May 08, 2024, 12:18:58 PM

News:

Just when I though we covered all oils

Started by War Horse, January 22, 2013, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

I go to my local guy and need some tranny oil, I wanted to stay with the Amsoil 75-140 but he didnt have any, only the 75-110, which mine doesnt seem to like.

He says that hes got some Redline "heavy: , OK, so I buy it but dont read the bottle, due to both of us having diarrhea mouth.

I get to the house and read the bottle and it says ' Redline V-Twin transmission oil with shockproof' , no viscosity numbers anywhere on it  :scratch:

I've always been a fan of Redline products in the automotive field, but wondering how this particular bottle going to effect a 100K tranny, thats cantankerous to begin with.

I'm not looking for advise on oils per se, just on this particular type of Redline.

What say thee Earl ?   

I cant believe I did this..... forgive me in advance  :embarrassed:
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Jaycee1964

Is there a manufacures part # on the bottle?
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

War Horse

FSG

It's the same as their Heavy ShockProof Gear Oil just a different label and bottle that was supposed to remove/avoid any confusion as to what it was for. 

I've used Heavy ShockProof and found it to be good, currently I'm using their Lightweight ShockProof in my HD's as well as in the 4 Speed Manual Transmission of my '90 Nissan Sunny Truck.

War Horse

Thanks thats good to know !  Anyway, I took a picture of the bottle, it may also help others to ID.

Ed Y

Redline advertises that oil as the same fluid as our unique Heavy ShockProof® Gear Oil which, I think, is 75W250 (it's pink). I've been using the Redline Heavy Shockproof for years with no problems at all.

04 SE Deuce

January 22, 2013, 04:12:34 PM #7 Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:15:44 PM by 04 SE DEUCE
FSG is correct that it is the same product as Heavy Shockproof gear oil,  just different label/bottle.  Red line will tell you that, quote from Redline page, "Same fluid as our unique Heavy ShockProof® Gear Oil" found here: http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=119&pcid=13

Quote from Heavy shockproof gear oil page,  "Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90" found here:  http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=44&pcid=8

This is the only weight of gear oil that Red line recommends for the Harley trans.  I asked a few years back about the weight of the Heavy shockproof and was told that it is like a semi-jell and the viscosity couldn't be rated the same as typical gear oil.  I do notice/think it is on the heavy side in cold weather but no issues.  Rick

Jaycee1964

That is the same pepto bismol i've been using in my SE 6 speed.  I like it.  My wifes heritage was "whining" at about 17,000 miles in 4th gear.  Changed to this and it has been very quiet and it now over 30K miles.  Stuff last a long time too.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

Deye76

Been using it since 2000, suggested in the instructions that came with my Baker 6spd od.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

mfalba

Been using it in my 2002 RK and my 2006 Heritage, as a matter of fact it's all I use.  I like it, wouldn't use anything else.

Old Crow

Yeah, but when it leaks through the output seal on my FLT into the enclosed drive chain area, is it going to do as good a job lubing my chain as the 75-140 I run in there now?  :fish:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

splitting_lanes

I use heavy shockproof in my transmission and it works great.  Quiets it down, and makes shifting real smooth.

The shock absorbing component in the oil makes it incompatible with clutches, FWIW

War Horse

Thanks everyone, at least now I know whats in the bottle, it just threw me for a loop when I read the label and I dont ever remember it being discussed in a oil thread, tho I remember everything being in there from Crisco to oil rag squeezins.   :wink:

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Horse, been using it in the Evo tranny for years, it does work and it is good. It is reckonned that you only need to change it every 15,000 miles.
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

War Horse

Yep, I'm gonna use it, this tranny is so finicky that I'll know in a days ride weather she likes it or not.  :pop:

Bruno, 15K miles ?  :dgust: ya sure ya didnt mean Km's  :scratch:

Ancient

Since I've been using it my bald spot and prostate have both shrunk.  :smile:

Seriously though, it seems to be a good product. My 2011 touring manual says 20K for tranny changes. I think I'll go at least that far on it and not worry about it.
Greg

Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

Quote from: War Horse on January 23, 2013, 11:18:22 AM
Yep, I'm gonna use it, this tranny is so finicky that I'll know in a days ride weather she likes it or not.  :pop:

Bruno, 15K miles ?  :dgust: ya sure ya didnt mean Km's  :scratch:

Yup, thats what i was told. I might just change it at 10,000 tho!!
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

War Horse

Quote from: Ancient on January 23, 2013, 11:34:33 AM
Since I've been using it my bald spot and prostate have both shrunk.  :smile:

Prostate's just fine, but that pesky bald spot  :embarrassed: ........ well, lets just say, I'll have 8oz left over  :wink:

Alien

I used to go through a speed sensor every now and then. Haven't had to replace one since the switch to heavy shockproof. In cold weather it takes a little while to warm up.

War Horse

Yeah its all good, no need to sell me on Redline products, we used it at M-B and I ran the ATF in a Ford Ranger 5 speed that was run dry and had a awful bearing whine, for 5 years after with the whine actually getting better in time.

I just needed to know what was in this (unmarked viscosity) bottle.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Old Crow on January 23, 2013, 03:00:03 AM
Yeah, but when it leaks through the output seal on my FLT into the enclosed drive chain area, is it going to do as good a job lubing my chain as the 75-140 I run in there now?  :fish:

I'd bet it would make good chain lube by the way it sticks to a funnel...enclosed or not.   

War Horse,  we talked about the label change here on HTT a few years back when it happened (gotta give this group more credit).   Never miss a reason for an oil thread then or now.   Rick

War Horse

" War Horse,  we talked about the label change here on HTT a few years back when it happened (gotta give this group more credit).   Never miss a reason for an oil thread then or now.   Rick "

I musta missed it  :embarrassed: , I was getting a bit tired of the train wreck oil threads for a bit..... either that or I'm just gettin old and senile.  :scratch:

ramcr913

Aw, c'mon, I thought we all agreed Amsoil was the best. Or maybe it was Mobil 1. Now I gotta run out and buy the red kind...

IndyHarley

I used it for five years in my 08 Ultra, never a problem. I don't have the '08 anymore is why I only used it for 5 years.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander