At what outside temp do you remove the lowers on an Ultra?

Started by 176, April 25, 2012, 02:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harborjohn

I have never taken them off. I live in calif and routinely ride in 100 deg heat. I do alot of high speed riding (90+) when im crossing the calif deserts and I dont have a problem with them. In fact it blocks most of the air around my legs and actually directs air onto the motor.

Princess Butt

When we got our '06 Ultra, I figured I would remove them if it got too hot. Traded the bike a week ago, at 51,000 miles, and they had never been off.

Our 2012 Ultra Limited throws more heat, mainly because it's new. I'll see how it goes this summer, but I'm betting they stay in place.

I thought someone figured out the heads are about 10 degrees cooler with the lowers in place. Don't recall where I read that, but it shouldn't be too hard to test with an infrared thermometer.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Jeffd

Quote from: harborjohn on April 26, 2012, 09:04:49 AM
I have never taken them off. I live in calif and routinely ride in 100 deg heat. I do alot of high speed riding (90+) when im crossing the calif deserts and I dont have a problem with them. In fact it blocks most of the air around my legs and actually directs air onto the motor.

My IR temp gun and the CHT sensor reading on the front cylinder via tts show that my head temps are hotter with the lowers in place. I don't have an oil temp gauge so not sure if there is a difference there, this is on a 2011 with vents.

tdkkart

On the old Ultra Classic with non-vented lowers they came off as soon as the daytime temps reached 75*. Now with the Road Glide with vents I don't find a need to take them off.

harborjohn

Quote from: Jeffd on April 26, 2012, 09:26:55 AM

My IR temp gun and the CHT sensor reading on the front cylinder via tts show that my head temps are hotter with the lowers in place. I don't have an oil temp gauge so not sure if there is a difference there, this is on a 2011 with vents.

Thats why I would never use a temperature gauge or temp gun. Why in hell would I want to know the temp? I already know its hot, its a hot day on a air cooled motor, its very hot. I change my oil often and dont worry about it. I have rode it many times in 100 deg temp at 100mph for a 100 miles at a time. 

Jeffd

Quote from: harborjohn on April 26, 2012, 10:32:52 AM

Thats why I would never use a temperature gauge or temp gun. Why in hell would I want to know the temp? I already know its hot, its a hot day on a air cooled motor, its very hot. I change my oil often and dont worry about it. I have rode it many times in 100 deg temp at 100mph for a 100 miles at a time. 

beats me, but you were saying they direct air onto your engine so I would assume that would cool it not heat it up.  I was just stating that my experience is different.  I change oil often too I am more worried about having the valve guides drop out of the heads LOL. :chop: 

harborjohn

Quote from: Jeffd on April 26, 2012, 11:00:20 AM
Quote from: harborjohn on April 26, 2012, 10:32:52 AM

beats me, but you were saying they direct air onto your engine so I would assume that would cool it not heat it up.  I was just stating that my experience is different.  I change oil often too I am more worried about having the valve guides drop out of the heads LOL. :chop:
Dont think I want my valve guides dropping out of the heads either LOL.

Baggerlady

Took mine off not long after I got it, and have never put them back on. My fuel milage improved from 35 mpg to 40 or so.  My vents would always close while I was riding so they would get hot.  :rose:

x52gnr

Mine stay on all year round, I just open and close the vents as needed
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

harleyjt

Even with the later vented versions, its just too hot for me here in the summertime (mid to high 90's routinely and high humidity).  They come off when the days reach 75 to 80 - usually late April or early May, and back on when the temps drop to below 70 in the daytime - usually late October or early Nov).  I've tried them in the warmer weather and just don't have enough airflow.  Sitting at a stop light is murder on a 90 deg day with those things on. 
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Tre_11 FLHX

One of the first things I purchased when I got my Streetglide, put hogtunes speakers in and they will never come off. Unless I sell the bike.

Tre'

11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

HogBob

Mine have hung in the basement for the last 10 years.
Bob

r1mcdonald

I live in Florida and have a 02 non vented lowers and if my bike is on the road so are the lowers,never seen the reason to remove them not even for iron butt in July.

Shvlhed

Never take mine off either, they have never been an issue with me as far as the heat goes and they sure are nice to have when I get caught in the rain!
"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

FLTRI

The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

2tired

32° .  Don't ride much below that.  Started riding 45 years ago when there was no such thing.  Just personal preference as far as I can see. 

truck

Quote from: 2tired on April 29, 2012, 09:42:29 AM
32° .  Don't ride much below that.  Started riding 45 years ago when there was no such thing.  Just personal preference as far as I can see.
My dad told me he would wrap canvas around the crash bars when it got cold, acted like a lower fairing. I don't have a picture of it, but I do of the bike. It was taken before mom and dad were married and I wasn't born for a minimum of seven years after that. Maybe dad started something 73 years ago? :nix:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

GaryD

I use to take them off every April until last year when I installed woofers in them. Now I can either listen to great music or be comfortable.  :doh:
And on my new Tri Glide I'm really uncomfortable, but my tunes are more important.  :gob:
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

hd06myway

Usually about the same temp my 'ol lady starts lowering hers.. :bike:

sgrand71

I took mine off when it was freezing outside so I would'nt interupt riding season. They never went back on.
The only normal people are the ones you don't really know!

skeets

If ya want to take them off why have them inthe first place???? :wtf:
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

PoorUB

Quote from: skeets on May 02, 2012, 04:55:18 AM
If ya want to take them off why have them inthe first place???? :wtf:

Because an ultra comes with them!

Same reason guys remove tour packs, or slap on differant seats, because they want to!

Same reason guys buy Ultras and never used the CB or intercom. I know a guy with a EG Classic that has never turned on the radio, he said the other day he doesn't even know if it works.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

GaryD

Because I need them in the Chicago winters. Keeps the slush off my boots.
and now they're home to my woofers so I can't take them off in the summer, dang it.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat

glens

Because they hold my garage door transmitter, cigarettes, gloves, wallet (while motoring), etc.