mayor on October 11, 2011, 07:31:27 PM
Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 11, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Yeah, I know.... I have been looking at pipes all over the place and I just haven't been able to find anything that I LOVE other than what it is that I have on. So I went to a custom pipe builder and had a long conversation. I think that I may have found the answer... :scratch: :smiled:
if they are going to build you a set of pipes for show.....save your money.....ask them about how they handle reversion and if they believe in pulse wave tuning, if they give you a good answer....you might be ok.

I think that i found a way around all issues that i am faced with. i would explain here but it would take a lot of time.. lets just say that I found a way to keep the look that i have now, but have also found a way to add performance added by a better system... :wink:
Thanks,
Whip

mayor

ok, but keep in mind there are no magic beans.  If you are keeping the look that you have now.....you won't find a giant beanstock at the end. 

WhipLash96

Quote from: mayor on October 11, 2011, 07:50:58 PM
ok, but keep in mind there are no magic beans.  If you are keeping the look that you have now.....you won't find a giant beanstock at the end.

With a custom pipe you can do what ever it is that you want.. :wink: Not sure that I understand your magic bean analogy though??? :scratch: :nix: :banghead:

So are you a pro wrench??
Thanks,
Whip

mayor

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 11, 2011, 08:12:34 PM
With a custom pipe you can do what ever it is that you want.. :wink: 
that's my point....doing what ever you want may be the same or worse than you have now.  There's more to tuning exhaust than shear flow.  There's pulse waves, tune the pulse waves and you will end up with better results.   

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 11, 2011, 08:12:34 PM
So are you a pro wrench??
no, just a fictional internet politician.   :nix:

WhipLash96

Quote from: mayor on October 12, 2011, 03:26:05 AM
that's my point....doing what ever you want may be the same or worse than you have now.  There's more to tuning exhaust than shear flow.  There's pulse waves, tune the pulse waves and you will end up with better results.
[/quote]

I will be talking to my Indy today and getting some better idea's on what it is that I can or cannot do with this exhaust. This isn't set in stone but it is an avenue that I want to explore a lot more. A lot of this is going to come down to money. Is this going to cost me more than what a set of catalog pipes will? I guess I find out... :nix: :bike:
Thanks,
Whip

hotroadking

Custom made pipes for the bike are
not going to be inexpensive, it takes
time testing and extensive knowledge
of how a pipe flows. 

Couple of guys here have home built pipes.

WhipLash96

Quote from: hotroadking on October 12, 2011, 09:52:33 AM
Custom made pipes for the bike are
not going to be inexpensive, it takes
time testing and extensive knowledge
of how a pipe flows. 

Couple of guys here have home built pipes.

Really?? Home built pipes is pretty much what I have now. Doesn't look like there was much science involved in those. To a point, I think you are making this sound way more complicated that it needs to be or than what it really is. My bike isn't a drag bike in any way shape or form, I don't need to have the best of the best like some people we know... :wink: :argue:
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I got my carb parts in today.  :teeth: It is time to get this beast running well..... :bike:
Thanks,
Whip

hotroadking

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 12, 2011, 02:40:19 PMI don't need to have the best of the best like some people we know... :wink: :argue:

All the more reason to get it right the first time, cost's less LOL

WhipLash96

I will be taking the carb apart to replace the needle with a N65C. I am anxious to see what it does.

HRK, Have a Great Time at Biketoberfest!!! :bike: :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

hotroadking

Found some pipes for you there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhipLash96

Hey there HRK. Listen, I owe you an apology. I now understand why you and Major are saying that I am to heavy on the pilot. I did a little research and I found that I am on my pilot until 1/4 throttle. I have heard this before, but for some reason, and I have no idea why, but I was thinking that I am off the pilot until just after off idle. I found that it can last up until about 2400 rpm. It makes sense to me now and I will change that pilot jet down.

Thank You HRK and Major for the information that you have given. I am a rookie at this stuff in this much detail. I only want to learn, not to offend anyone. I ask a lot of questions but not always the right ones. Aging, thanks and I will keep you posted.. :teeth:
Thanks,
Whip

hotroadking

Well we coulda explained that a little better,
got used to just offering a solution (possible)
than going into the details.

Its a great learning curve, and didn't you tear that
carb down and find some more information you should post here?

mayor

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 18, 2011, 07:49:01 PM
I did a little research and I found that I am on my pilot until 1/4 throttle. I have heard this before, but for some reason, and I have no idea why, but I was thinking that I am off the pilot until just after off idle. I found that it can last up until about 2400 rpm. It makes sense to me now and I will change that pilot jet down.
Based on the AFR meter testing I've done, the pilot jet affects a wider range than just the first 1/4 throttle and the needle comes into play aooner than at 1/4 throttle. There's actually an overlap where the needle and pilot are both factoring in on what the afr will be.  The n65c needle was designed in 1988 for a cv carb that didn't have a accelerator pump/nozzle.  That needle makes the transition from the pilot to the needle area richer, so that's why you will likley need a smaller pilot than the 46 you are running now.

here's a good read that discusses the real life affects of the various circuits on a CV carb (it's of a cv44, but the transitions are the same):
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,26210.msg267218.html#msg267218

hotroadking

Mayor he found an unshimed N65, vs the shimmed needle that he thought he had
and I think he said it had a modified accel pump but ICRS so Whipster will have to chime in and give us details,  Remember him saying the hole fit a 3/32 bit, which converted is 6/64 if my basic poor math skills are correct so the hole is fine (supposed to be 7/64)

Yep with the rich needle he needs a smaller pilot and to adjust the screw to
get the air mix right, then work on the main.

I wonder what Needle jet tube is in this bike as well as what spring is
on the slide. 

Makes tuning fun when ya have no idea whats in the darn thing to begin with LOL

WhipLash96

Quote from: hotroadking on October 19, 2011, 10:07:35 AM
Mayor he found an unshimed N65, vs the shimmed needle that he thought he had
and I think he said it had a modified accel pump but ICRS so Whipster will have to chime in and give us details,  Remember him saying the hole fit a 3/32 bit, which converted is 6/64 if my basic poor math skills are correct so the hole is fine (supposed to be 7/64)

Yep with the rich needle he needs a smaller pilot and to adjust the screw to
get the air mix right, then work on the main.

I wonder what Needle jet tube is in this bike as well as what spring is
on the slide. 

You are right, I did find an N65c needle with no shim. Not sure where you got that I had a modified accel pump though???? :nix: :scratch: As far as I know there has been no other modifications to the carb. I bought a new slide spring, a 45 pilot, an N65 needle thinking that I needed one, and I bought main jets, sizes 190-200. I am set to go. I just got the carb cleaned up tonight along with my garage.  :teeth: The carb was especially dirty.

Makes tuning fun when ya have no idea whats in the darn thing to begin with LOL
Thanks,
Whip

hotroadking

WhipLash96

Quote from: hotroadking on October 19, 2011, 07:20:13 PM
and expensive when you buy stuff twice

You know what, I did have a rebuild kit put put in the carb right away because the first indy I took the bike to put one in. I have no idea what it is that he put in it though. The reason why I had it in is because I was getting a real dead spot when I would roll on the throttle. After the kit went in, the dead spot went away.. :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Today I should be able to get you guys an update on how my scoot runs.. Haven't been feeking well lately. talk at you all later..
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

I have a dyno appointment scheduled in two weeks. I put the new main jet in and I think that I am really close to what it is that I need. My bike feels so much better than what it did. I am looking forward to what the dyno has to say.. :bike:
Thanks,
Whip

Caper

Quote from: WhipLash96 on October 28, 2011, 06:14:06 AM
I have a dyno appointment scheduled in two weeks. I put the new main jet in and I think that I am really close to what it is that I need. My bike feels so much better than what it did. I am looking forward to what the dyno has to say.. :bike:

:pop: Be interesting to see what the AFR charts say too!! :wink:

14Frisco

I have a dyno appointment scheduled in two weeks.

Assuming you are putting it on a Dynojet dyno, bring a USB memory stick with you and ask for the run files when you are done.
Then go to http://www.dynojet.com/downloads/software.aspx and download and install WinPEP that allows you to view and manipulate those run files.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Caper on October 28, 2011, 06:23:47 AM

:pop: Be interesting to see what the AFR charts say too!! :wink:

You know that I will post them too!! How have you been my friend? Actually I think that I have some small issues to work in the mean time. I am going to be taking out that 195 and [utting in the 190 and resetting the idle mix. I am going to leave the 46 pilot in and go from there. :bike:
Thanks,
Whip

WhipLash96

Well, I got new pipes in here this week and they are basically installed. I changed the main jet down from a 195 down to a 190 and I am going to run it there for a little bit to see how WhipLash responds to that. I asked my indy if I should change my pilot right away as well and he just does not want that pilot touched. So I left it.. :emoGroan: :scratch: :nix:
Thanks,
Whip