May 08, 2024, 02:28:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bagger wobble and the gizmos for sale

Started by Bakon, November 06, 2008, 07:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eglider05

November 09, 2008, 06:00:04 AM #25 Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 06:11:25 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: SHOStreetglide on November 08, 2008, 06:18:11 PM
The conversation is leaning towards why, I know why I want it.

What I am asking is what piece and why they picked it. I like replies like Rick's. He bought it for piece of mind.

I can't honestly say I did much research (none) when deciding which one to buy. I had been reading a lot about the Bagger Brace on another forum and went with it partly based on price ($289) and partly on reported ease of installation. In hind sight I think I made the right decision. This was a breeze to install after I straightened out my dog bone (it must be flat) and from my perspective was well thought out and designed. One of the things I like which I don't see on the other braces of this type is the way the frame rails are tied together. All the braces of this type have 2 pieces on the top of the dog bone which fit into the large holes. The longer piece is bolted to them on the bottom tying it all together. The bagger brace goes one important step further (IMHO) . The top pieces are not round like the others. They are a machined piece which not only fits down in the holes but was designed to fit tight against the frame rails. The way I see it this serves to tie the frame rails together much more solidly.

One other area where I think the BB is superior to the others of this type is the piece that attaches to the tranny. A couple of the braces of this type use very long bolts through long spacers welded to a flat plate to attach to the tranny. The BB uses a nicely machined frame which fits up snug around the oil pan with 4 short bolts and 2 long bolts. Do the other braces work well, I suppose they would and some are cheaper and some are more. I just happen to like the construction of this one as compared to the others.

Rick

Eglider05

Quote from: sandrooney on November 09, 2008, 03:32:05 AM
I have read where these gadgets cause vibration to be felt in the handlebars and floorboards.
SR

No added vibration whatsoever with the Bagger Brace on my bike.

Rick

madjack

Road debris, Thats just exactly the difference it made on my 02 ultra, in fact, the wife  was the first to say " it feels like it's a slot car in the twisties".  With said, if you have a welder or access to one, a couple pieces of scap iron, Couple of hiem jionts ( 1 lefthand thread, 1 right). About a hour of time, save yourself, a couple hundred bucks, an have the pride of biulding a part, that really makes a difference, on a FLHT frame. Could just save your bacon.  Gene

Bakon

Eglider- thanks. Just what I was looking for in info. Like the tie in to the frame idea. Little worried the ones which attach to the one side near the pivot point might affect handling by fact of the location. Then again I guess they dont as it is just side to side motion they eliminate.
wasting time

Admiral Akbar

" Road debris, That's just exactly the difference it made on my 02 ultra, in fact, the wife  was the first to say " it feels like it's a slot car in the twisties". "

Heck Not sure I'd want this. Most slotcars I had, the front stayed put but the ass end was all over the place..

Max

Bakon

wasting time

HarleyInNH

No one has mentioned the Glide-Pro yet.

I have one on my '03 FLHTI and I wouldn't take it off if you forced me to.
Sweeepers at 90+ and grinning the whole time with NO sway or wobble.

Yes, it's close to $400 (what isn't) BUT, unlike the Ride-Str8 and Tru-Track, the Glide-Pro does not LOCK the rear engine to the frame.(producing more vibration)

It is a replacement pivot shaft with re-machined ends, along with poly bushings that slip into the stock isolators. This virtually eliminates any and all of the lateral play that is associated with bagger wobble.

The engine can still move back and forth/up and down as designed, but the Glide-Pro doesn't let it shift side-to-side.

The entire unit (pivot shaft and 2 bushings) is completely comcealed when installed, take maybe an hour, hour and 1/2.

Put one in and you'll be very happy. AND, if you're not, Jake will COMPLETELY refund your money as well. Can't go wrong there!

Just my .02......
My pride is cheap, my Harley is not.

egc04

has anyone made their own ? would like to see some pictures if you have .
doesnt look that complicated to make one or copy the best design features from all of them into one I dont think most of them are copyright  protected anyway .
just like everything else you pay what the market bears and when more people make them the price drops to reasonable levels we can all afford.
I am surprised they havent picked up on this in China or taiwan and flooded the market with $100.00 copys already.
egc

WVULTRA

Don't think this new player has been mentioned:

http://www.throttleupindustries.com/

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288573

Group price till Nov. 15th, $175.00.

Also offers the plans to make your own!

:idea:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Snaps

Quote from: Eglider05 on November 09, 2008, 06:00:04 AM
This was a breeze to install after I straightened out my dog bone (it must be flat) and from my perspective was well thought out and designed.

Rick

How did you straighten out that dog bone cross member?

I was looking into the Bagger Brace too, but wasn't aware this was needed before install. I took a look at my bike after reading your post and it seems that flattening the cross member might be a pain.

Eglider05

November 10, 2008, 06:45:35 AM #36 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:47:13 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: Snaps on November 10, 2008, 06:38:56 AM
Quote from: Eglider05 on November 09, 2008, 06:00:04 AM
This was a breeze to install after I straightened out my dog bone (it must be flat) and from my perspective was well thought out and designed.

Rick

How did you straighten out that dog bone cross member?

I was looking into the Bagger Brace too, but wasn't aware this was needed before install. I took a look at my bike after reading your post and it seems that flattening the cross member might be a pain.

It really wasn't too bad. I used a pry bar and a very large screw driver. Once it was close I was able to get all the peices started and then it pretty much straightened itself out as it pulled together. It helped that the tie bar and the pieces on top are so beefy, they don't flex.

