April 27, 2024, 03:38:22 AM

News:

"The topic is Nitrous"

Started by gabbyduffy, January 07, 2014, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabbyduffy

"The topic is nitrous" let's discuss it.................
                Should nitrous  be run in a particular motor combination (high comp./low comp.) or does it really matter.
                I've been watching the show on discovery called "street outlaws" or something like that about street racing cars, on the show a couple of fellows hooked up nitrous to a riding lawn mower and it peeked my interest.
                All the cars on the show are running nitrous, how hard is it to find? and what's the down side to running it -verses- the up side.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

gabbyduffy

Sorry..... Just realized I posted this topic in the wrong section. Could a moderator be kind enough to move it. Thanks.
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

BVHOG

Nitrous, less compression, colder plug, less ignition timing, low overlap cam. And at all costs, avoid a lean condition.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

strokerjlk

How long will a bottle of nitrous last? A.  That depends on the level of power being produced. The formula for calculating your nitrous usage is: 0.8 lbs N2O X 10 seconds = 100 horsepower. I.E. If your system is jetted for 100 horsepower it will use 0.8 lbs of nitrous for every 10 seconds of usage.
   Q.   How much does it cost to get nitrous refills? A.  The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.
NX ...Nitrous Express
has a very nice Q&A section
if you dont have a contact for re-filling ,and you plan to use a lot. a filling station might be an option.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/customer-service-faqs.html
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

Merc63

In my opinion, nitrous is for rice rocket cheaters.  All show no go.

Anyone can throw a bottle on and go fast. 
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Barrett

I have a Nitrous Express dry system on my bike.. I didn't buy it for my Harley but I already had it so I'm using it. It's only a 40 shot jetted down to 30 right now but it is a nice kick in the butt.. 

panic

Several safeties must kill the nitrous:
1. clutch release
2. brake light switch
3. IAC
Never operate at low RPM.
Most effective in higher gears where air resistance is significant, and loss of traction less likely.

WideWildGlide

Quote from: panic on January 07, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
1. clutch release
2. brake light switch
3. IAC
Most effective in higher gears where air resistance is significant, and loss of traction less likely.
WOT switch can handle that inless your using air shifter then you will need a kill box to go will the air shifter

HD/Wrench

It works fine and it can be run on 100% stock engines. You have to keep power levels much lower though. a smaller hit is used. Amount of power will vary after the first hit most times on the small tanks. As the bottle is used the change in matter state will cool the bottle. and it has to equalize internal PSI. You see this on most liquid gas tanks, C02, small propane etc.

I run it on my own truck and hit for two stages.  You can use it on just about any internal combustion engine.  I have a customer that has a 30 shot on a 1200 sporty. It is a running mother.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

panic

Because that switch will never fail, right?
Ever heard the phrase "fail safe"?
No, it's not just a movie title.

strokerjlk

Quote from: WideWildGlide on January 07, 2014, 11:36:45 PM

1. clutch release
2. brake light switch
3. IAC
WOT switch can handle that inless your using air shifter then you will need a kill box to go will the air shifter
You need to kill the ignition for the air shifter even without nitrous.
the only guys killing the spray to shift are guys running big jets.(150hp)and not very many of them actually. (the ones that have sheet metal exhaust)
some guys run a progressive two stage ,that they back down the spray a little for the shift. but then again most of them are running autoshift. varies a little from index/ bracket racers to heads up racers.
but for a small shot of 20-40 hp you  just kill the ignition for the shift. you dont want to run up against the rev limiter though,if you miss the shift light .
so you want a higher rev limiter than the shift light naturally. it,s pretty easy to over rev the shift light when the adrenaline is pumping .
Panic
Can you explain why the IAC safety ?
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Barrett

My horn is my nitrous button and I don't spray while shifting(I do speed shift tho) And my limiter is at 6400..About the same R's my other bikes came to life  :embarrassed: 

WideWildGlide

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 09, 2014, 10:49:00 PM
Quote from: WideWildGlide on January 07, 2014, 11:36:45 PM

1. clutch release
2. brake light switch
3. IAC
You need to kill the ignition for the air shifter even without nitrous.
the only guys killing the spray to shift are guys running big jets.(150hp)and not very many of them actually. (the ones that have sheet metal exhaust)
some guys run a progressive two stage ,that they back down the spray a little for the shift. but then again most of them are running autoshift. varies a little from index/ bracket racers to heads up racers.
but for a small shot of 20-40 hp you  just kill the ignition for the shift. you dont want to run up against the rev limiter though,if you miss the shift light .
so you want a higher rev limiter than the shift light naturally. it,s pretty easy to over rev the shift light when the adrenaline is pumping .
:up: thank for the corrections and teachings