May 09, 2024, 03:00:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Power Vision questions

Started by BVHOG, August 16, 2012, 05:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatfifth2003

Ok, I'll try that first glad I checked back before I headed out thanks!

upnorthbiker

Hi,
Thanks for the help on this forum, Ive got the bike running pretty good with Autotune basic now. Pulls strong, no backfiring or pops on decel and cruise is smooth. Only thing is, if you blip the throttle it sort of hesitates then revs up. I read in an earlier post from Rbabos that it was only a couple of adjustments. Any chance you want to share those adjustments please ?
Thanks again.
Jeff

rbabos

April 20, 2013, 06:35:48 PM #377 Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:14:27 PM by rbabos
Quote from: upnorthbiker on April 20, 2013, 10:43:49 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the help on this forum, Ive got the bike running pretty good with Autotune basic now. Pulls strong, no backfiring or pops on decel and cruise is smooth. Only thing is, if you blip the throttle it sort of hesitates then revs up. I read in an earlier post from Rbabos that it was only a couple of adjustments. Any chance you want to share those adjustments please ?
Thanks again.
Jeff
Could be your amount of accel fuel. Try lowering it or raising it from the default setting and see if it improves. However, blipping also exposes the area of the ve's you may not have hit well enough yet and they may not be correct causing the problem you have. I find it tough to hit a few areas consistantly of the cal in autotune with the v rod. What I get is a few random hits, enough to see a pattern happening. Then I smooth, interpolate the unhit cells from the highest left ones on the right over to the hit left cells.
You can see what numbers it's trying to achieve in the table , more or less. Next runs with autotune there will be way less adjustment needed and they fill faster giving you more smoothing info. I find the v rod difficult to fill large areas of the ve tables. It seems to operate in a very narrow diagaonal area and takes extremes to hit TPS% areas beyond this in road tuning. You will definately need to ride the brakes and twist the throttle at the same time to fill them better. Do this briefly, let the brakes cool and do it again. Throw in a few first gear runs close to rev limit as well. Mind you by then it's hit 60mph in first. :banghead: I've got about 2 more runs after my last smoothing and I'm calling done after one final smoothing.  It runs good everywhere now then I'll do a milage check. Twisting two 53mm throttle bodies autotuning sure eats up fuel big time.
Ron

upnorthbiker

Thanks Ron,
Your so right that the Vrod seems to like a diagonal aross the map and its very hard to hit some of the cells either side of it.
I'm not sure what you mean by " What I get is a few random hits, enough to see a pattern happening. Then I smooth, interpolate the unhit cells from the highest left ones on the right over to the hit left cells.You can see what numbers it's trying to achieve in the table , more or less. "
Are you using WinPV to compare the cell from the start tune map, then manually entering VE' thats close to VE's in adjoining cells or is there a smoothing software I need to use ?
Thanks again for the help and sorry if my questions are dumb.
Jeff

rbabos

Quote from: upnorthbiker on April 21, 2013, 03:00:18 AM
Thanks Ron,
Your so right that the Vrod seems to like a diagonal aross the map and its very hard to hit some of the cells either side of it.
I'm not sure what you mean by " What I get is a few random hits, enough to see a pattern happening. Then I smooth, interpolate the unhit cells from the highest left ones on the right over to the hit left cells.You can see what numbers it's trying to achieve in the table , more or less. "
Are you using WinPV to compare the cell from the start tune map, then manually entering VE' thats close to VE's in adjoining cells or is there a smoothing software I need to use ?
Thanks again for the help and sorry if my questions are dumb.
Jeff
I've been saving my exported runs in the tune file. I print them and look at my advancement. Within that diaganol area there will be unhit areas with lower (close to base cal) values. I blend these into the surrounding cells and specifically work this area only to confirm what I did. Since a lot depends on how the cells were filled with road tuning and they can vary +/-5 depending on technique. I have one specific cal that represents how I ride this thing, it becomes my base now. I will take those specifically worked areas and manually add these values to my custom base cal blend and leave the rest alone. Once done with all that, I will make another final run driving the bike semi normal and compare these values, final smoothing and done. Just want to be sure there's no bloated decel values present.  Last thing will be a mpg check to see if that's decent.
Ron

upnorthbiker

Thanks Ron, I need to do some more runs and save these tunes to find the trend, then try your technique of smoothing.
I will let you know how I get on.
Jeff

VDeuce

Looking through WinPV, I see no table similar to TTS IAC Crank to Run. Is there such a beast, or am I missing it? I find this table useful.

Still on the fence on whether to switch from TTS to PV for my 120R...

Has anyone tuned a 120 or similar larger displacement motor with PV yet? Also, virtually no mention of anyone using Auto Tune Pro (widebands).

strokerjlk

I have tuned a couple 120's with PV .
I use wide bands but not auto tune pro.
Nice tuner . If you like to see what's going on while riding? It's priceless.
Pretty cool just setting up all the gauges 
Like  watching the kpa change going with the wind and against the wind.
I was running 65 mph with the wind at 35-37 kpa in 6th two up .
Turned around and was running 45-51 kpa against the wind .
Lots of bells and whistles . :up:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Durwood

rbabos

Quote from: VDeuce on April 22, 2013, 12:08:51 PM
Looking through WinPV, I see no table similar to TTS IAC Crank to Run. Is there such a beast, or am I missing it? I find this table useful.

Has anyone tuned a 120 or similar larger displacement motor with PV yet? Also, virtually no mention of anyone using Auto Tune Pro (widebands).
In options, choose pro level and more tables will appear in the cal items.
Ron

VDeuce

Quote from: rbabos on April 22, 2013, 01:33:51 PM

Ron, I have it in Pro mode - still don't see that table.

rbabos

Quote from: strokerjlk on April 22, 2013, 12:23:37 PM
I have tuned a couple 120's with PV .
I use wide bands but not auto tune pro.
Nice tuner . If you like to see what's going on while riding? It's priceless.
Pretty cool just setting up all the gauges 
Like  watching the kpa change going with the wind and against the wind.
I was running 65 mph with the wind at 35-37 kpa in 6th two up .
Turned around and was running 45-51 kpa against the wind .
Lots of bells and whistles . :up:
I've just started playing with doodads too now that my tuning is done. I'm amazed at how much range each throttle % has between points vrs rpms. Thought it wasn't reading right at first since I had to rev the snot out of it to see 4%. Turned bike off and twisted the grip. All 100% is there. Wonder what effect this has for tuning since some cells are next to impossible to hit on the road. Just plain misses them repeatedly. No problem that's what blending is for. :wink:
Engine temp, volts , and afr requested on display for now. If I get bored looking at that, there's a whole shitload more to look at. I'm extemely pleased with the tune and using the PV.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: VDeuce on April 22, 2013, 01:34:37 PM

Don't know. I have it in my v rod cal. Originally I didn't have an O2 heated switch. I sent them the cal and it came back with one, probably to make me go away. :hyst: Could be an option for you too.
Ron

VDeuce

Quote from: rbabos on April 22, 2013, 01:46:01 PM

Don't know. I have it in my v rod cal. Originally I didn't have an O2 heated switch. I sent them the cal and it came back with one, probably to make me go away. :hyst: Could be an option for you too.
Ron
Ah the old hidden table trick, lol! Perhaps that is the case. I did get Pat at Dynojet to send me a starting base cal for a 120R, but since mine has the 662-2 cams, I don't know how far off it'll be vs a stock 120R. I will probably bite the bullet and order the damned thing. I must love pain.

Then again, collecting data would be a whole lot easier than dragging that darned laptop around that loves to lockup after gathering 20 minutes of great data.

rbabos

Quote from: VDeuce on April 22, 2013, 01:55:36 PM
Quote from: rbabos on April 22, 2013, 01:46:01 PM

Ron
Ah the old hidden table trick, lol! Perhaps that is the case. I did get Pat at Dynojet to send me a starting base cal for a 120R, but since mine has the 662-2 cams, I don't know how far off it'll be vs a stock 120R. I will probably bite the bullet and order the damned thing. I must love pain.

Then again, collecting data would be a whole lot easier than dragging that darned laptop around that loves to lockup after gathering 20 minutes of great data.
I was incorrect. I don't have the iac crank to run either. In my case I never missed it or needed it. Sorry for the confusion. Cranking fuel stuck in my mind until I actually pulled up the cal. You still might be able to get the table from Pat.
Ron

VDeuce

Well I just pulled the trigger and bought one. Some might be excited to get a tool like this; for me it's  :emoGroan:  :wink:

I just hope I can get a decent tune out of this. I think I'll try basic auto tune first and if I think that gets it reasonable, I will pop for the widebands and hit the high KPA areas.

Durwood

Quote from: VDeuce on April 22, 2013, 02:20:30 PM
Well I just pulled the trigger and bought one. Some might be excited to get a tool like this; for me it's  :emoGroan:  :wink:

I just hope I can get a decent tune out of this. I think I'll try basic auto tune first and if I think that gets it reasonable, I will pop for the widebands and hit the high KPA areas.
Cool, congrats on the new equipment :up:

Durwood

Will power vision save my existing tuned TTS map or do I need to load my original MTE back in before I marry the PV to my bike?

mayor

depends on which version of Mastertune was used for tuning.  If it was an older version, it will likely be able to pull it...if newer, very doubtful. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Coyote

If the ECM is locked PV can't back it up. Been there, tried that.

Durwood

If I move forward and it won't save it, then I need to load my MTE, then proceed with the marring/map loading process of PV?

It would be nice if I could start with my existing cal, the bike runs great, I would just like to be able to change mufflers without a complete tune..

Coyote

I doubt you are running that old a version so it's not going to save. You would need to restore your factory cal to do anything with PV. Makes sure prior to all of this that you let PC update the PC software AND the PV software.

After that and you have your factory cal installed, you can download the closest map available for your build from DynoJet or request one from Fuel Moto. Once you have the map, you use the PC software to load it into a slot in the PV. Then hook it to your bike and install the map. The PV will ask if you want to marry them and then it will automatically save your stock map to the PV and load the new one.

When you connect the PV back to the PC, it will download the stock map to your PC for a backup.

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on April 24, 2013, 04:54:53 PM
If I move forward and it won't save it, then I need to load my MTE, then proceed with the marring/map loading process of PV?

It would be nice if I could start with my existing cal, the bike runs great, I would just like to be able to change mufflers without a complete tune..
You will need a close PV cal to start with. Mind you, you can view the existing you have with tts and use it for reference in the tables and go from there. The two don't play well with each other but pretty sure values in the tables can be manually transfered as a starting point. Could save a bit of time. Just a suggestion if you have a really good cal right now.
Ron

Durwood

Thanks Keith :up:

Ron, Stroker has this thing running great, I am just messing around and would like to be able to make changes to the bike,like different mufflers without a complete new tune.

Besides you guys are having all the fun...LOL

Ken R

Quote from: Durwood on April 24, 2013, 04:54:53 PM

I started with my TTS tune.  I hand entered it into powervision via my desktop computer, cell by cell, table by table.  There were some differences in cells, but not so much that I couldn't extrapolate to approximate the cell contents.  Took 2 or 3 hours of tedium; but got it done. 

Then I did tuning runs.  The tune wasn't far off from what PV said it liked.  Since then, I've done a dozen or so tuning runs.  I think my motorcycle is running rather well.  Starts easily, good gas mileage, etc. 

Ken