May 08, 2024, 08:16:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LED headlight for 1/2 H-Ds price

Started by emxgarcia, December 16, 2012, 04:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emxgarcia

Hello:

A few weeks back I took a look at H-D LED headlights which run around the 500 USD
Further investigation revealed these are JW Speaker 8700 which can be had for under 400 USD
So I kept researching and found these Truck-Lite 27270C which can be found on eBay at 220 USD.
Now we are talking business!
These newer Truck-Lite model has a beautiful clean look and the price unbeatable.
The install was plug and play in my FLHX.
It fits perfectly on the stock 7" mount and the internal retaining ring fits perfectly too.
However, just so you are aware, it ends up protruding about 1/5 of an inch after you install the original external trim ring. See pics.
Just by chance I had ordered a Custom Chrome Black trim ring which happens to be a bit thicker and with a little hood like design and that made it look good.

These things are far and away better than the stock incandescent lights and so much simpler to install than HID kits while providing pretty much the same results at much lower power draw.

Hope this info is useful to my fellow forum members.

Ride safe and happy holidays.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
'07 FLHX • SE204 • K&N 3933 • Akrapovic 2:1 • TTS • Progressive Touring Link

Hogman

That Little Black Hoody thing (Trim Ring) seems to have Really Helped Clean up the Looks. ALL Looks Nice! :wink:  :up:
Hogman

shobby dobby

The cost on that light is about 168.00  I have got some inside info from a buddy that sell truck parts.

Shobby Dobby

emxgarcia

koko3052

JW Speakers seem to be a better light  for raining nights.... if your prone to that sort of thing! :pop:

mark61

I got the Truck lite. When installed it points closer to the bike than the halogen did so aim it before you add the trim ring.

PoorUB

There have been a few threads discussing the JW Speaker, the HD and the Kuryakyn LED lights, so do a search, there is info here on the group.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

harleyjt

Quote from: shobby dobby on December 16, 2012, 06:09:11 AM
The cost on that light is about 168.00  I have got some inside info from a buddy that sell truck parts.

Shobby Dobby

:scratch:

Where can it be had for $168?
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

koko3052

emxgarcia

Quote from: mark61 on December 16, 2012, 09:04:24 AM
I got the Truck lite. When installed it points closer to the bike than the halogen did so aim it before you add the trim ring.

Yep. I noticed. Last night did a test and left it without the trim today so I will double check tonight.
Thanks for the heads up!

emxgarcia

Quote from: koko3052 on December 16, 2012, 08:07:18 AM
JW Speakers seem to be a better light  for raining nights.... if your prone to that sort of thing! :pop:
Besides the price difference, I find the the JW design too cluttered, it's like to 4 circles and what have.
By contrast, the TruckLite is absolutely clean.

harleyjt

Quote from: koko3052 on December 16, 2012, 11:53:05 AM
HD's is the Trucklite model. FWIW :scoot:

No.  Harleys is the JW Speaker unit.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

ultra 08

I have a set of truck lites on mine and they are outstanding for night riding.They finely came out with a head light for a bike that puts some light down the road.
2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic

wingie

Truck lites work on a 05 Deluxe. Does stick out but the HD headlight rims work great. Way, Way, better light. Wingie

slow09

They look real nice. I put the headlamp and passing TL in my bike. Low beam still sucked and I didn't notice much difference in the passing lamps. My bike was wrecked a week later . When it's fixed I'm putting the stok passing lamps back in for visibility reasons. Will run the main light though. I'd like to see the HD/ speaker light to see if the Low beam is better. High beam was a very pleasant riding experience at night though

BrianG

Here is what it looks like on a FLSTC

YMMV

shobby dobby

It can't be had for 168.00  that is his store cost    Sorry you miss understood me.

Shobby Dobby

emxgarcia

koko3052

Quote from: harleyjt on December 16, 2012, 12:18:57 PM

jt
In Canada, Harley's is the Trucklite. :scratch:

emxgarcia

That's curious.. talk about confusing the customer  ;)

biglew55

Quote from: koko3052 on December 26, 2012, 04:44:41 AM
Quote from: harleyjt on December 16, 2012, 12:18:57 PM

jt
In Canada, Harley's is the Trucklite. :scratch:

The ones posted on the HD.ca site still show JW lights in the illustrations.
:nix:
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

hbkeith

Notice that some say the Low Beam on the Trucklite sucks, Does everyone feel the same about that ? Seems a waste to have a worst Low Beam than stock ,when most riding is done on Low Beam , I am interested in a beter Headlamp ,but, beter both ways  :nix:

biglew55

Quote from: hbkeith on December 26, 2012, 01:03:52 PM
Notice that some say the Low Beam on the Trucklite sucks, Does everyone feel the same about that ? Seems a waste to have a worst Low Beam than stock ,when most riding is done on Low Beam , I am interested in a beter Headlamp ,but, beter both ways  :nix:

Bogiediver has done some great reviews of these lights before.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,48994.msg516773.html#msg516773
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

ultra 08

I would not say the low beam was worse than stock. I am very happy with the truck lites I have and they have impressed everyone that has taken my bike out for a night time test ride to see how much of a difference the led truck lites made.
2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic

emxgarcia

All things considered, the TruckLite Phase 7 are a very good bet.
Some might argue the JW/HDs are better, some consider the TLs to be better.
The point is you wont go wrong with these.