May 09, 2024, 10:25:37 AM

News:

New Calif. Exhaust Law SB435 Jan. 1st!

Started by hd06myway, August 03, 2012, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06myway

August 03, 2012, 07:07:34 AM Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:10:03 AM by hd06myway
If anyone hasn't already heard about this yet, the state of Calif is putting into effect, starting Jan 1st, 2013, a new law, SB435, making it illegal to tamper with O2 sensors, modifying exhaust in any way, and lower the decible levels (82 db's in Cal. now).  The clincher is, there's going to be a "stamp" on the stock exhaust, or an aftermarket exhaust, ONLY if it meets the stringent new requirement, that matches your VIN no.  Thunder Press Aug edition has a good article on this.  Watt this law does is make it very simple cut and dry, black and white for a police officer if they pull you over for speeding say, to look down at your exhaust, the stamp no. on that exhaust must match the number on your VIN.  No match, you get a ticket and big fine$.  According to the article, eliminating the Os sensors on a closed loop EFI system like HDs been using since model yr. 2007, is stupid anyway, because it actually decreases the bikes perfomance, as well as releasing a lot more pollution into the air.  This law, in Calf. means all 2013 models will have to conform to it.   By having the matching stamp on the exhaust, with your VIN, the state doesn't have to invest $ they can't afford on EPA testing machines needed to hook up to motorcycles durring inspections.  If the stock exhaust is gone, and that aftermarket one you have on doesn't have a certified compliant stamp, your a target for fines.  And an aftermarket compliant exhaust is going to be a "much quieter" sounding pipe than we're use to, it's the only way they get "the stamp).   You can bet your sweet bippy's this law wil make it's way acrosss the rest of the country in due time.  Super Trapp is one of the handful of aftermarket exhaust mfg's that makes an EPA COMPLIANT exhaust that meets this new standard for clean air and noise pollution.  The state's trying to kill 2 birds with one stone and appears to have a pretty good shot at doing just that.  :idunno: :emoGroan:

Admiral Akbar

While I lost all confidence in the Terminator, there may be some good to come out of this.. It will finally force the after market to build a good high performance quiet exhaust for HDs.  I haven't bought a new HD since 1999.

Max

runamuck

Just one more reason not to live on the left (leftist) coast..

NETacomaFatboy

Ah fear not Californians...   Someone will be able to stamp your after market exhaust for you...

:scoot: :scoot:

Dennis The Menace

Sounds good to me.  Not a big deal, since its only idle sound, not WOT measurement.  Some guys may not like not being able to gut the cat, but that isnt that big of an issue either, IME.

hd06myway

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on August 03, 2012, 09:02:27 AM
Sounds good to me.  Not a big deal, since its only idle sound, not WOT measurement.  Some guys may not like not being able to gut the cat, but that isnt that big of an issue either, IME.

According to Kip Woodring/Thunder Press, removing the cat only adds a couple-3 HP at very low (1st - 2nd gear) RPM range, it's not the performance robber (the cat), people make it out to be.  I suppose people remove it possibly to lower engine temps... To be honest with you, most cruiser riders I see/hear with the real loud no baffle and drag pipes are the metric cruiser guys... and most of the bikes IMO sound like "Potty mouth".  But they are loud and these goofballs want their unsuspecting neighbors & public to think they're actually riding the real deal...  ::)

Inda Win

Coff 06

It doesn't really matter that much to me,just another LAW for the masses.Most all the parts that I've replaced on mine aren't legal in Cali anyway,and I live far enough out in the sticks that I don't get hassled,but at the same time I don't look for trouble when in town.Sure if I wanted to I could set off every car alarm on my way through town,but I'm older now and LIKE flying under the radar.Piss them off with LOUD pipes then next it will be my non dot beanie,then maybe they don't like how my turn signals have been relocated,blah,blah,blah.I don't like having to look over my shoulder to see who's after me now.       Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Steve Cole

August 03, 2012, 03:39:14 PM #8 Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:44:15 PM by Steve Cole
I think people need to read this over as it doesn't sound near that bad

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/sb%20435.pdf

http://www.motorcycle.com/news/california-senate-approves-sb-435-89914.html

http://bikersofAmerica.blogspot.com/2011/03/california-sb-435-clearing-up.html

Talks about what SB435 ended up passing as versus what it once was.The Anti tampering provision has been a FEDERAL LAW for near 20 years already.............. anyone having trouble with it so far?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

bericuda

how many times do we have to hear this bull.....? i guess government and the media ain't the only users of the fear factory-get a life......

Ultrashovel

People love to run California down but eventually, all of the states will have to do things like this.

Personally, I could care less. I run stock mufflers and I have never, ever been stopped on a motorcycle. Cops up here in Northern California tend to leave bikes and their riders alone as long as they aren't doing something stupid in plain view.

