April 27, 2024, 01:29:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

out with the L5 , in with the C grind

Started by 79FLH, March 13, 2013, 08:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79FLH

Finally got a little time to get that C grind installed....  I used a .050" thrust washer & It feels a little tight...  I didn't pull the lifter blocks to get a feeler gauge in there, But I used a micrometer on the old & the new cams...  L5 had an .080" washer,   & my math tells me I should use a .045" but I can only find these washers down to .050" so that's what I used.... :scratch:  I know that I should be gettin that lifter block off of there & just get the answer, But ......  instead I'm  on the HTT board :fish:
Ride it like ya stole it !!

Mother

155hp/149tq Hyperformance iron cylinder 131. JW Performance heads

76shuvlinoff

I may be all wet but with the gasket in place can't you take a depth mic and measure from the outer edge of the cone thru points cover opening to the cam and move the cam in an out by pulling on a bolt in the center of it? Wouldn't the difference be your clearance?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

Hmmmm. Was thinking C.  What size motor are you using it in. 
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

Hillside Motorcycle

Boy, that C has a 61* closing.............which is even later than an S&S .640..........and those want 11.5 or more to expose their true effectiveness.
S&S sets those at 10.8, even in their generic crate engines.
Just sayin'.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

79FLH

OK , 76.  That's what I ended up doin..  I had .008" of end play which is in spec. Book says .005"-.016" ...   & it could just me over analyzing, but it feels tight when I turn her over with the kicker.. Back them cover screws off 1/4 turn & it feels right ??
  Mother,  L5 is a Great producer of Horse Power, Lots of fun rippin around in town, But for me, too much for an everyday cruiser.
   Rudy/John,  93"  I'm hoping to get a wider power band, & maybe tame her down a little...
   Scott,  Thanks..  Are you talking about timing ?  I'm not there yet, still have the pushrods on the bench..

76shuvlinoff

QuoteOK , 76.  That's what I ended up doin..

Actually I was kinda asking because that's how I did mine.  :embarrassed:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

With the new .60 over I've got 98" but I won't be tearing up the streets. I'd prefer my power on the highway.
John

shovelbill

gasket the same....torque spec/gasket crush.........i'd take out the lifter block to check.........i can't see how you're gonna be happy with that C grind......at all.

-what's your mechanical CR?   CC'd?
-how is your bike geared.....primary/secondary?
-what valve springs do you have? seat pressure?
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 79FLH on March 14, 2013, 06:44:31 AM
   OK , 76.  That's what I ended up doin..  I had .008" of end play which is in spec. Book says .005"-.016" ...   & it could just me over analyzing, but it feels tight when I turn her over with the kicker.. Back them cover screws off 1/4 turn & it feels right ??
  Mother,  L5 is a Great producer of Horse Power, Lots of fun rippin around in town, But for me, too much for an everyday cruiser.
   Rudy/John,  93"  I'm hoping to get a wider power band, & maybe tame her down a little...
   Scott,  Thanks..  Are you talking about timing ?  I'm not there yet, still have the pushrods on the bench..
No, the cam timing, it needs a pile-o-compression.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Ajayrk

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 13, 2013, 02:54:13 PM
I may be all wet but with the gasket in place can't you take a depth mic and measure from the outer edge of the cone thru points cover opening to the cam and move the cam in an out by pulling on a bolt in the center of it? Wouldn't the difference be your clearance?

That is basically how I do mine.  I made a gage that I bolt onto the cover and check clerance before disassembly.  I then measure the cams and pick a shim.  After assembly I use my gage for a final check.

I also have a gage that check backlash.  I also measure over pins and compare cam gears.
AJ

79FLH

Scott, I'm nowhere near 11.5 ,  I'm around 10:1.....  Am I wasting my time with this C grind ??
   Shovelbill, mechanical CR ??  CC'D ???  Not sure what you mean,  I don't do this for a livin, just wrenchin in my garage...  Heads are S&S, set up for that L5.  Gearing...  motor 23, tranny 24,  wheel 46, but I'm going to 48..   Just tryin to tame it down a bit for a more ridable ride...
  What Cam are you runnin Rudy/John...  I'm .030" over on my 93"  & craving something that like the highway..
   Thanks Ajayrk 

Ohio HD

Scott's right about the compression, that C grind needs at least 11:1 in my opinion.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79FLH

That is something I hadn't really put much thought too...   I was thinking that if the mill was runnin strong with the L5 then I would have no problem going to a cam that looks much tamer...   I got the C grind for dirt cheap, & am not opposed to using a different cam.....   Any suggestions ??

76shuvlinoff

March 15, 2013, 09:35:44 AM #14 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 09:47:05 AM by 76shuvlinoff
I just pulled an L3S out of my 93 to install an Andrews 7. I think we might be looking for the same thing, more usable power across the board. I too was looking at the C and got the same reaction you are. I am not sure how the L5 and the 7 compare. If they were in stock I would have tried the L51.

Unfortunately my bike is still on the lift, no test rides yet.

edit:  Another thing I was fighting with was the L31 had me showing 212 psi cyl pressure hot, about 205 cold. Hell on starters. I do not want to install comp releases and lose my dual plugs. The 7 grind shows 185psi cold. I was almost hoping for more of a pressure drop but we'll see how she starts and runs.

- Ernest Hemingway

79FLH

Yep 76, I think we might be chasin after the same thing...  I  didn't check ccylinder psi before I got into her this winter, but I was at 210 cold at the beginning of last summer...  Like you said, Hell on that starter..
    I'll keep an eye out for your review of that Andrews 7,  & till then , sounds like I need to do a little more research, or get that L5 back in there....
   Have a great weekend & thanks to all for the input !!

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 79FLH on March 15, 2013, 06:44:44 AM
  Scott, I'm nowhere near 11.5 ,  I'm around 10:1.....  Am I wasting my time with this C grind ??
   Shovelbill, mechanical CR ??  CC'D ???  Not sure what you mean,  I don't do this for a livin, just wrenchin in my garage...  Heads are S&S, set up for that L5.  Gearing...  motor 23, tranny 24,  wheel 46, but I'm going to 48..   Just tryin to tame it down a bit for a more ridable ride...
  What Cam are you runnin Rudy/John...  I'm .030" over on my 93"  & craving something that like the highway..
   Thanks Ajayrk

The closing numbers on a Crane 288, or a V-Thunder 4020 would be more applicable at the 10.0 ratio, for example.
Scott
Scott

Ohio HD

Andrews B2 or #7 would be a couple I'd use at 10.1. B2 if you like lower power, #7 if you want to run her harder. If you have less than 10.1, then the B2 would be better anyway.

bob_e95482

I've run a C grind twice in my 84" with 8 1/2:1 CR. I like the way it keeps pulling all the way to the rev limiter. The valves have to be sunken into the seats.
I have since switched to Velva Touch Evo cam Evo oiling, and a V Thunder 3030 Evo cam, with Evo roller rockers. The lift is more, at .530 vs .525, but the duration is less. I also switched to a CV and VOES at the same time, and I'm disappointed at the lack of top end. I still have to fatten up the main, from a 180 to a 190 or 200.

billbuilds

79, I may have a gently used V-Thunder 4020 for L77-84 pretty soon. Thinking that it prolly needs more compression than the 8.5:1 that I'm at.  Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

prodrag1320

make sure valve to valve @ TDC is checked with the C cam,its got alot of TDC lift

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: prodrag1320 on March 16, 2013, 06:41:07 AM
make sure valve to valve @ TDC is checked with the C cam,its got alot of TDC lift

............you ain't kidding there..... :up:
Scott

Ajayrk

I also switched to a CV and VOES

Plus 1 on the VOES
AJ

HotRodShovel

I have an L3S but that was in when the motor was a stock 80" and it worked great.  Added some balls to it.  But with the new build I need a better cam.  Looked at Andrews B is good for stock, C is said to be as good as L51 for larger motors. But the L3S in the big bore/stroke is robbing me of power. I'm more interested in low end,4, 5, 6  gear.  Highway rather than street.  If I could get a cam that did what the L3S did for an 80"  in my 98" I'd be very happy.
John

Ohio HD

I used to use the old Andrews #6 in motors up to 98", they always ran great all across the RPM range. The Andrews #7 is an updated #6, and will give a little more low end to the motor.