May 09, 2024, 10:11:50 AM

News:

Power Vision questions

Started by BVHOG, August 16, 2012, 05:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozbob

Cheers
Thanks for all the assistance in this thread, this thread convinced me to at least try the product.

Looks like we have to wait some as a work in progress in these areas of CDE and IVO. IF DJ can get that down square, I believe the product will sit at the top of the pile.
Just finished doing some Basic Tune runs on my SGlide with air, VH true duals and 48's. very happy with the ease of tuning and results to date.
My custom built 120ci Dyna needs those CDE and IVO tables to enable a good base to start a tune from scratch.

wurk_truk

November 06, 2012, 08:57:28 AM #176 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:18:42 AM by wurk_truk
Ozbob, curious as to why you bought the PV and not TTS?  TTS has all of these features already done and in the box...  Every 120R running around that I know of was either Dyno tuned or uses TTS or SEPST.  Curious is all.  I wish to learn how folks think.

You are somewhat correct on whats needed to get a 120 up and running decently.  Most important will be the tables all used for idle, is what I have found.  Crank steps will need changing, how many steps to run will need changing, warm up steps, warm up enrichment and cranking fuel.  Closed throttle spark should be about 21-23* and you MUST make the idle areas match that timing in the main spark tables, too.  Once this is sorted, then do the IVO and that tooth thingy, which is the Cam Tool in TTS.  THEN it's off to ride and gather data.  After a couple data runs, you will then wish to start dialing in the EGRs.  Do EGRs early instead of late in the tuning process.

Closed throttle spark will be what controls timing as the bike sits and idles.  The idle areas on the main spark tables should match, as those tables take over if the throttle is touched.  Matching will make the bike have way less surging, etc when it's trying to warm up, because if the ECM commands more fuel, then its also taking it out of the closed spark and placing it into the main spark tables.  This can 'bounce' back and forth until the bike is all warmed up and solidly resting on the closed spark table.

I don't believe the PV will 'sit on the top of the pile' anytime soon.  But since it DOES seem to track whatever TTS has already done, that will make it easier for you guys to simply follow TTS advice and move forward.  I DO like the latest rev that allows one to globally change a few things around while on the road...  quite a bit, actually.  If DJ would allow one to plug in an actual monitor, THEN they would have something.
Oh No!

Ozbob

Both my bikes have TTS tunes in them, I bought PV's and AT to try on both of 'em. Why, because I can.
My 4.5x4.125 was dyno tuned with TTS, my tuner prefers the DJ stuff though.
I'm a consumer, I'll try anything.

joe_lyons

To show the same type of histogram as the TTS uses that shows where the 60kpa and lower correlates with throttle position to help you with finding out where the EGR/CDE table will affect you need to set the settings of the autotune to only record at a max of 60kpa and then it will show you the data you need to know in the histogram.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

hrdtail78

Ozbob,
What bike are you tuning now?  The streetglide, if MAP base VE's will be different than your dyna.  Knowing where EGR is going to effect VE's is easy with MAP base.  It's 60-70kpa colum.
Semper Fi

Ozbob

Currently playing with the Street Glide and Basic Tune mode.
Still waiting for the AT module to show up.

joe_lyons

Ya with map based tunes that is much easier to view. And I am tuning my dyna every day as I ride through the week.  I would still like to have a map based tune file option for the cable drive bikes.

rbabos

December 27, 2012, 06:13:00 PM #182 Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 07:24:16 PM by rbabos
Ok, so I got my PV . Did the updates, dug up the two v rod cals online I would like to try and loaded them to the unit. What does the option to check the box for each item do. I'm assuming it's selecting what item to tune and the not the unchecked ones but not sure.
Also of not great importance since I can access these elsewhere, the help file creates an error and I can't view it, plus the readme is totally blank. This is only from the program menu. From the WinPV it can be accessed. :nix:

Never mind, I figured it out. :wink:
Ron

rbabos

I'm confused, again. :scratch:
There is mention of a LOG VIEWER.  It never came on the cd. Do I need to download this program as well. All I got was the WinPV.
Ron

delta

Yes. Go to dynojet.com The files and docs are in the download section.

rbabos

Quote from: delta on December 29, 2012, 04:23:53 AM
Yes. Go to dynojet.com The files and docs are in the download section.
Ok, will do. Thanks.
Ron

rbabos

What does that little red button do on the right top side of the unit do?
Ron

joe_lyons

Ken R

Quote from: rbabos on December 29, 2012, 11:24:45 AM
Ron

I asked tech support the same question when I thought my PowerVision was goofing up.  They told me is was a "reset" button.  I've never seen any documentation that covers the button.

My PV wasn't goofing up after all.  It was a problem with my USB port in the computer.  Changed ports and it sprang to life. 

You asked about log viewer.  I also had that same question.  The one that comes with PV is kind of lame (either that or I didn't understand it).  But you can open the log file with Excel and view any data line you wish.  It does take another learning curve . . . how to us Excel.  I'm  not good at it. 

There is also another source for a viewer.  The trial version only allows a fraction of a file to display; so the trial version is almost useless.  I didn't see enough in the trial to convince me to pay for the program.  May some day in the future.   

I asked Tech Support to include a good log viewer in future releases (along with several other requests).  It really needs one to keep up with the features of other systems. 

Ken

FSG

rbabos

rbabos

Quote from: Ken R on December 29, 2012, 12:05:07 PM
Ron

I asked tech support the same question when I thought my PowerVision was goofing up.  They told me is was a "reset" button.  I've never seen any documentation that covers the button.

My PV wasn't goofing up after all.  It was a problem with my USB port in the computer.  Changed ports and it sprang to life. 

You asked about log viewer.  I also had that same question.  The one that comes with PV is kind of lame (either that or I didn't understand it).  But you can open the log file with Excel and view any data line you wish.  It does take another learning curve . . . how to us Excel.  I'm  not good at it. 

There is also another source for a viewer.  The trial version only allows a fraction of a file to display; so the trial version is almost useless.  I didn't see enough in the trial to convince me to pay for the program.  May some day in the future.   

I asked Tech Support to include a good log viewer in future releases (along with several other requests).  It really needs one to keep up with the features of other systems. 

Ken
Good to know the mysterious function of the button. :hyst:
When setting up the cal to tune it asks to set these.
• MAP*
• Engine Temp*
• Warm-up AFR or Lambda*
• TP*
• RPM*
• VE New Front*
• VE New Rear*
• Lambda 1**
• Lambda 2 **
• Accel Enrich*
• Spark Knock F*
• Spark Knock R*
• Set AFR (Ratio or Lambda
I've not found a specific Map, engine temp, tp and rpm to actually set. What am I missing here?
I see map load normalization and idle rpms to set.
Ron

delta

Dynojet has a library of maps for different years & configurations here: http://www.dynojet.com/Powervision/PowerVisionMapsTunesDownloads.aspx

Download a map(s) to your computer. Open WinPV and open the file. At this point on the upper menu click PowerVision then Update Tune Using PV. When this is done save the file. Send this file to a vacant slot on the PV. Then you are ready for autotuning.

Though I have never loaded a preconfigured tune that was already on the PV, I think it has to hooked up to your ECM with the bike turned on to actually view the library. I would think that it is similar to what is on the dynojet site.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started.

joe_lyons

I think the library is the same as whats online if you have the most up to date software/firmware.  Give Jamie from fuelmoto a call he is the resident expert.

Fire-Medic

December 29, 2012, 04:23:20 PM #194 Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:35:29 PM by Fire-Medic
Quote from: rbabos on December 29, 2012, 03:18:54 PM
Ron

Ken
• MAP*
• Engine Temp*
• Warm-up AFR or Lambda*
• TP*
• RPM*
• VE New Front*
• VE New Rear*
• Lambda 1**
• Lambda 2 **
• Accel Enrich*
• Spark Knock F*
• Spark Knock R*
I've not found a specific Map, engine temp, tp and rpm to actually set. What am I missing here?
Ron

If you do the Auto Tune straight from the device (no pc involved) the unit sets all of this for you and it makes the process much easier.

I will copy/paste this from the Fuel Moto Website:

As an alternative to logging the channels noted above you can also use the following procedure on your Power Vision unit. Go to Settings/Enter Code and enter the PIN number 319245 which will bring up a mini tuning screen which will not only allow you to monitor your hits in real time with a tracer cell, it also automatically logs the correct channels required for your calibration. You can start and stop logs right from this screen as well.

This is what I have done and it has made life much easier. I do have a PC to use if need be, but why involve the PC if there is a feature of the software/device that allows you to do the auto tune without it.

This is another link I have found helpful after entering the above code into the proper spot:

http://blogs.dynojet.com/index.php/2012/09/automated-tuning-is-now-a-reality/

This whole process, at least "for me", has been unbelievably easy. The hardest part about the whole process is finding a road that will allow you to spend enough time in each gear/RPM range as needed for the unit to recognize changes to be made if any.

Hope this helps some
FM

rbabos

Quote from: delta on December 29, 2012, 03:46:25 PM
Dynojet has a library of maps for different years & configurations here: http://www.dynojet.com/Powervision/PowerVisionMapsTunesDownloads.aspx

Download a map(s) to your computer. Open WinPV and open the file. At this point on the upper menu click PowerVision then Update Tune Using PV. When this is done save the file. Send this file to a vacant slot on the PV. Then you are ready for autotuning.

Though I have never loaded a preconfigured tune that was already on the PV, I think it has to hooked up to your ECM with the bike turned on to actually view the library. I would think that it is similar to what is on the dynojet site.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started.
Got enough info now to bs my way through. Just like to get a feel for most of it before acually hooking up.  Some I guess won't happen until the unit is on the bike, then more will make sense.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Fire-Medic on December 29, 2012, 04:23:20 PM
Quote from: rbabos on December 29, 2012, 03:18:54 PM
Ron

Ken
• MAP*
• Engine Temp*
• Warm-up AFR or Lambda*
• TP*
• RPM*
• VE New Front*
• VE New Rear*
• Lambda 1**
• Lambda 2 **
• Accel Enrich*
• Spark Knock F*
• Spark Knock R*
Ron

If you do the Auto Tune straight from the device (no pc involved) the unit sets all of this for you and it makes the process much easier.

I will copy/paste this from the Fuel Moto Website:

As an alternative to logging the channels noted above you can also use the following procedure on your Power Vision unit. Go to Settings/Enter Code and enter the PIN number 319245 which will bring up a mini tuning screen which will not only allow you to monitor your hits in real time with a tracer cell, it also automatically logs the correct channels required for your calibration. You can start and stop logs right from this screen as well.

This is what I have done and it has made life much easier. I do have a PC to use if need be, but why involve the PC if there is a feature of the software/device that allows you to do the auto tune without it.

This is another link I have found helpful after entering the above code into the proper spot:

http://blogs.dynojet.com/index.php/2012/09/automated-tuning-is-now-a-reality/

This whole process, at least "for me", has been unbelievably easy. The hardest part about the whole process is finding a road that will allow you to spend enough time in each gear/RPM range as needed for the unit to recognize changes to be made if any.

Hope this helps some
FM
I saw that, and will check it out. Did you mean to say (will not allow you to monitor your hits)?
Ron

Fire-Medic

Sorry Ron, the "not" is a typo and should be "now", I will send FM an email and let them know.

When you do your tuning runs, a "highlighted" box/cell appears wherever the PV is logging data at that instant. This has greatly helped me in my data logging thus far, as there is no guessing if you are riding around in the area/areas you need to still data log. It's all real time, and everything can be done from the unit itself.

Jamie Long

Ron

The red button puts the unit in bootloader/recovery mode. This is generally not used.

Jamie Long

Quote from: rbabos on December 28, 2012, 07:33:01 PM
I'm confused, again. :scratch:
There is mention of a LOG VIEWER.  It never came on the cd. Do I need to download this program as well. All I got was the WinPV.
Ron

PV Log Tuner software is available from http://www.dynojet.com/PowerVision/powervision-software-firmware-downloads.aspx?ProdType=Power%20Vision, however I highly recommend using the newer Auto Tune/log tuning features right on the PV display. You can view live data and hits right on the PV screen including +/- % correction, corrected VE, and you also have the ability to apply corrections directly to your calibration. Both Dynojet and Fuel Moto are working on videos that go over this process. There is documentation that goes thru the automated tuning process at http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/Support-Released/Power%20Vision/Manuals/PVAutoTune.01.pdf