April 27, 2024, 06:22:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2004 softail with 21 inch front wheel, wondering about going to 16 inch

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, March 19, 2013, 07:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I have a 2004 softail standard, It has the 21 inch spoked wheel,

I was wondering what the difference is between a fat boy and mine? Is it the fork length? If it is what is the difference?

If there is a difference I would assume then I would just need to replace the forks?

I like the look of a fatter tire in the front and was wondering. I have purchased some sheet metal (fat boy fenders, front and rear) cheap so allready looking to change the rear for more metal over the rear wheel.

Any one know?
Member since 2004

88b

I've seen several Deuces done they look and handle better . There was a thread on this subject a while back

hd06myway

Back in the 90's it was popular to replace the 21" fr. tire with a 16", I never did, I like the looks of the 21", and I have no problem with it tracking or handling wise.. but the problem is, a Fatboy front end or a Heritage is not a wideglide front fork, like the FXST's... and because of that, I would not recommend going to the 16" UNLESS you also change out the forks...because of the weight difference, those saying otherwise are only fooling you... it won't handle like it should, or HD would have engineered models with wideglide front forks and 16" wheels... they did not.

Wicked

FX softails have a built in 3deg rake in the trees and longer tubes than a FL softail. It's still very common to change a 21" to a 16". Some even add the large h'lite, shrouds, and extended cow bells for the FL look. Handling is not ill affected at all...the larger tire handles better on our poor roads anyhow...

PC_Hater

It depends on what you are trying to achieve.
"Usually" replacing a 21" wheel with a 16" wheel would need longer forks for a similar feel.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/advchoppercalc.html
will let you play around with the options.

1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

FSG

Quote...   and longer tubes than a FL softail.

1-5/8" longer   

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I do not have the stock forks, I had the dealer back in 05 put the HD triple tree with the skull machined into it and new forks. (bling) So I believe they are equal to a wide glide and or a fat boy. I am guessing but 39 mm..I would have to go out in the cold and open my shed but it just dumped 8 inches of snow....F'it wait till it melts......

So i believe if I purchase 1 5/8 inch longer forks (thanks FSG) or those for a fat boy I should be all set.

The look would be the same as the FAT BOB....

Thanks...
Member since 2004

JBarrettB

CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

Ohio HD

FSG

I'm going from my notes, but I have both legs down in the garage so I'll measure to confirm later today.

Ohio HD

You're probably right FSG, just had 2" stuck in my head for some reason.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Quote from: JBarrettB on March 19, 2013, 02:17:01 PM
Like this?

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,60263.0.html

JB

Cool thanks

if and when I do this, I have acess to a machine shop so making any spacers or adapter will be a piece of cake......Polished Stainless if I need em........

My main concern was the fork length difference.
I am sure the fork diameter (tripple tree) is the same as a fat boy with out the outer dressings a fat boy has......

Maybe I can find a good used set for a '00 -'05 somewhere.....

Also it would be nice to find a source for a nice set of billit chrome wheels but not at $1200 a piece not to mention matching belt sproket and rotors....... :chop:

Again thanks for the info!!

Member since 2004

cpiccarr

[attach=1]Did the conversion on a 00 FXST. Simple spacing to center wheel, spacer for brake disk and 2 fender spacers. I bought a new axle . Due to spacing machined opposite side of threads needed to stick out further for washer and nut. It now recesses in lower leg deeper .

Molly

I've been down this road twice. On my '03 FXST I at first fitted just the 16" front wheel (with Avon Venom tyres). It handled better. I'm sure of it. Decided to buy a set of FL forks but this opened another can of worms. Once I got the brake rotor central in the caliper I had to machine new spacers. I then had to take the wheel to a builder and have the off-set changed as it was a noticeably out. Bit of a drama but worth it in the end. 

I've just bought an '02 FXST with much the same mods as I did to my old FXST. This time I'm sticking with the stock forks. Like it as it is (and I've an old FLH in the garage so might as well have some contrast).

Think that's enough pics....  :teeth:

No. Found some old ones.

:embarrassed:

Snuff™

Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Member since 2004

Molly

B&W pics taken back in the Isle of Man by a mate and keen amateur photographer. Currently very sick indeed. Pics remind me of him.