May 09, 2024, 10:37:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1st Harley TTS Installed

Started by xdragracer, May 22, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xdragracer

Here we go - Got to say the TTS Master tune ROCKS !!! This is my 1st harley , love it. Went to jersey to get it. It had Stage 1 SERT Rineharts slip ons when i bought it.
After doing alot of research {2years} , TTS  was what i was looking for . This bike was so lazy. till i sent the interface to TTS. Man, its a whole different machine. this thing has some ass now.
But it dies sometimes and pops on decel. . I have changed exhaust gaskets, no leaks, so it has to be too lean.
Question is -do i run the{ V Tune} or the[ Data Master]. The bike has NO O2 sensors ?

Scott
2015 RGS

Steve Cole

The 2006 with no O2 sensors cannot use Vtune to help you along as the signals come from the O2 sensor to the ECM for it to work. When is the bike dying? If it's  when you let off and the bike needs to idle it could be a sticky IAC as that is common on older bikes. To check for this you need to use DataMaster and record data and get it to die. Then stop the recording and look at what the IAC is doing. If your not sure what to look for just get the data and we can help you out looking at it. Decel pop can also be adjusted one the dying part is solved.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

xdragracer

I will try to make a recording om DM soon
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Steve
It dies sometimes on decel. Not everytime .It did this even before i installed the map
Scott
2015 RGS

strokerjlk

It needed tuned with the sert. And now it still needs tuned with the tts.
Throwing canned maps in it ,isnt tuning it with either tuner.
Your not going to see good results until it is tuned.
Once tuned you wouldnt be able to tell the diff between sert and tts.
You just loaded one canned map that is/was better than the other.

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

coastie56

Dying on decel is very often the first sign of a pinhole in the pressurized line in the tank. Simply remove the cap and with the engine off turn on the ignition. Listen for the fuel pump to pressurize and then stop. It should be dead quiet in the tank. Any splashing, squirting, pissing noises means fuel is squirting from somewhere it shouldn't. Do this test when fuel level is low. This is when fuel rushes to front of tank on decel exposing pinhole.

xdragracer

I made a run tonite , i think i was on the wrong thing, i clicked on    data master then file, open date master recording, thento dyno. Thats not what we want is it?
Scott
2015 RGS

Steve Cole

No, that's not what you want.

Open DataMaster
Go to "File"
Go to "Record Data"
Name the file to save
On the new window that is now open got to "Data Type"
Select "Genric Data"
Start the bike
Then <click> on the "Start" button

Now go ride the bike just like you did when you had it stall and when your done with the ride

<Click> on the "Stop" button. Close this window and your now back on the Main Form and you can review the data and look for it

xdragracer

It woudnt record, said could not read interface , i screwed up. i will try again tommorrow
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

May 26, 2012, 12:15:42 PM #9 Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:42:48 AM by xdragracer
Made a recording today. Now what do i do next Steve?  Icould not get the bike to die, The poping and cracking is still there on decel. It pops and cracks at about 2500 rpms and lower on decel .
So How do i tune this bike. iam afraid to do anything yet with out instructions . trying to understand the Tuning Guide.
What do i need to change for the popping and cracking on decell ?
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Did i post something wrong here. Just want to tune my bike, Iam very new at this harley stuff , Need some help here. Please !
Scott
2015 RGS

Steve Cole

Need to see what you have done to the calibration if anything. Since you could not get it to do the stalling you can move on to the decel popping. Go make a recording and right when the pop happens pull the clutch in and rev the engine 3 times. Then you can come back and look in the recorded file to see where those 3 rev's at at. Look at the data just before the rev's and you will be able to identify where you are when it pops. Then its a 50 50 guess as to richen or lean the mixture in that area, as both can cause it to pop. Try an increase of 10% on the VE for both cylinders just in the area you identified and program the bike with those changes. Go for a test ride and see what you got, if you made it worse you are going the wrong direection with the adjustment.

xdragracer

Thanks it may be a few days before i can make a run. It For SURE pops at 2500 and below on the rpms. But i will make another run .Stay Tuned !!!
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

2 questions:
Do i open my generic run,that i ran on the bike and make the 10 percent chg. ?
Then at what percent Throttle Position.? how many cells do i change.
Sorry just want to do it rite   
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

Found the answers to my 2 questions. Inc. 10% on both cylinders.on 3 cells 2500 rpm-2000rpm. It took 80% of the poping out. But the bike felt lazy, and idle was too fast .
Should i change AFR 10% inc. ?
Scott
2015 RGS

Steve Cole

If you increase the VE 10% and it effected the idle area then put just the idle area back to where it was. I assume that your popping is not at idle. When you look at the recording to see where you rev'ed it three times you can see where you were just before that. I like to look at the 10 frames of data prior to the rev's and assume that area is where the popping occurred. Then match that area onto the VE tables and change just the values in that area, leave all the other values stock.

lonewolf

Another way I mark a recording is just flick the run switch off and then on, wait a couple of seconds and re-start the bike. It's real easy to see "0" rpm in the data.

xdragracer

June 07, 2012, 12:29:34 PM #17 Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:33:33 PM by xdragracer
I inc. the ve 2000,2250,2500 rpm at zero throtle position 10% .I didnt change anything at or near idle.Its poping rite at 2500 to 2000 rpms. if i down shift and get the motor to go about 3000rpm it has a nice, smooth  decel sound, no poping and cracking.k
So i loaded the ANR-141-83 back into the bike.  Tring to be carefull.
What should i do next?
Scott
2015 RGS

FLTRI

Without a way to see/measure what is coming out the exhaust (O2 reading system) you will be attempting to tune by S.O.P. which is very difficult even for the most experienced.
You can be 2-3 AFRs off and not know it...until you check fuel mileage and plug readings which is also difficult nowadays since there is no lead in the fuel to give it the familiar tan color.
IMO, you have 3 options:
1) Take your bike to a qualified, experienced tuner and get it tuned.
2) Convert your bike to closed loop by adding O2 sensors to your bike (per TTS instructions) and learn to tune with TTS V-tune.
3) Keep S.O.P. guessing at VEs, etc and trying different calibrations in hopes you will stumble across one that makes the engine run OK.
Good luck and let us know what you decide,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

xdragracer

i figured we were going there. gonna shop around for some head pipes. What do you with the o2 sensor wires ? since i have open loop ecm . 
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

iam not going to change the exhaust rite now, maybe later. I want to toy with the  Master tune tables. Can i change the V E tables, say 10% inc. where the poping is and inc. AFR 10% inc. and decel enlean.   all 3 tables at once ?   
Scott
2015 RGS

FLTRI

Quote from: xdragracer on June 16, 2012, 08:30:14 AM
iam not going to change the exhaust rite now, maybe later. I want to toy with the  Master tune tables. Can i change the V E tables, say 10% inc. where the poping is and inc. AFR 10% inc. and decel enlean.   all 3 tables at once ?
Decel pop:
If enrichening cured 80% of the decel popping why not try another 5-10% in the same "popping" area?

Dying:
Since the bike dies with either SERT or TTS calibration it makes sense you very well may have a hardware (IAC) issue. These IACs can get carboned up especially when the bike have not been properly tuned and running rich...and can be prone to sticking...which causes control issues as the engine comes to idle.

All three tables:
Just stay with the VE tables for decel popping. No need to mess with AFR table.

Bob

The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

xdragracer

bob- I will try the 5-10% inc. .  I still cant get the bike to stall out. it used to do it often. Thanks for the reply !                 
Scott
2015 RGS

xdragracer

June 17, 2012, 08:58:55 AM #23 Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:42:38 AM by xdragracer
I have inc. VE and almost all poping and cracking has gone. I am happy with the new tune.
Now on cold start up. The bike fires up  quickly. Almost every start{stone cold} it will start and then die. I will  start it again for the second time  and it stays running. Does this mean that maybe the IAC could be carboned up?  Or can we change some tables ? this started when i loaded the Master tune.
Scott
2015 RGS

VDeuce

Quote from: xdragracer on June 17, 2012, 08:58:55 AM
I have inc. VE and almost all poping and cracking has gone. I am happy with the new tune.
Now on cold start up. The bike fires up  quickly. Almost every start{stone cold} it will start and then die. I will  start it again for the second time  and it stays running. Does this mean that maybe the IAC could be carboned up?  Or can we change some tables ? this started when i loaded the Master tune.
Sounds like you may need to adjust (up) the IAC crank to run, which ramps up the idle immediately after the engine first fires.