May 08, 2024, 08:02:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

which cams would you reccomend

Started by harleyp, December 10, 2012, 11:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleyp

i have a 2012 flhtk 107   10.5 cp pistons, RR stage 4 heads, DD 2-1 exhaust  TTS  woods 555 currently hp 113  tq 122
i would like to get my torque to stay in there longer

Ohio HD

If you like Wood cams, probably the TW8-6 with the compression you have, and if you wanted to try an Andrews, the 55H does a good job of staying in the torque from 2,500 to 5,000 RPM. The wood cam may come in sooner. 

1FSTRK

Could you post a copy of your dyno graph? It would be nice to see the TQ curve you have now.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hillside Motorcycle

Yep.
The 8 cam will enhance the mid-upper hp and torque output.
To optimize the effectiveness of it, 10.75 would be the ticket.
If the heads are set up to handle a 408, then that would be a good choice also, @ your existing compression ratio.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

harleyp

harleyp

[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

1FSTRK

What is your CCP?
What TB? (to small?)
Which DnD?
It looks like you have plenty of cylinder pressure down low but you seem to lack flow. A cam can help but it is not the main hold up here. The TW555 will peak out closer to 6000 with all else right.

BVHOG

If I were to change cams for this setup I would be looking into the T-man 590, a slightly earlier intake closing than the Wood 8 but very similar, they are an aggressive cam but have a silent ramp design that the wood 8's do not. The 8's will be noticed in the form of vavle train clatter.  I have ran both in my own bike and prefer the T-man 590's. I have also used the 590 in a 107 with R&R stage 3 heads and ended up with a nice broad torque curve.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

harleyp

205 ccp   fat cat quiet baffle    stock throttle body

Hillside Motorcycle

December 10, 2012, 03:55:29 PM #9 Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:59:20 PM by Hillsidecyclecom
Quote from: harleyp on December 10, 2012, 01:20:21 PM
[attach=0]

That cam, or pipe doesn't fall off a cliff @ 4800.
Something is causing this............
Throttle body is probably the pinch, but we'll have to wait to see what the t/body police say...... :hyst:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hillside Motorcycle

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

DTTJGlide

05FLHTC

Fueling 574 runs alot like an 8 only silent  :wink:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

Hillside Motorcycle

408 does not have a history of noise, or maybe it does with the Wood haters. :nix:
Doesn't matter either way.
Scott

Bakon

I love the 408 or 400 at 10.5:1. Both run up hp till redline but 408 started easier.
wasting time

Bakon

Probably like 400 better. More grunt
wasting time

ndmp40

100 ft lbs of torque from 2500 to 5800.

I fail to see the deficiency here.

1FSTRK

IMHO Your current set up would benefit from a bigger TB and if you up the cam the tb will be even more of a hold up. Personally I would up the TB to the 54-55mm range as the first step and if the budget allows add a cam in the 244-246 duration range with IV closing of 41-44 degs. With your present CCP of 205 you should still have plenty down low with the ability to pull out the other end. I do not know how much lift your heads allow or how much flow they have at high lift but I personally like to keep lift at or below .600 on my bikes. All this said you could use most any cam that fits the above timing requirements. The TW8 with +4 gear, or the soon to be released TW888 , Tman TR590, DME TC575L, Red shift 575 to suggest a few,most of these will give you similar results and with available flow from the heads put your HP up where your TQ already is and 120/120 should be a great ride.

One other thing I noticed is your scaling on the dyno sheet gives the impression the TQ falls off hard because of the scaling used. Have them send you a sheet with Forced scaling active and it will look a lot better and will be visually comparable to most other posted sheets.

TorQuePimp

Throttle body ?

Head flow numbers @ 28" ?

No Cents

I ran Bobby's TW408-6's in a 103 stage IV build. I tried everything to get them quiet...but couldn't. They pulled hard...just had a little man with a hammer syndrome pecking away. I swapped them out by suggestion of TR Reiser to his Tman 625's. The valvetrain went stock quiet again and it made 120/122 on the dyno. The Tman 590/625's, or the Fueling Reaper 574's would be an excellent choice also.
I personally run the newer Fueling 594's in my 117"er (no dyno until after Xmas)...but I just got a pm from a guy who put the Reaper 594's in his SE 110" motor and the first base pull made 129/122...without a tune done yet! Needless to say the owner and tuner were very impressed with the 594's.

No Cents

:wink:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

strokerjlk

Looks like the pipe is choked up.
Try another exhaust .

A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

1FSTRK

December 12, 2012, 08:00:32 AM #22 Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:15:36 AM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: strokerjlk on December 12, 2012, 07:52:20 AM
Looks like the pipe is choked up.
Try another exhaust .

Do you have experience with the fat cat and quiet baffle for the 2012 bikes being a hold up at 113 hp?

Found this post in the dyno section. The scaling is better on this one but with different heads and exhaust Jamie's kit makes almost the same numbers 113hp 123TQ
Would like to see them both on the same scale graph I think for the long list of differences they would be very close in curve shape, The common factor being TB.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,56807.msg600866.html#msg600866

Steve Cole

Quote from: harleyp on December 10, 2012, 11:34:41 AM
i have a 2012 flhtk 107   10.5 cp pistons, RR stage 4 heads, DD 2-1 exhaust  TTS  woods 555 currently hp 113  tq 122
i would like to get my torque to stay in there longer

How do you ride the bike? While I understand what your asking for is a broader torque curve, step back and ask yourself the range you really run the engine in and see what fits your needs. What you have now isn't bad as it's well over 100 ft lbs clear to ~5800 RPM according to your chart. As was mentioned you may want to get another print out of the dyno chart with the scale matching on both sides and it will change the way it looks.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Jamie Long

I would ask to see a dyno chart with Gear Ratio X RPM on the X/Y axis to make sure the clutch is holding. The run posted also appears that it may have been made in 4th gear or lower which will spool the motor up quickly and the chart will not lay down as flat, the scaling also should be set to default/forced scaling. It would be nice to see a good 6th gear SAE corrected run with the scaling set correctly