Coyote

Quote from: Ultrashovel on August 03, 2012, 06:55:38 PM
People love to run California down but eventually, all of the states will have to do things like this.

Personally, I could care less. I run stock mufflers and I have never, ever been stopped on a motorcycle. Cops up here in Northern California tend to leave bikes and their riders alone as long as they aren't doing something stupid in plain view.

:agree:   Most times I see CHP shooting radar, they lower their gun about the time they could shoot me. This loud pipe thing has been coming for some time and it has and will move across to other states. Try running around Vail or Aspen with your loud pipes.  :wink:   It's time to quiet things down which is a good thing. I love my quiet Supertrapps.  :up:

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Coyote on August 03, 2012, 07:13:59 PM
Quote from: Ultrashovel on August 03, 2012, 06:55:38 PM

:agree:   Most times I see CHP shooting radar, they lower their gun about the time they could shoot me. This loud pipe thing has been coming for some time and it has and will move across to other states. Try running around Vail or Aspen with your loud pipes.  :wink:   It's time to quiet things down which is a good thing. I love my quiet Supertrapps.  :up:

I used to have a vintage stainless Supertrapp on my Shovelhead. It was from the period when they were built up here in Northern Cal. I actualy had two of them that I got at a swap meet for $40 without the rings. I put 12 rings and a closed cap on one of them and ran it for several years. It was a terrific muffler that actually helped the performance. It was very quiet too.

I agree, you don't have to be loud to ride. I have always run mufflers. I just want to ride and don't particularly like the noise that a loud set of pipes can put out.

tdkkart

Quote from: Steve Cole on August 03, 2012, 03:39:14 PM

Talks about what SB435 ended up passing as versus what it once was.The Anti tampering provision has been a FEDERAL LAW for near 20 years already.............. anyone having trouble with it so far?

Uh??
According to the above info, this bill passed the senate in 2010, and all the info is that old.

Did Arnold ever actually sign the bill?

Where's the most currrent info?? :nix:

Ultrashovel

Quote from: tdkkart on August 03, 2012, 08:49:53 PM

Uh??
According to the above info, this bill passed the senate in 2010, and all the info is that old.

I looked in the Health and Safety Code (Cal) and Section 44011 shows that motorcycles are still exempt from testing every two years. That will continue until the state develops testing procedures for motorcycles.

ABATE is taking all of the credit for this remaining as it is. With all due respect to their efforts, I can tell you that no one in the legislature has any idea how to test motorcycles and it's a case of letting sleeping dogs lie. Besides, they have other ways to screw us that are a lot easier, like raising taxes....I better stop now before I tell you what I really think about the California government. LOL.

I don't know where the so-called muffler stamping law might be unless someone can quote a code section. I don't know anything about it, other than what I hear on this site. In any case, it would only affect new motorcycles. There has been no notice given either, so that people might comply. No notice, no law as far as I'm concerned.

bericuda

ever heard of a dog chasin it's tail? the day cali is part of the real world we will all be dead.......

Ultrashovel

Quote from: bericuda on August 03, 2012, 09:49:20 PM
ever heard of a dog chasin it's tail? the day cali is part of the real world we will all be dead.......

Yeah, another vote for the Golden State. I still love it here. It's sure been good to me. Laugh all you want.  :pop:

Jaycee1964

Too much government.   I'm all for what you personally like to ride.  I run a louder pipe but I know when to let off the throttle for the neighbors  :wink:   Seems California is always where this stuff starts and they can't leave well enough alone. That's one of the reasons I moved outta there 30 years ago.  I'll stay in New England... Live Free or Die
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

76shuvlinoff

I hate more laws regardless of "the cause". I think most if not all laws like this are born due to fools not being able to regulate themselves. Thanks to ourselves we can expect further encroachment on our lives.

That said I have non stock mufflers on both my bikes, they are not Honda quiet but I know how to ride quiet when it is appropriate.

Where I work there are 4 H-Ds but loudest bike in the lot is a guy on a 1300 VTX and you hear it every day. He comes in hot and he leaves hot. One of these days he'll get pinched for it and I will laugh in his face when he cries "No Fair!"

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

hd06myway

Quote from: Ultrashovel on August 03, 2012, 09:32:31 PM
Quote from: tdkkart on August 03, 2012, 08:49:53 PM

Uh??

I looked in the Health and Safety Code (Cal) and Section 44011 shows that motorcycles are still exempt from testing every two years. That will continue until the state develops testing procedures for motorcycles.

ABATE is taking all of the credit for this remaining as it is. With all due respect to their efforts, I can tell you that no one in the legislature has any idea how to test motorcycles and it's a case of letting sleeping dogs lie. Besides, they have other ways to screw us that are a lot easier, like raising taxes....I better stop now before I tell you what I really think about the California government. LOL.

I don't know where the so-called muffler stamping law might be unless someone can quote a code section. I don't know anything about it, other than what I hear on this site. In any case, it would only affect new motorcycles. There has been no notice given either, so that people might comply. No notice, no law as far as I'm concerned.

The way I understood the article, the muffler stamping matching the VIN is for new models only, from 2013 on.  I'm not too worried this will cause a firestorm of tickets, but cops today are fearing their jobs from cutbacks, and the increase in tickets in general is due to the state generating revenue.  What this law in Calf. (only Cal for now), does is makes it easy for a cop to checl for the stamp and VIN, if they don't match, ticket.  It's any easy way to generate revenue, and states don't have to invest $ they don't have into EPA testing machines.

Ultrashovel

The way I understood the article, the muffler stamping matching the VIN is for new models only, from 2013 on.  I'm not too worried this will cause a firestorm of tickets, but cops today are fearing their jobs from cutbacks, and the increase in tickets in general is due to the state generating revenue.  What this law in Calf. (only Cal for now), does is makes it easy for a cop to checl for the stamp and VIN, if they don't match, ticket.  It's any easy way to generate revenue, and states don't have to invest $ they don't have into EPA testing machines.

In theory, of couirse, you could get an additional ticket if the cop stops you for something like speeding or an illegal lane change. In practice, they have bigger fish to fry. They love to stop cars, trucks, busses and vans. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop stop a motorcyclist. It's prertty rare, at least in Northern California. Like Judy Tenuta used to say, "It could happen" but it doesn't happen all that often and, I might add, it's probably usually a crotch rocket owner who's trying out his new four-banger on the freeway to see how long he can hold a wheelie.

Also, I might point out that inspecting the muffler stamp is no easy task for a cop in full uniform with belt, gun, flashlight and so on. It would also require them to get down on their hands and knees and try to look for the stamping. Even if it's there on a stock muffler, it's rather small and could also be occluded by dirt by being underneath a saddlebag. Additionally, do you think that a cop is going to put himself in that position when stopping an angry, unruly biker? LOL.

I mean, it's a nice solution for a fat-a**ed legislator, but in actual practice, it's just another ho-hum B.S. law on the books that won't get much action.

tdkkart

Quote from: Ultrashovel on August 04, 2012, 06:49:33 AM

In theory, of couirse, you could get an additional ticket if the cop stops you for something like speeding or an illegal lane change. In practice, they have bigger fish to fry. They love to stop cars, trucks, busses and vans. I can't even remember the last time I saw a cop stop a motorcyclist. It's prertty rare, at least in Northern California. Like Judy Tenuta used to say, "It could happen" but it doesn't happen all that often and, I might add, it's probably usually a crotch rocket owner who's trying out his new four-banger on the freeway to see how long he can hold a wheelie.

Also, I might point out that inspecting the muffler stamp is no easy task for a cop in full uniform with belt, gun, flashlight and so on. It would also require them to get down on their hands and knees and try to look for the stamping. Even if it's there on a stock muffler, it's rather small and could also be occluded by dirt by being underneath a saddlebag. Additionally, do you think that a cop is going to put himself in that position when stopping an angry, unruly biker? LOL.

I mean, it's a nice solution for a fat-a**ed legislator, but in actual practice, it's just another ho-hum B.S. law on the books that won't get much action.

But did Arnie ever actually pass the law??
Is it really going into effect January 1st??
I've not heard another word about it except from these old articles.

hd06myway

Your right about that stamp, at least the article illuded to it not being that easy to see on th emuffler, yea, I don't see cops bending over trying to find it either.. but it's pretty funny to envision it!  :smilep:

Ohio HD

Quote from: hd06myway on August 04, 2012, 06:58:26 AM

Your right about that stamp, at least the article illuded to it not being that easy to see on th emuffler, yea, I don't see cops bending over trying to find it either.. but it's pretty funny to envision it!  :smilep:

We have female cops in Cincinnati!    :up:   :smilep:

hd06myway

Quote from: tdkkart on August 04, 2012, 06:53:22 AM

But did Arnie ever actually pass the law??
Is it really going into effect January 1st??
I've not heard another word about it except from these old articles.

Yes it is going into affect Jan 1st, don't know who signed it, Arnold or Jerry... I would guess Arnold since it takes a couple yrs to go in affect I think.  We'll see how it goes in Cali, I'm sure if riders are getting tickets for it we'll here about it.  The article didn't say cpos would be pulling people over for an inspection, most likely speeding, but that was another thing they could get you on.  I know I'm gettin old when the cops look like kids to me... it's harder for me to say "yes sir" than it use to be!  :wink: