April 27, 2024, 12:01:33 PM

News:

What spyware program?

Started by Gonzo, January 21, 2009, 02:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzo

For years I used a free-ware program from Lavasoft called Ad-Aware. Just got a new computer and went to re-download it. But now the version isnt the same, and it wont DELETE any problems it finds unless you buy the full version. Anybody using any free programs for spyware?

low_rider1979

I use Ad-Aware, Spybot and Spyware Doctor.  I will have to check into the Ad-Aware thing since we have it on our homepage for our customers to download.  Was the version you tried Ad-Aware SE Personal?
HTT member since 2002

HroadhogD1

I use SuperAntiSpyware free edition, Malwarebytes Anti-malware, ThreatFire, Spyware doctor, RogueRemover Free, I have several computers, and I like to test spyware removers, I also use CCleaner-it removers temp files.  Becareful what you download.  Some of the stuff that is supposed to fight spyware is really spyware.

RainDodger

Interesting. I use Ad-Aware also... I could swear I downloaded a new version not long ago and it deletes the bad things ok. The free personal edition should do that.

Tow-Truck

Ad-Aware is still free. You may have downloaded the full version that needs registering, just uninstall and re-install the personal version and make sure you uncheck any upgrade options. More worryingly you may have a virus that is pretending to be Ad-Aware and linking you to an alternative antispyware site. Malawarebytes is one of the best I've come across (I do this semi professionally). Always down load your software from downloads.com. There is no viruses on that site and none of the viruses are spoofing it's address (yet!) Just do a google search for mcafee etc. all the sponsored links are spoofs! If you cannot get internet explorer to display the home pages for antispyware software after typing the address into the browser, then you are infected. Also if Malawarebytes will not run after it's installed you are similarly infected. The best option then is to run your hard drive as a slave in another PC and scan it with Malawarebytes, then re-scan it in it's own PC as a master drive to clean the registery.

Gonzo

Towtruck: Couldnt find the Personal version on that site. All I could find is the Anniversary edition. Could you check it out & let me know if I'm going blind or crazy?

IndyHarley

January 22, 2009, 10:57:24 AM #6 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:02:26 AM by IndyHarley
AdWare by Lavasoft is still free for personal use - make sure you download the personal use version as any other version you will have to pay.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,7423-order,1-page,1-c,antispywaretools/description.html

The above is just one of the many sites you can download it.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Clintster

AVG Anti Virus free is the new best, recommended by computer folks.
Drive fast, take chances

Tow-Truck

Just checked and it's still free. Type http://www.lavasoft.com into your browser. You need to choose the green button. Next page make sure you click download and not continue, so you end up with the free version. Or go to Download.com and search for it, but don't follow any sponsered links.

bxbutch

FSG

Reddog74usa

Yep I'm using AVG also. works great
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

RainDodger

The newest version of AVG will do scheduled scans for you now, too. You can set it up to do its thing in the middle of the night or whatever. Very nice.

george248

AVG free and also run Spybot search and destroy every once in a while for good measure...

littlefrank

For good advice, check this place out. They are a good source for info. Type in, or search around for reviews on spy ware, anti virus, etc. I have used them for years. Good luck.      http://www.cnet.com/

88b

Quote from: Clintster on January 22, 2009, 01:44:00 PM
AVG Anti Virus free is the new best, recommended by computer folks.

I used AVG for years ,then version 8 came out  :emsad: lots of problems. I'm using Avast now ,so far so good.

Clintster

What kind of problems did you have?
Drive fast, take chances

Alien

I use spybot, adaware, spyware doctor, malware, norton and a couple of others.

I find if I go into internet options and delete, cookies, passwords, temporary internet files none of the programs find anything.

HDRDR

SuperAntiSpyware is free and works good :up: