May 08, 2024, 03:22:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bagger wobble and the gizmos for sale

Started by Bakon, November 06, 2008, 07:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bakon

November 06, 2008, 07:05:55 PM Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:37:25 PM by SHOStreetglide
I had a serious rear sway today. 90 mph on a two lane road, (yeah I know too fast), left hand sweeping turn. Guy behind me says "your rear tire was all over the place" and I could feel it. Felt like it was going to jump, then slid, then jump , then slide, all at the same time but sideways to the right. Tires are fine, 16k on rear mounts maybe 4k on a new front mount. Don't think anything wrong with the bike other than speed and pressure of turn didn't get along with the stock mounts. Felt like it was sidestepping. Old Ultra would do it on the interstate at 85 plus occasionally. This bike has always felt solid to 100 or more. 2006 Streetglide with Progressive 440's in the rear and Progressive front springs (Harley SE heavy oil). No new parts on the bike since May and first time the problem has popped up.

Anyways thinking the solution some have found is an aftermarket "tru track" device of some sort I want to know what you choose to run and why. Cost? magazine said it was good? buddy had one?

I did see a new type called Bagger Brace from Phoenix Customs in the November American Bagger. Anyone got this one?

wasting time

FLH124

November 06, 2008, 10:45:39 PM #1 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:12:30 AM by FLH124
Of what I read on all of them and in fairness most others work properly without affecting the ride or carrying any vibration to the frame.  The Bagger Brace I thought had an edge. Without to much exposure to the rear tire, and how it is manufactured, design, strength, appearance, price, and a buy back warranty.
http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/
my 2 cents

maineultraclassic

I'll be putting a Bagger Brace on my bike over the winter. To me, it looks like the best made one of the bunch..........and it's the cheapest.

Steve
2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

Neckball

Quote.......and it's the cheapest.

Have you seen the model Progressive has out now?

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/tourlink/index.html

You can buy it at Eastern Performance for $199.99 shipped.

http://www.easternperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2135

05 RK Classic, Black Cherry
IBA member #32738

Bakon

Maine- what's the cost and are you talking about the same one I am?

The progressive one looks nice too. I got their shocks and springs so maybe this is a good idea.
wasting time

Advntr

Here's my two cents

the gizmo needs to have some "give" like a motor mount, so i chose the alloy art gizmo as it has a urethane bushing in the MIDDLE of the transmission where the other mounts are already located...

does it work????  Yes, very nicely.

BTW I ride an 07 Ultra like it's a bmw

Bakon

FLH- that's the one I saw this month. I like the design too. How's it work for you? Any problems install/ with a lift, gound clearance? Thanks
wasting time

crazy joe

This is interesting never thought about the ''give''

From what  Advntr had to say in Post 5:
the gizmo needs to have some "give" like a motor mount, so i chose the alloy art gizmo as it has a urethane bushing in the MIDDLE of the transmission where the other mounts are already located...

Scramjet

I did buy a Tru-Track but did not install it as I have not had any wobble issues but...

The Tru-Track link is a lateral stabilizer (side to side).  The Alloy Art stabilizer is longitudinal (front to back).

It seems to me that side-to-side is the desired direction to be stabilized as the assumption is that the engine is twisting sidways in relation to the swingarm.

Does anyone else see it this way?

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

FLH124

November 07, 2008, 10:14:23 AM #9 Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 04:37:16 PM by FLH124
 Delivery is supposed to be in the next day or two.
But if you go to their linkhttp://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/
and look at the pictures. I have read all positive things from current users of the BB.
Main reasons I chose it is of a nice clean compact package. It does not look like it is lower than the cross member and this is important to me as well. Easy to adjust HD part replacement link on the left side and clear from tire debris.
$289 retail with a buy back warranty...just ask for Ron at Phoenix.
Steve

Lovetoride007

That is so funny, I just put one together like that progressive one , I saw the TWR one and liked it but didn't want to pay 375.00 for it so I welded an ear on the stock bracket and used a stock HD stabilizer link and made a bracket to bolt to the trans, On another note I ck ed my swingarm and found it to move side to side, so I removed it and measured everything , to my suprise My pivot axle measured .748 ,the ID of the trans case was .757 and the ID of the bearing were .755 , that 10 thousands moves an awful lot in the case, is there a spec for that?. I am going to make an oversized pivot axle to get a tighter Clarence. My Buddy's axle slides in and out with very little play, has anyone ever measured there clearance's. The bearings move side to side but not front to back, is there suppose to be side to side movement in bearings?
Thanks Mike

Flat Dog

With all due respect, I think Bob is just generally making a good point-that so many of us (I know I've done it once or twice) are willing to throw unnecessary money at a sometimes 'perceived' problem rather than looking for the simplest solution for the least amount of $...aka not always doing it the credit card biker way. ;)

Hope you find a solution to your wobble/tank slapper via one of those stabilizer deals-that would scare the crap outta me at 80 or 90!

crazy joe

Re: Bagger Wobble and Gizmos to Fix it
« Reply #12 on: Today at 11:23:08 AM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been thinking of the Bagger Brace but the Progressives one looks
good too all though it only bolts to half of the trany were the Bagger Brace
goes around  the bottom  trans and across the cross member

http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/tourlink/index.html

sandrooney

A friend mine bought the bagger brace for his RK and likes it. I have an 07 Ultra, a 95 RK, and did have an 05 Ultra, I never had wobble on any of them, and from the sounds of it hope I never do.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

madjack

Seems to me the progressive, is just a knock off of the ride str8, which I built one for less than $15.  Took about a hour to build , an hour to instal. Simple device, works as designed,solved all my issues.   Gene

RoadKingTrooper

Bought the Bagger Brace and installed it. Tightened up the rear on my 2000 RK. Not sure if all models or years get "loose". Sandrooney's 95 felt real tight stock compared to my 2000. As others have said before, alignment, tires and pressure need to be addressed before installing one of these stabilizers.
For the money, engineering fit and finish, the Bagger Brace worked for me.
Scot

JK

The wobble - some do, some don't, some will, some won't.  If indeed the wobble is caused by some worn component or out of spec adjustment as Bob suggests, wouldn't the devise of choice limit, if not eliminate, the chance of a wobble due to those possibilities? 

I think of it as insurance against the wobble, for whatever the reason it exists.  When I did a frame-up resto on my T I replaced every bearing and bushing on it (new H-D front mount didn't make it 4K before deteriorating, BTW), aligned it properly, used top notch suspension components but still added a devise......just in case.  High speed high-sides are for Moto-GP highlight reels!  JK

Advntr

Like Mr Rogers lets pretend you have a new 07 or 08 FLHT bike at the moment. Go RIDE the bike like a bmw & stick it in some high speed sweepers above 80 mph and I bet it wobbles.  The real wobble has nothing to with tires, shocks etc.  It's there at no extra charge from the moco. If your bike ain't wobbling you have not ridden it hard enough.

There are other wobbles caused by worn parts/bad tires that the aftermarket stabilizers can't band aid or fix.  That is why there is some confusion here.  Now in March when i take delivery on the 09 Ultra we will see what wobble the new chassis has at no extra charge from the moco.

JK

I think tires, shocks, bushings etc can induce the wobble, which essensionally starts the engine/trans/swingarm 'racking' from side to side.  Will ?? (can't remember his last name), the fellow that designed the True-Track had a devise mounted to an FL frame for display and demonstration that quite clearly showed how much side to side movement the E/T/S had when unrestrained.  It was a real eye-opener!  My feeling is that once the chassis is upset for whetever reason, and you have G forces and 1000+ pounds of bike and rider that starts the racking process - hold on tight!

Ever see a trailer with negative tongue weight whipping from side to side?  It can't recover until negative forces are applied to stop it (hitting the brakes to shift the weight).  Seems similar to me.

This topic always brings pro/con arguments.  We are free to make our own decisions.  Mine was to add the unit.  Yours might be not to.  My 2¢ - JK

In The Wind

I installed a glide pro earlier this summer & it made a noticeable improvement in the handling & feel of my bike.

Eglider05

First, let me say I wasn't having any wobble or any other problem when I installed the Bagger Brace 5K ago. I did it for kicks after an accident (my fault) because I was hearing so much positive feedback on it. I've gone into it at length on other forums to the point I'm tired of talking about it but I will say this, for me it's probably the best money ($289) I've spent on my bike. It takes the curves like it's on rails and is much more stable at freeway speeds. I personally wouldn't be without it.

Rick

Gunney8

With all due respect to FLTRI "Bob", I have the True Trak on my 07 EGC and don't see how it reduces ground clearance. The darned thing (the arm) just bolts inside the frame brace and is held on by a cover that slips over the tranny case,  maybe 1/32 of an inch. I've ... ahhh.. tested by True Track both in the Black Hills, Rocky Mountains twisties and super slab sweepers, both solo and two up... absolutely took the "wiggle" out that I used to feel at high speed cornering. I only experience the "wobble" once on way to Sturgis and that was enuff for me. Got the TT and have been more than pleased.... Anyone that has the True Trak experienced any issues/problems?? I, at least haven't...

road debris

O5 ROAD KING.  My wobble was so bad that I had some slight rear tire damage. I took it to the HD steallership and the told me they could not find any thing wrong!  I also have Progressive 440's in the rear and Progressive front springs and a small amount of Harley SE heavy oil installed.  I love the stiffer front end feel, would never go back to that spongy stock ride.  My rear Progressive only lasted 8k miles, I hit a pothole at 75mph that cracked my sternum.  So it may have been my fault, but have those checked. Progressive will do it free.  I had the bikes alignment checked and the tire changed and I put the ride-str8 device on - the difference is unbelievable, I use to be able to induce a wobble every time on the same turn on this one uphill 80mph mile turn - over 80mph and too hard on the turn and it would start a slow tank slapper but not any more and no ground clearance problems with the ride-str8.  Becareful of those swing arm 'glide pro products' - had two Friends and a well know bike builder in this area tell me that they are crap. I have 2 other bike [wideglide and sportster] and would only ride my Road King to work on a nice straight freeway now I love my bike again.  I cannot make it wobble.  Life is good again.    

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Scramjet on November 07, 2008, 10:05:41 AM

I did buy a Tru-Track but did not install it as I have not had any wobble issues but...

The Tru-Track link is a lateral stabilizer (side to side).  The Alloy Art stabilizer is longitudinal (front to back).

It seems to me that side-to-side is the desired direction to be stabilized as the assumption is that the engine is twisting sidways in relation to the swingarm.

Does anyone else see it this way?

B

Nope,,

While the AA may control front to back the tiangular shape will also help side to side.. So AA also has the side to side stabilization..

Max

sandrooney

I have read where these gadgets cause vibration to be felt in the handlebars and floorboards.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .