At what outside temp do you remove the lowers on an Ultra?

Started by 176, April 25, 2012, 02:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starting to warm up around the country...most parts anyway...lol.
Would like to hear from Ultra owners at what temp do you remove your lowers if ever?
Thanks in advance.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

hbkeith

you will hear all differant answers to that ? , i know guys that have ultras and have never takin there lowers off,i know guys that take them off over 70,  i use soft lowers and i take em off when my legs get hot  :up: :down:

Dogbone45ACP

Never, it can be cold and wet in the Seattle area at 0400. Then 85 at 1630. This would be a hot summer. Normal would be 65-75.

runamuck

pulled mine off last month..been cool here in the A.M. but warm by lunchtime..and 90 today..DFW area.

clarkg1124

I've never taken mine off.The heat has not been a factor for me.
Clark
Wanna buy a possum????

burnout1550

Mine are vented, no need to remove. They also serve to protect my legs from things getting kicked up off the road
DM 103" Mega Sphere
Fueling 594 Cams, Doherty PACC, RB Racing Black Hole, TTS

IndyHarley

since they 1st put them on I have left them on year round and three bikes later I still haven't had a problem. I ride as often as I can and I am retired so it's allot.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

02 Ultra

02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

glens

Sc00ter

I don't remove the lowers, but I have removed the vents...

JohnC

I have the vented lowers but went ahead and removed the doors completely.  I leave them like that year round.  I find that the plastic bodies minus the doors still provide plenty of protection against cold and rain while still allowing plenty of cooling air to the motor.

JohnC - Kechi, KS

surf

Left them on all last year, took them off when I got back from Daytona this year, gave the bike a good cleaning and going over, still off. Would put them back on if I was going on a trip, keeps the feet dry when you hit rain.

PoorUB

Like other riders, I take them off when the temps stay over 70-75 degrees. I left them on last year when we went to Tennesse and then on to Texas and it got so friggen hot I took the lowers off and mailed them back home. Highs for the day were always above 100F and every little bit helped.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dunbarton

Came off the day I bought it 12 years ago and never went back on.

Dennis The Menace

I never removed mine.  But, I nearly always ride with feet out on the highway pegs, so heat never got to me.  That was on my 03 Ultra.  I dont plan to own them again tho....dont care much for the look.

Sixspeed

Keep mine on, but made it easier to open and close the vent doors while riding.
:bike:

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
"The HAPPIEST people just make the Best of Everything"

Bladesmith

Took them off when I first got the bike...They sit in th garage next to the tourpack I've Never used.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Bigs

2011 Road Glide Ultra's lowers came off when the temp was going to hit a high of 75 in the day but was around 50-55 in the mornings. I have the quick disconnect kit on them so their fairly easy to take off or put back on. The only time the engine heat bothered me was when I had to sit in traffic for a long time.
   Bigs

Gadgetech

I bought them for my FLTRX and haven't taken them off yet but I have been considering doing so. It will be hot here soon enough.

fourthgear

I'm in the sunshine state & don't remove my vented lowers .

Helps keep the rain off my boots ,when I get caught in it on the way home from work @ midnight.

ViennaHog

Never, like them for storage and it doesnt make a big difference in engine heat or rider comfort when off. JMHO

War Horse

Never, since I do allot of 55mph + riding I like the wind deflection and really dont feel the difference with heat, I got highway pegs too, just drape the legs over them and let the wind blow up the pants legs to cool off if need be...  :teeth:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

slo-poke 03

I never take them off, I open and close the vents acording to the weather.

truck

I tried taking them off once, didn't like the wind blowing up in my face, they stay on now.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Jeffd

For me they make a huge difference in heat reduction at anything over 70* I normally cruise ~80-85mph and the wind on the legs feels better then the head on the legs. It is easy to take the off and on even without the detach kit.  I am probably in the minority, but I think the bike looks 10X better without them (2011 RGU)