News:

Air Fuel Ratio Meter

Started by able2222, February 05, 2009, 11:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzznut5197

Quote from: Sonny S. on February 08, 2009, 05:18:48 AM
Fuzznut, will you get in here and tell us what's going on  :wink:

Sheesh, it's Sunday, I'm allowed to sleep late!   :teeth:

I don't want to litter this thread with a million afr graphs, so give me a couple of hours to upload at my image dump site, and list all the details. AFAIK, the problem is still unresolved.

mayor

Quote from: fuzznut5197 on February 08, 2009, 07:01:45 AM
I don't want to litter this thread with a million afr graphs, so give me a couple of hours to upload at my image dump site, and list all the details. AFAIK, the problem is still unresolved.

Fuzz, you could always start a new thread in the AFR section... :teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Sonny S.

Quote from: mayor on February 08, 2009, 06:05:20 AM
Quote from: ederdelyi on February 08, 2009, 05:44:13 AM
The main thing I didn't like about the long sniffers was response time and having the dang thing hanging out of the pipe on the road. I'll go the bung route if I have the choice, but sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.

I agree, both my TC's will have bungs on the head pipes.  I'm building the sniffer pipe for when I'm messing with bikes without the bungs. I've got a sporty with chrome pipe but without heat shields, so I didn't want to weld on those head pipes. 

I have not used the sniffer yet so I have no experience with it. Made one for pipes without bungs.

Admiral Akbar

So you made your own sniffer..  Got a pic? Max

Admiral Akbar

Thanks,

been using the "new" button discussion titles and it musta skipped over the pics..  :embarrassed:  my pet peeve is not reading the previous posts..   :crook: Max

PanHeadRed

>A bud used this plan....built a dual gauge.... less than $50<

EVO, that's way cool  :smiled: Your post sounds like the conversation I had with mayor. I said "I don't care if the build one from a Heathkit.

>It's kinda neat to see what's happening at any moment.  The smallest twist of the throttle shows up instantly, start up an incline and the a/f ratio changes.<

I agree, the last time I tooned my bike was in July/August as a result of an exhaust change, at the time it was a little on the rich side, last night riding home I had to pull the enrichment cable to get any lights lit.

ederdelyi

>>I don't care if the build one from a Heathkit.<<

Hey now! For the price, some of their stuff wasn't all that bad! :>)

PanHeadRed

Sonny, I think a concern for the people looking to get "budget" units is construction. Some of the less expensive automobile units, may not be weather proofed or durable enough to hang out on MC handle bars.

Like I discussed with mayor, I bought mine for the duribility, you guys got yours for the sophistication and versitility. IMO a fella can't go wrong with ANY unit for what ever the reasons.

PanHeadRed

Ed I was not knocking it, I was merely emphasizing my point of how necessary I think they are for guys trying to tune their own bikes. If I would have known I could build one (OR TWO) for $50.00, guess which one (OR TWO) would be on my bike?

No Googling or peeking at you drawers allowed.

ederdelyi

February 08, 2009, 09:11:50 AM #60 Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 09:14:59 AM by ederdelyi
>>IMO a fella can't go wrong with ANY unit for what ever the reasons.<<

True dat. I'll admit it, I actually built a couple of the DIY meters, one narrow, and one wide band just to satisfy my curiosity. Sure, they didn't have the bells and whistles of the higher end stuff but they did measure the O2 content with reasonable results. Red herrings can happen with low and high end stuff, the high end stuff often just adds to the confusion factor!

EDIT: Our posts crossed. I know you weren't, I usually know when you are actually not "impressed" with something. :>)

Sonny S.

Sonny, I think a concern for the people looking to get "budget" units is construction. Some of the less expensive automobile units, may not be weather proofed or durable enough to hang out on MC handle bars.

OK, I don't recall recommending an automotobile unit so I'll just agree with you  :dgust:

PanHeadRed

You did'nt, I was refering to your post #33 to Jeff and was posting an opinion for the sake of the conversation.

Sonny S.

PanHeadRed

I was wondering if it would be worth while to start a AFR gauge thread over in the AFR section, having people post their experiences and why they chose the model/brand they did, how they like it, and what they would do different if they were to do it over. With real world experience it might help those who are finding it hard to choose one over the other.

Sonny S.

good idea ...
Fire it up   :up:

hdpegscraper

I had brought up an automotive one, and yes water was a concern. Where an how this one is mounted hasnt posed a problem yet, be it washing, or raining on, parked or moving. But this might not work on all bikes.

mayor

Quote from: PanHeadRed on February 08, 2009, 01:14:23 PM
I was wondering if it would be worth while to start a AFR gauge thread over in the AFR section, having people post their experiences and why they chose the model/brand they did, how they like it, and what they would do different if they were to do it over. With real world experience it might help those who are finding it hard to choose one over the other.

there's already some good stuff on this thread, whatch'a think about having it moved it over to the AFR section?

I still haven't WEGO'd anything, but I'm getting closer.  Here's an update on my pipe sniffer:

I used a 1/2" pipe T, 3/8" pipe reducers, and compression fittings which are then connected to 1/4" soft copper pipe.  I used a 3/8" reducer on the top, soldered it in place, drilled the hole out to 5/8", tapped it with a 18mm tap, then sanded it down a fuzz to make sure the O2 sensor tip was completely visible in the chamber. 

here's a demo pic on the bike:

I don't have the mount figured out yet, but I think I'm going to make a bracket that mounts off of the muffler bracket.  I was kinda surprised how far up the pipe the sniffer tube would go.  I think that I was just about up to the exhaust port.   :smileo: 

fuzznut5197

QuoteI used a 3/8" reducer on the top, soldered it in place,

Lead-free, right? I'm just saying, as I know I'm not the only one with old 60/40 laying around.

Looks great!

mayor

good question Fuzz, I'm not sure.   :embarrassed:  what's the risk if it is?  I'll go out and check...

fuzznut5197

mayor

well Fuzz, you're not the only one still using solder with lead....mine's a 50/50 blend.  :emsad:  looks like I'm building another "T", the worst thing is this was "T" number 2, the first one went to the scrap pile due to the hole drilling process.   :embarrassed: 

Evo160K

Mayor,
As a brief aside, what's the white plug in the 4-place connector (I assume it's a weather seal) and where did you get it?

mayor

Quote from: Evo160K on February 08, 2009, 05:01:26 PM
Mayor,
As a brief aside, what's the white plug in the 4-place connector (I assume it's a weather seal) and where did you get it?

Sorry, can't help you on that one.  I didn't make the O2 sensor set up.  The O2 sensor set up was how it came from DTT, the plug is a 6 pin and the O2 is a 5 wire. 

Sonny S.

Quote from: mayor on February 08, 2009, 04:22:41 PM
well Fuzz, you're not the only one still using solder with lead....mine's a 50/50 blend.  :emsad:  looks like I'm building another "T", the worst thing is this was "T" number 2, the first one went to the scrap pile due to the hole drilling process.   :embarrassed: 

remove the solder from that one