Rick

Snaps

Quote from: Eglider05 on November 10, 2008, 06:45:35 AM
It really wasn't too bad. I used a pry bar and a very large screw driver. Once it was close I was able to get all the peices started and then it pretty much straightened itself out as it pulled together. It helped that the tie bar and the pieces on top are so beefy, they don't flex.

Rick

Ok, thanks. I think I was confused (as usual). I thought you were talking about the dog bone shaped cross member on the bike itself that goes between the frame rails. This member has a lip on it and that is what I thought you were talking about straightening out so it was flat.

Now I'm thinking you're talking about the dog bone that comes included as a part of the Bagger Brace kit which fits inside the cross member on the bike. Is this right?

HarleyInNH

RoadDebris:

You said:  "Be careful of those swing arm 'glide pro products' - had two Friends and a well know bike builder in this area tell me that they are crap."

Would you please provide a little more info about your statement? I've had a Glide-Pro in my FLHTI for 6+mos now and have had no handling issues/problems AT ALL, whereas before I installed it it was "tank slapper city" at 80 in a corner (and yes, I DO ride it that fast whenerver possible).

I would really like to know WHO the well known bike builder is who has the negative opinion of it and WHY. Not concerned or worried, just curious.

Thanks!

My pride is cheap, my Harley is not.

gilb

I purchased the Tru-Track in 2003 and have moved it from my 02 Roadglide to my 04, then 06 and now 08 RG.  I used to drag the right side of it, but they made a change and provided me their new thinner version which I have not had anymore problem with.  I find it to make a great difference in everyday riding and I also pull a single wheel (In-line) trailer and it makes even more difference on that.  I picked Tru-Track because it was the only one out there at that time and I saw Will's demo in Laughlin that convinced me to buy it.

Eglider05

November 10, 2008, 09:10:57 AM #40 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:13:53 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: Snaps on November 10, 2008, 07:17:06 AM
Quote from: Eglider05 on November 10, 2008, 06:45:35 AM

Rick

Ok, thanks. I think I was confused (as usual). I thought you were talking about the dog bone shaped cross member on the bike itself that goes between the frame rails. This member has a lip on it and that is what I thought you were talking about straightening out so it was flat.

Now I'm thinking you're talking about the dog bone that comes included as a part of the Bagger Brace kit which fits inside the cross member on the bike. Is this right?

No, I'm talking about the support which goes between the frame rails. Part of the BB fits inside it and 2 pieces on top. The lips on the support are OK, but the support itself needs to be straight (side to side) like it came from the factory (with the lips).

Rick

Snaps

Quote from: Eglider05 on November 10, 2008, 09:10:57 AM
No, I'm talking about the support which goes between the frame rails. Part of the BB fits inside it and 2 pieces on top. The lips on the support are OK, but the support itself needs to be straight (side to side) like it came from the factory (with the lips).

Rick

Got it, thanks. I plan to order today.

Eglider05

November 10, 2008, 11:28:37 AM #42 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:34:52 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: Snaps on November 10, 2008, 09:42:13 AM
Quote from: Eglider05 on November 10, 2008, 09:10:57 AM

Rick

Got it, thanks. I plan to order today.

You won't regret it even if like me you weren't having any problems. Please report back and let us know how you like it. I've yet to hear of anyone who was unhappy they purchased one.

Rick

Eglider05

November 10, 2008, 03:00:43 PM #43 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 04:03:51 PM by Eglider05
Quote from: FLTRI on November 10, 2008, 12:19:44 PM
Gotta wonder if you have to straighten the crossmember AND the device hangs below that, what will the event feel like when the device hits the ground in a corner?

It's what I call scare tactics to buy something not needed.
As always,
JMHO, Bob

I don't know about the others but the Bagger Brace DOES NOT hang below either the cross member or the frame.

Two friends of mine have ridden my bike with the BB. Do you want to guess what their next purchase was?

Is it needed? In my case no, but neither are my Works shocks and fork springs but they all contribute to a better handling motorcycle. I'd give up the shocks before I would the Bagger Brace.

Rick

Bakon

Just showed the wife what I want for Christmas. Bagger Brace. Seems everyone likes it and the stories in here have me sold. That and my 90 mph turn I almost didn't make.
wasting time

hdpegscraper

FLTRI...., I like that picture, and the second one also. It is a great example of how NOT too ride: He is on the inside of the curve, has not shifted his weight on the bike. He is flat out fighting the bike, and even has the front wheel locked out of panic. This road looks to be Deals Gap, 318 curves in 11 miles (fun fun fun).  Now, no bolt-on will ever correct BAD riding. Some people will understand what you are trying to convey, and fix the root problem, or change riding habits. And others will waste money on band-aids out of fear.

Bakon

November 26, 2008, 05:56:28 AM #46 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:24:18 PM by SHOStreetglide
 I wanted to know if anyone has a lift they normally put though the cross member area and how the brace holds up to being lifted on? 

I know i can move the lift, but its a nice spot for draining the fluids when I do a service.
wasting time

cactuscruiser

So with all the different style braces available for FLHs, would any of you support using Sta-Bos in lieu of a brace?

crazy joe

Cant seem to find a good picture of it installed but it almost looks like it reinforces
the crossmember and can put a bike jack in that spot ...... but cant find a good picture

crazy joe

November 28, 2008, 01:47:20 PM #49 Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:47:53 PM by crazy joe

This is always a good subject there are people here who have put these "gizmo's" on
there bikes and have checked bearings, swingarm torque ext ext, and have said there
is a improvement. This BaggerBrace does not look like it has a clearance issue... just
hoping that the people that have put this product on will pipe in and tell us.
Here's a picture from there website.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]