April 27, 2024, 12:09:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

tts timing explanation

Started by jpbo, February 28, 2012, 12:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpbo

with tts i'd need some teaching how i must use timing feature
when it said advance 2 degres does it means remove or add value to the the data
ex if it,s 28 degres is it 30 or 26
i'm a mixed with theses notions

any help

thank you

HV

With Timing advance always = Add      if its 28 it will then be 30 
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

glens

Positive values are before the piston comes to top dead center, negative values are after that time.  If you want to advance timing, you change the value in/to a more positive direction.  So if the number is already positive, you make it bigger.

You really don't want to go above 45 anywhere.

jpbo

Well if i understand
if i see sparks when recording i look at some frames before it happened, and if it shows 4 degrees add to remove sparks
i will add 1 more degree to the value ex: 28 will be 29 and ride it again, record and put more correction if needed

i'm on the right track
thank you

strokerjlk

if you see knock activity/ yes back up 500 rpms and take timing out.
so that 28 deg would be 27 deg now. increasing the number will make it worse.

FWIW just so you dont burn holes in the top of your pistons....you dont want 45 deg anywhere you ride at.
so make sure your map dosent have that kind of timing (45 deg) anywhere higher than 30 kpa.
make sure it is only running that high of timing when you decel .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

jpbo

if it's now 27 before T.D.C instead of 28 is the spark will appears later ?

when removing values if the spark comes later isn't this time knock appears?

it' where I'm a little mixed up

wolf_59

If you are looking at the knock retard showing 4 degrees and your timing is set at 28 take away 1 degree to make it 27 this will be retarding the timing to keep the knock retard from activating
for what it's worth I purchased the MY Tune program from a HTT member and it took all the guess work out of where and how much timing adjustments needed to be made and pretty simple to use.  tunemyharley dot com

strokerjlk

The terms "advanced" and "retarded" ignition timing refer to making the spark happen sooner or later .  If the ignition is changed from 27deg BTDC to 28 deg BTDC, then we say it is  "advanced" 1 deg because spark will then occur 1deg sooner. 
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

jpbo

March 01, 2012, 07:50:12 AM #8 Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:49:45 AM by jpbo
o.k
if detonation happens cause by heat the mixture will burn before the spark am i right.
so i put more fuel in this range and ae fuel
my question is with tts
what i must do with timing advance more or retard or put only more fuel ?
i have read when detonation appears i must removed timing
if it's what i do the spark will be retarded but the heat will still cause detonation.
is it what will happened?

thank you

lonewolf

You have to give it what it wants. Sometimes even not having enough advance will show knock retard.