May 08, 2024, 09:36:54 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Air Fuel Ratio Meter

Started by able2222, February 05, 2009, 11:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycalvin

Evo, thanks for the head pipe tip.  I might look into that.  Currently, I run V&H BSS but still have my complete factory exhaust system.

kansasroadking

could you use a 1 wire o2 sensor and temporarily hook up a volt meter to it for tuning? isn't that really what these gauges really are anyway..... fancy volt meters that convert .0-1.0 volts into afr #'s?

crazycalvin

Quote from: kansasroadking on March 04, 2009, 12:42:17 AM
could you use a 1 wire o2 sensor and temporarily hook up a volt meter to it for tuning? isn't that really what these gauges really are anyway..... fancy volt meters that convert .0-1.0 volts into afr #'s?

You are correct about the fancy voltmeter; actually it is more like a milliVolt meter with fancy calibration resistors.  You could take the output of an o2 sensor and read it with a voltmeter.  The problem with a voltmeter is that if you were riding the bike and watching the voltmeter at the same time, it might be difficult to interpret the numerical value were as a LED display would be a little easier for you to process.  Unless the o2 sensor is mounted near the exhaust port, you might want to use a four wire o2 sensor two wires are for the heater and two wires are for the o2 sensor output.

Evo160K

Kansasroadking,

Like Crazycalvin said, you're correct.  That's how I verified the O2 sensors were working that I picked up at the junk yard.  As you would expect, at idle you can screw the a/f adjustment screw out or in and watch the milliamps on your ampmeter go up or down. 

The meter on the plan goes from 0 milliamps (no LEDs) to 1000 milliamps (10 LEDs).  It turned out each LED represented 100 +/- milliamps, again as you would expect.

N-gin

So how did everything workout Mayor?
:pop:
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

mayor

I didn't end up using the pig tail apparatus that I made for the o2 sensor.  I ended up putting '07 and up head pipes on both my carb Dyna's, so I could mount o2 sensors right at the port.  Once I did that, haven't had much need to try my pig tail set up.   :unsure:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions