May 09, 2024, 09:08:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lets talk suspension upgrades for a bagger

Started by No Cents, October 27, 2013, 08:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1931jamesw

Here are the Bitubo shocks. These are really nice because they are so adjustable there are no disappointments. You can adjust stifness, ride height, compression and rebound. You can dial in the perfect ride. If you want a set, pm me, I'll set you up.[attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

m1marty

Just got done with a buddy/customers scoot. Progressive 944s in back and the racetech kit in front. Heavy springs all 4 holes drilled out and spectro 20w. Bike handles unbelievably better than stock. 2013 RG.
OFFO

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: m1marty on October 28, 2013, 08:19:14 PM
Just got done with a buddy/customers scoot. Progressive 944s in back and the racetech kit in front. Heavy springs all 4 holes drilled out and spectro 20w. Bike handles unbelievably better than stock. 2013 RG.

Curious as to what set-up you used along with the 4 holes in the emulators and your riding impression?  Oil level,  emulator spring 64 or 40 lb/in.,  and emulator spring preload/#of turns.  Also what fork spring rate?   

Been trying to encourage guys to try the 4 hole mod. and give honest feedback.  Rick

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

frankieb

[/quote]

What was the setup on the racetech,, Bike type, springs, emulator setup?   Mono tubes do what better?  Absorb bumps?  Bottom out less?

What's an Ohlin 6?   

Max
[/quote]

The emulators where set up by them when I ordered them, they where set to the weights I gave them. The monotubes have done it all better for me, don't dive, don't pogo like a stock spring set, absorbs bumps better, and just an all around better ride to me. This is on a road glide. Ohlin 6's, I think that is Howard's destination, are the remote reservoirs version. 

No Cents

How are you guys liking the CVO HD premium adjustable shocks?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

HighLiner

Quote from: No Cents on October 29, 2013, 05:53:04 AM
How are you guys liking the CVO HD premium adjustable shocks?

Tried them, they were a slight improvement but ended up with Ohlins.

DOM

Howard at Motorcycle Metal is a reseller/dealer of Ohlins and JRI.  He makes up his own names for the products which are different than the real part numbers and models from the MFG.  He know what he is doing and will hold the hand of someone who knows nothing about suspension.  It appears that he has some decent pricing available.  There are of course other dealers who sell these products.  I know Ohlins and JRI are both great.  I have the JRI and love them.  They are very well made, lots of billet parts, almost too nice to put under the saddlebags.   :teeth:

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: frankieb on October 29, 2013, 02:13:50 AM

What was the setup on the racetech,, Bike type, springs, emulator setup?   Mono tubes do what better?  Absorb bumps?  Bottom out less?

What's an Ohlin 6?   

Max
[/quote]

The emulators where set up by them when I ordered them, they where set to the weights I gave them. The monotubes have done it all better for me, don't dive, don't pogo like a stock spring set, absorbs bumps better, and just an all around better ride to me. This is on a road glide. Ohlin 6's, I think that is Howard's destination, are the remote reservoirs version.
[/quote]

I believe RT only sends the emulators out with 2 holes in the valve disc,  IMO drilling the other 2 holes through making 4 as mentioned in their tuning guide makes a nice improvement.  I think most people shelve the emulators before they fully explore the tuning parameters.   Rick

Max,  I'm sure you have noticed that Howard makes up his own combos/numbers that don't exist at Ohlins USA.

No Cents

October 29, 2013, 06:21:38 PM #34 Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:33:01 AM by No Cents
James...those Bitubo's are a thing of beauty...for sure!
:up: Thanks for the picture.

TorQuePimp

Brian ?  I thought his name was James....or is that a pet name ?

1931jamesw

Im James, dont know Brian. I thought I was the guy that recommended no O2 bungs in the pipe also but maybe I missed something there too? I am the anti-O2 sensor guy as dubbed by someone on another forum. That is a long thread and I probably missed more than 1 thing. Sometimes I don't get everything I read until I read it 4-5 times! LOL Im here to help and be helped, carry on as usual!  :smiled:

bxbutch

I have the Works duel rate steel trackers on my 2011 rk & their duel rate front spings set .Took a little time to set shocks where I needed them but the bike handles great & rides real smooth.Call Works direct there tech service is great & they will set you up & help you with any issues Butch 

hotbo

i had a nice conversation with Howard motorcycle machine man and he can blow it out his ass  :emoGroan:

to Arrogant for me   :idunno:

CVO shocks for the money help.

Travis  :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

ThumperDeuce

I tried to buy some wheels from him once.  He informed me he only deals with high performance motorcycles.   
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

1Canuck

I got the JRI 13B from Howard at motorcycle metal for the SG because the ride height is about 11 1/2" with two up compared to stock 12"
I had no problem with Howard at all, but I did sense that he will size you up in the first few minutes and give back what he gets. If you ask he will give an answer and make sure you understood, but you cannot tell him his business, that is where he gets the arrogant designation. and the discount was great off list
Take my advice "do whatever you want"
2010 SG

No Cents

my bad...I don't know why I said Brian.  :bf:
I'm sorry James   :slap:

Eglider05

Quote from: hotbo on October 29, 2013, 09:18:28 PM
i had a nice conversation with Howard motorcycle machine man and he can blow it out his ass  :emoGroan:

to Arrogant for me   :idunno:

Yep, this guy has a rep for being arrogant. It's really too bad for him because there are many who would like to deal with someone with his knowledge but are put off by his attitude.

Rick

hotbo

Quote from: 1Canuck on October 30, 2013, 02:21:32 AM
I got the JRI 13B from Howard at motorcycle metal for the SG because the ride height is about 11 1/2" with two up compared to stock 12"
I had no problem with Howard at all, but I did sense that he will size you up in the first few minutes and give back what he gets. If you ask he will give an answer and make sure you understood, but you cannot tell him his business, that is where he gets the arrogant designation. and the discount was great off list

i in now way told him his business.i merely called about shocks and got a schooling and learned he was a total arrogant prick and i do not spend my money with people like that!!!

i own my own buisness and if i acted like that i would be out of buisness!!

03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

1931jamesw

I had a similar experience with MM. Not exactly like some have posted here but when I set out to find the best suspension products available, MM was definitely someone I considered worthwhile to talk to. Howard is very knowledgeable but he is cut from a different cloth than most guys I usually deal with on a continual basis. All of that aside, he did tell me the AK-20's are in his opinion the best thing available for front suspension. He also explained that Penske and he were working to develop a similar cartridge but he didn't expect it to be any better than the AK-20's until Harley redesigned their triple trees with a pinch bolt on the top tree. He explained that until HD did what they did on the new touring bikes by adding the pinch bolt on the top tree that there would be nothing better than the AK-20 kits. This conversation took place before the new 2014's had been unveiled with the pinch bolt on the top tree. I can tell you from the research I have done, a lot of the CVO guys have been doing a lot of suspension upgrades and many have tried a lot of different things before settling on the AK-20's and the Bitubos. The AK-20's are also what a lot of the Goldwing guys do. We do run antiquated suspensions both front and rear and from my understanding, the front end suspension design has not changed at all until 2014 since 1988 and the design changes were minimal since the 1960's. The cartridges are a bit pricey but they are made in the USA with high quality components and craftsmanship. That was worth something to me. The rep I use from Traxxion is great to deal with also. He extended me the opportunity to run a sale on the products for this particular forum.

1931jamesw

BTW, I run the AK-20's up front which require a total rebuild of the forks and a minor modification to the tubes to remove the antiquated damper rod and calving system. I opted to replace both fork caps with the new caps from the AK-20 kit that has a knob on each fork tube cap. Each knob has 3 full turns of adjustability. One knob adjusts compression and one knob adjusts compression and you can adjust these on the fly. A small adjustment makes a noticeable difference in ride response and quality. It's has morphed my 2012 RGC into a completely different bike on a whole new level of performance. Doing suspension upgrades and brake upgrades are not as fun to talk about on the bar stool when everyone is breaking out their dyno sheets but from a riding stand point, it is very worthwhile IMO. The quality level of the bike seems to increase substantially. The bike has a tighter, fresher feel and handles and rides much better than words can describe, really. Posting about it really does no justice to the upgrade.

DOM

I bought the CCE triple tree.  It is going to be installed soon.  I have monotubes and am not impressed.  Given the choice between stock and monotubes, of course I would take the monotubes.  I did buy the JRIs from Howard.  I agree he is peculiar.  The shocks are great and makes the front end of the bike feel weak by comparison.  I talked to Traxxion about the CCE and their product and they said, no problem, great upgrade.  Howard claims to have a triple tree in development for the the older bikes which will accept the 49mm forks.  My guess is that this will be VERY expensive (i.e. more that I can afford).  The two problems I have are 1. what is likely to be the total cost of this product and 2. Howard has been working on this for like 3 years according to posts in other forums I have read. 

So on the cost, I figure he will have to sell the triple trees for what other companies sell theirs for, maybe around 700-900, then you will need two HD 2014 forks at $330 each from a discount dealer, then you will need the upgraded guts to the fork which would likely be 250 for RACETECH or 1000ish for someone's cartridges.

On the time issue, if you look at CCEs site, there are a number of PNs for their triple tree product.  So, if Howard is to release a quality well designed product, he will need to take that into consideration.  In reality, there may only be two or three real differences in the trees themselves, I think the rest of the differences on CCE end had to do with the length of the fork tube he is providing. 

So, until there is an actual product out there the best you can do from what I have read is 1. Quality rear shocks JRI Ohlin Bitubo Werks, 2. replace biscuits for the rear suspension, 3. check engine alignment 4. CCE triple trees, 5. new guts for the front forks Ohlins when they become available, Traxxion, Racetech, Ricor.

Without going crazy, that is probably the best you can do for these things at this point.

DOM

For some reason, I had missed that the Traxxion had adjustments for their front forks!  That is great.  If I come up with some extra $$$s they are on my list!

1931jamesw

Yes, the Traxxion do have adjustments for the front that changes the valving which is everything in the way the suspension performs. It is not something to overlook an the adjustments make a huge difference in the way they function. Without the adjustment, they would not be everything I'm talking them up to be.

DOM

I know of no other externally adjustable setup for touring bikes.  That is a big plus.  As we all know, taking the fork tubes out to make an adjustment to any of these other systems is not all that fun.  The JRI shocks I have need adjustments for sure.  It is nice to be able to go to the back of the bike and make them quickly.  It would be great to have that on the front.  I will be saving the pennies for this as a future project.