April 27, 2024, 02:59:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

List of import parts on HD

Started by stroker800, January 25, 2009, 08:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stroker800

Can you help add to the list.....
forks and trees.....japan
spoke rims....italy
and so forth,,,,,,
Dave

Jeffd

I think my 04 bagger rims come from Austria.  Some of the tin is coming from korea or china. 

codyshop

It would be easier to list the American made stuff.  I think the rear axle nut is USA. 

Faast Ed

The nut on the seat was made in USA.   LOL

I like my bike, wherever the parts were made. 
It was assembled here, that can't be a bad thing.
≡Faast Ed>

HV

Quote from: Faast Ed on January 25, 2009, 10:51:46 AM

I like my bike, wherever the parts were made. 
It was assembled here, that can't be a bad thing.

AMEN !  I agree 100%...Id rather ride my HD ( Im in Canada so its ALL foreign Made !! ) then a Honda or Jap Bike

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

truck

I bet if you go one step farther you will find that a lot of the American made stuff is made from imported material.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Faast Ed

QuoteI bet if you go one step farther you will find that a lot of the American made stuff is made from imported material.

Good point!  LOL   
≡Faast Ed>

glitsch

what about  euro  tech  like merc casting ,  looks
like porsche influence    all good to me :potstir:

HroadhogD1

I love my Harley as much as the next guy.  I think it is still the best bike out there, but I have to say I am losing a lot of respect for Harley Davidson.  They used to be 100% all American motorcycle-just like apple pie- assembled here don't cut it.  Hell-all of the jap crap is assembled here too.  It all greed.  In case you haven't figured it out that is why we as a country are in the shape we are. :sink:

JamLazyAss

"They used to be 100% all American motorcycle-just like apple pie"

It's Not a Motor Company thing.
It's the Global Economy...
You (a business) need to do whatever is the most cost-effective to survive.
No different than the Dodge - Ford - or Chevy that's in your driveway do.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see EVERYTHING manufactured in the US & Canada, because I would.
But the reality of the current markets do send North American jobs overseas.

Hopefully this trend will shift soon.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Molly

I'd rather the bike was 100% USA but wonder if I'd be able to afford it if it was.

As for adding to the list: Once bought a H-D oil pressure gauge with 'Made in USA' on the packaging and 'Made in Taiwan' on the item itself... The loom is Mexican (was on my '06 RK), 19" Rim is from Taiwan. 16" Italy. 21" DID in Japan. Cylinders cast in France I believe. Alloy wheels Australia. Showa suspension. Brembo or Nissin brakes (Brembo are good though). Lots of f'kin' cheap, chrome tat from some Eastern "Potty mouth"-hole.

Few years ago tried to buy a new Triumph Bonneville only to discover that, for the Australasian market, they're now assembled in Thailand. Even got an email from their head of BS to confirm it (none of the NZ dealers would admit it I might add).

:-(

Juice

supply and demand

the root to greed

Ultrashovel

There are no motor vehicles nowadays that are built with only American parts. That's the way it is now.

HroadhogD1

I know thats the way it is now, but I still don't have to like it.  I realize that its an economy thing.  This is the also part of the reason our economy is the way it is.

JimB

Its way past a global economy thing these days....in some cases a requirement... example

HD decides they want to sell bikes somewhere & they approach the foreign Government to do so ...

Canada says ok... but you have to redesign the rear brake lever & buy spokes made in Canada
Italy says ok... but you have to redesign the brake light & buy wheels made in Italy
Germany says ok... but you have to redesign the control buttons & buy something made in Germany
China says if you want to borrow money then you have to buy chrome screws from China
Many of your chrome parts are mane in foreign lands
Most of HD leather clothing is made in foreign lands
And it goes on...

Did you know that no US Fighter aircraft is made from all US parts ? Based on memory ....
F-16 wings were made in Israel
F-16 canopy is made in Canada
F-18 tires were made in Germany
Most all digital circuits components are not made in the US but in Japan or Taiwan, but have a US company name on them
The analog section of the US SINCGAR combat radio is/was an Israeli design & parts but was assembled in US
Many US military parts are from England, Germany, Sweden, Italy...etc.

Your computer may have a US name on it, but most of the parts are foreign...same for your car/truck, microwave, etc...

Just the way it is

tbickle22

Harley has not been 100% American in a long, long time. Example: 1977 I needed new valves and seats for my 73 Shovel, Went to the dealership and bought them. When I complained about the finish on the valves and the transition from stem to valve flat, the parts guy brought out 4 new valves from the back that were machined in "Japan" . The quality was miles ahead of the homegrown product, sorry to say.
JD
JD

Skullfork

The stock speakers I removed from my '08SG were made in China ...the HogTunes I replaced them with ...made in China  :crook: 

madskillsjc

If HD's were all made here you'd be paying twice as much, as bad as it sucks it is the harsh reality of things, how many of you'd be plunking down 30-50g for your HD, I am thinking a lot less than would  12-30g, unless you live in a box then you know very little is 100% USA made anymore

neale

Welcome to the world people, do you think that America is alone on this? The manufacturing industry is shrinking daily here in Australia, we have exactly the same issues as you lot do. Our politicians tell us it's a world economy and a level playing field. Doesn't seem too bloody level to me from where I'm standing.

apes

I was rootin' around in one of  my tool boxes the other day and down on the bottom of the box I found an antique tire pressure guage...it said "MADE IN USA"

truck

Quote from: apes on January 26, 2009, 06:47:53 PM
I was rootin' around in one of  my tool boxes the other day and down on the bottom of the box I found an antique tire pressure guage...it said "MADE IN USA"

There is a city in Japan "Usa", maybe it is from there .
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

1997bagger

One of the Showa plants is in my hometown, oddly enough, it is called American Showa. American workers run off the parts but jiberish speaking 4'11" sushi eating lab coaters oversee the plant.
Would the American Showa name and American workers be considered as "made in USA" parts for Harley or does Showa ownership that pronounces it "Hawley" over-ride the parts "made in USA"   :dgust:
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

70weight

This isn't anything new. I am not sure how far you would have to go back to find a made in the USA Harley. I know my 76 FLH isn't. It has Japanese made starter and carb just for starts.
Can't drink all day if ya don't start in the mornings.

odotb

"No one could afford one"

People were able to afford them for all those years they were 100% American made.

RVN73