May 06, 2024, 03:56:36 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stuff the MoCo got right.....

Started by Big Dan, March 04, 2009, 05:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

There a couple of threads going on various aspects of this subject, and I thought it might be fun to compile a list of stuff the factory got "right." By "right," I mean stuff that comes from the MoCo that is as good or better (and sometimes even more cost effective) than what is available in the aftermarket. How about you copy and paste the list and add to it, so we have one list. I'll start with the stuff that's already being discussed, or has been discussed recently.

AGM battery
"B" lifters for Twin Cam
SE adjustable pushrods
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Rugby_fxdwg

March 04, 2009, 05:32:05 PM #1 Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 05:34:29 PM by Rugby_fxdwg
Dan,
  Did you ever upgrade your M&M injection? How much torque did you get out of her? Love the new paint job! :up:
I agree the MoCo did quite a few things right, like the new:
Frames,
ABS Brakes
Electronics
Fuel Injection
Cast Wheels (very light)
The newer paint schemes
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Big Dan

I'm waiting for my BC Gerolamy throttle body to arrive. If I ever get this bike back together, I'll add the throttle body, and then it goes to Brian at Valley Racing for a tune. The paint will have some flaws in it. This was a really big project to attempt for a "first timer."

CndUltra88

BD, what version of the SE adjustables... cause there are the newer ones with several flats on them.
But, I do understand the concept of what your trying to accomplish.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

CraigArizona85248

In terms of things they got right that have also proved themselves against the test of time...

- The Jiffy Stand
- Styling

seattledyna

self cancelling turn signals!, there are still many manufactures that do not offer that function :dgust:

gryphon

Gotta agree with Craig on the jiffy stand. How many thousands of times did we put our full weight on those puppies kicking 'em over and no problems. Lock in place too. I've watched a couple of jap bikes fall over when sliding forward on an incline while idling and flipping up their kickstands.

gryphon

SeattleDyna, I see your in P'ville now. I used to own a gas station in Pollock Pines back in the early 80's.

harleytoprock

CV carbs.  OR should we give the Japs the credit for that.

HD Chrome. I've been very happy with the Harley chrome covers. Years ago the castings were porous and the chrome shops produced crap results on these castings with greater cost.

Clintster

I think they do a great job of staying true to the styling while making them modern machines.  After looking at some of my buds shovels, he sort of deals in them.  Well the fit and finish on some of the older bikes was just ok, there was an era it was poor.  But the great old machines are represented in the styling of the modern bikes.  My RKC is just about the same bike I fell in love with as kid, the 65 pan my Uncle had.  Only they have modern technology and the bike has been very trouble free.  With some upgrades it really rocks and looks like the bikes of yesteryear.  Some of my friends riding competitors bikes are really surprised by the power and handling this road sofa contains.  They do quite a bit Right...
Drive fast, take chances

CDeucer

Back in the day, I used to have the strongest right leg in town trying to kickstart my Sporty. My '74 Superglide, with electric start was hit or miss on wether it wanted to start or not.  My injected '02 starts before I can let loose of the starter button. First time, every time, hot or cold.  And I have yet to find a spot of oil underneath her. HD got that right!

FLH

I think they got the whole damn show right. What other MC manufacturer has lasted this long? Don't even get me started on this latest Indian reincarnation.
For me, there is no better styling lines than a big twin HD. And stone simple motor we can all work on, with it's basic design and lineage all the way back to '36. Just the sound of one in the distance can take away all my stressful thoughts..... Ahhh...
And made (mostly) in the good ol US of A. :teeth:
Gimme the open road :beer:

DarrellV

Deye76

Wideglide front end. Same basic design since it's inception...1949
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Black Diamond

Designing the Evolution motor - Aluminum motors from Harley. This was quite a leap of faith as the Harley faithful do not like change! This truly helped save the MoCo.

JW

Rags722

Like 'em or hate 'em, the dealer network.  Maybe I'm jaded by living on the East Coast, but when we are on vacation it's hard not to be able to find a dealer in 50 miles if the bike is acting up, and everyplace we have gone they have always put a priority on getting a travelers bike in to look at if it's in trouble.

Again, not the bike, but the HOG clubs.  No other mfg has worked so hard at retaining a customer and offering something to keep them in the fold.

BELT DRIVE.. what can I say, I doubted it would work/last/or hold up to everyday riding.  Sure, they can break now and then, but so can a chain. 

Interchangable parts..  I don't see the need to reintroduce your product every few years like the metrics do.  I kinda like the idea that for the most part, you can take a part off a 10 year old bike and bolt it to a 15 year old bike and it is an exact replacement.

PC_Hater

Good: Belt drive,
interchangeable parts across many years. At least one Sportster part fits my 1942 WL!
the 49mm forks on the Dynas. When can we have those on the FLs?
The general 'daft old bike feel' with modern reliability and performance.

Bad: That vile Wideglide front end! I know they copied it from a captured wartime BMW when they built the XA, but really, it should have been pensioned-off 40 years ago!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

takwolf

EVO engine, whoever designed it, was on the ball. Pulled H-D from going under. Belt drive, didn't trust it at first, but it works great. Keeping the timeless styling.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

willymax4

the sound a harley engine makes is like no other sound that i know of. when i hear one in the distance roaring down the highway i've got to stop what i'm doing and give that sound special attention. it just makes me want to go fire up the scoot and take a putt.
the moco definetly got the sound right from day 1.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

codyshop

If you mean a specific product and not a design or feature, it has to be the SE easy install pushrods for the TC.  It is the only HD product that I will ever use on a customer bike.  I can't think of anything else HD markets that is better than any aftermarket alternative for the price.  Ray

Hybredhog

Another vote for the jiffy stand, pretty much the best one  EVER put on the planet. How often have you've seen a 300 lb. guy standing on an old 4 speed kick starting it for hours, & forgot to turn on the kill switch  :cry: I just wish they'd make wider use of the FL version on all models. As for the old 4 speed kick starters, they put up with a lot of abuse, and are easily rebuildable...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Big Dan

Yeah, Ray, that's where I was attempting to go with this. But there's some interesting discussion, nevertheless.

Princess Butt

What did they get right? Just about everything they can do right, they've done right.

Where do I start?

Serviceability. You can change sparkplugs in ten minutes with minimal effort. Ever try that on a metric bike?

We can change the oil filter without dropping the exhaust.

Is there anything more classic looking from the factory than a Heritage Softail?

Sportster's handling, when ridden at reasonable speeds.

The 49mm forks on the new Dynas. They just look stout.

Nothing like some good old fashioned, low end torque when you've got a full load.

Fuel economy out of a 1600 cc motor which rivals metric bikes with a motor half the size.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

EagleFTE

The removable windshields on the FLs are probably better than anyone else's.

V24me

What they got right:

Watching the after market industry and riders mods to see what will sell and letting owners road test, then when sales flatten out, they add proven upgrades to their models.
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!