02 sensors? narrow, broadband, wideband???

Started by burgies08ultra, July 10, 2012, 01:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burgies08ultra

i was chatting with a shade tree mechanic, and he says h-d has the 3 different sensors mentioned above?? is this right??/ i thought only 2 were used..
burgie
2013 road glide,2009 road king

rbabos

burgies08ultra

i wonder if he was thinking about differnt tuners using different sensors??

Steve Cole

Yes, there are three different ones and they are vastly different in how they work and there accuracy.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

burgies08ultra

thanks steve,
i had only heard of narrow and wide before, i assume the broadband is in the middle..
burgie

04FLHP

Quote from: burgies08ultra on July 10, 2012, 01:44:11 PM
i was chatting with a shade tree mechanic, and he says h-d has the 3 different sensors mentioned above?? is this right??/ i thought only 2 were used..
burgie
Has Harley actual used all three different sensors on production bikes?

Coyote

Quote from: 04FLHP on July 10, 2012, 04:40:25 PM
Quote from: burgies08ultra on July 10, 2012, 01:44:11 PM
burgie
Has Harley actual used all three different sensors on production bikes?
No, only the narrow band AFAIK

hrdtail78

Harley has used 3 different types of narrow band sensors.  If you want to count single wire for older buells.

But...we could say HD has used 2.  A 2 wire none heated sensor, and a 4 wire heated sensor.  Both being narrow band.

This is in the stickies of this section of the forum.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,34013.0.html
Semper Fi

Steve Cole

HD in production bikes has not used all three types but if you include the Destroyer (which HD calls a production bike)they allowed for use of all three types. The Wide Band is by far the best then the Narrow and Broad Band are close together. As a matter of fact the Broad Band is a Narrow Band with an extra section added to it to give it a larger range. Neither of those are close in performance or accuracy of a real Wide Band Sensor.

redmtrckl

So, could a real wide band sensor be used on the 2012 models? Would it work with the ECM and mastertune with the lambda table?
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

Steve Cole

Quote from: blkmtrckl on July 11, 2012, 08:04:17 AM
So, could a real wide band sensor be used on the 2012 models? Would it work with the ECM and mastertune with the lambda table?

The short answer is yes, but it does use some electronics that would need to be added to make it work. This is just how tunes are developed at the factory. This doesn't mean you just drop them in and life is great as you must still follow the rules of installing things properly in order for it to work out.

redmtrckl

Quote from: Steve Cole on July 11, 2012, 08:25:17 AM
Quote from: blkmtrckl on July 11, 2012, 08:04:17 AM

The short answer is yes, but it does use some electronics that would need to be added to make it work. This is just how tunes are developed at the factory. This doesn't mean you just drop them in and life is great as you must still follow the rules of installing things properly in order for it to work out.

Makes perfect sense to me since the EPA criteria has to be met.
Yes! I am an Infidel.
And proud of it!

Sporty 48

Not talking fancy lab stuff that we riff-raff cannot afford anyway, it seems like there are really just 2 types, from my searches.
Yes, they may have 1, 2 or 4 wires but the voltages are what 0-0.9v?
Bosch is the big dog in the room for narrow and wideband(broadband).
VW has been using the wideband since 2005, right?
Who else makes something worth considering?
A Sportster, Bird-dogs and an old Airstream, How Sweet It Is.