May 09, 2024, 07:19:30 AM

News:

which carb do you recommend?

Started by gsxrboy96, March 16, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxrboy96

98 inch , 10.65 to 1, tman 590 Cams,fat cat ,  this is in a bagger, hsr42 or 45 ..... Or maybe a cv44, I've jetted and used the 42 and 44, no experience wirh the 45, ready set ....go ! 
Pick a lane

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Merc63

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

rigidthumper

i like the CV44 for milage and performance. The Mik has a better perceived feel, and a lot of folks like the better feel.  I've never seen a difference on the dyno, tho.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

saddle tramp

CV's will get you good mph, Mik's will to but you need to know the carb and jet it accordingly.

speedzter

The answer is they will all work well when correctly jetted.
I would choose the 45 Mik', otherwise whatever you may have on hand.

Nowhereman

Mik 45 and you will be set for any engine upgrade later on.
Slight jetting is all you'll need for the idle circuit and main. :chop:
- From Nowhere in particular

Hillside Motorcycle

45 won't be too much, nor would an S&S G with a T/jet.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

NHBagger

I was told a 42 Mikuni would support 120 HP and give great low end torque due to the velocity whereas the 45 would do better on HP but you might lose some low end torque depending on the heads?

Hillside Motorcycle

120 hp with a 42, would be like asking for a deal that God gave Noah.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

Quote from: NHBAGGER on March 17, 2014, 08:50:48 AM
I was told a 42 Mikuni would support 120 HP and give great low end torque due to the velocity whereas the 45 would do better on HP but you might lose some low end torque depending on the heads?

Who told you that?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

05FLHTC

X2 IME & IMO I suggest the Mik 45
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

Nowhereman

Quote from: turboprop on March 17, 2014, 02:57:50 PM
Quote from: NHBAGGER on March 17, 2014, 08:50:48 AM

Who told you that?

Ditto, Don't listen to that "knowledgeable" person anymore...lol :hyst:

twincam8888

I'm a big fan of the 44mm CV carb. Easy to jet, good mileage, large enough for a 98".
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Rugby_fxdwg

March 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM #14 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:07:13 PM by Rugby_fxdwg
I have a similar build and went with the SE CV44 because I didn't want to hear the MiK chatter. Its an Ultra with lowers and didn't want to hear it reverberate off the fairing and lowers. Performance wise, I would think it would be a wash. I think Max did a comparison of the three main carbs on the market, he would have some great insight...so would many of the gentleman who offer their expertise on here like Larry, Scott, Bob, Don, prodrag....too many to mention.
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Carl 1969

What's the consensus on Woods-modded CVs?
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

TorQuePimp

44 CV

Mr Woods seems to know a few tricks with the carbs....ive had two liked them both

Nowhereman

That"s precisely the point.
If you have to go to someone to get a carb modified, you have lost.
Note: no one I know runs a CV for performance.
If they are they are trying to make a point that can't be won.
Take that CV up into the mountains and back down then lets see how you like it. :scratch:
Miks don't need to go to someone to get modified.
Literally out of the box they run good.
Once you read and understand how they work, you can adjust them to suit your motor needs in less than 30 minutes.
Get a Mik and you will be happy and have room to modify jetting for almost any motor useage. :rtfb:

Nowhereman

Quote from: Rugby_fxdwg on March 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM
I have a similar build and went with the SE CV44 because I didn't want to hear the MiK chatter. Its an Ultra with lowers and didn't want to hear it reverberate off the fairing and lowers. Performance wise, I would think it would be a wash. I think Max did a comparison of the three main carbs on the market, he would have some great insight...so would many of the gentleman who offer their expertise on here like Larry, Scott, Bob, Don, prodrag....too many to mention.

It weird how people think.
The club here likes the chatter.
We call it character.
It means get ready for some serious loss of rounds of beer. :bike:

MikeL

98, S&S 625G, Kirby Heads, 11:1, Heavy Breather, Freedom pipe. I have a CV44 no complaints here. No modifications other than jetting. I last checked mileage 39.9 mpg pulls like a bitch great drive-ability, trouble free.

MIKE

saddle tramp

Quote from: Nowhereman on March 19, 2014, 06:22:40 AM
Take that CV up into the mountains and back down then lets see how you like it. :scratch:
Once you read and understand how they work, you can adjust them to suit your motor needs in less than 30 minutes.
Get a Mik and you will be happy and have room to modify jetting for almost any motor useage. :rtfb:

If you take a CV up in the mountains, because of the vacuum operated slide it will run much better than your mik. The slide helps compensate for the altitude where the mik is jetted for where you live sea level or where ever. I've had both and ride as high as 8,200 feet and live at 3,500 and have ridden to the coast many times. The mik is a good performance carb but the CV is a good all around street carb.

jrgreene1968

If a cv is enough for a 98" and a mik 42 is supposed to flow more than a cv44, why wouldn't a mik 42 be enough

NHBagger

A 42 Mikuni would be enough with your present setup.  I run a 42 on my 106 and the AFR numbers are fine.

Winston Wolf

Quote from: pigfixer on March 19, 2014, 09:31:45 AM
Quote from: Nowhereman on March 19, 2014, 06:22:40 AM

If you take a CV up in the mountains, because of the vacuum operated slide it will run much better than your mik. The slide helps compensate for the altitude where the mik is jetted for where you live sea level or where ever. I've had both and ride as high as 8,200 feet and live at 3,500 and have ridden to the coast many times. The mik is a good performance carb but the CV is a good all around street carb.

On this comment, I would disagree.  I've had my Mikuni HSR42 from -200 ft (Death Valley) to 14,110 ft (Pikes Peak) and have never had to adjust the carburetor, it runs flawlessly.  It was perfectly tuned at 1000 ft with a a/f meter.  And!!, I get 44-50+ MPG.  I would put the Mikuni against any other carb, any day.  The Mikuni is the best steet carb, it doesn't feel like a mush bucket when you twist the throttle.

05fatboy95

I ran a mikuni 42 on my 107" and it was flawless. I did switch to a 45mm trying to chase a few extra ponies. Set of the pants no difference but the dyno showed 6hp increase. Same dyno.

NHBagger

Quote from: 05fatboy95 on March 19, 2014, 11:03:17 AM
I ran a mikuni 42 on my 107" and it was flawless. I did switch to a 45mm trying to chase a few extra ponies. Set of the pants no difference but the dyno showed 6hp increase. Same dyno.

Do you remember if the torque changed?

jrgreene1968

March 19, 2014, 11:44:31 AM #26 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:46:44 AM by jrgreene1968
Quote from: 05fatboy95 on March 19, 2014, 11:03:17 AM
I ran a mikuni 42 on my 107" and it was flawless
. I did switch to a 45mm trying to chase a few
extra ponies. Set of the pants no difference but
the dyno showed 6hp increase. Same dyno.

How much hp was you able to pull out of the 42 mik?

05fatboy95

March 19, 2014, 12:13:15 PM #27 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:05:24 PM by 05fatboy95
The tq went up 2tq but I figured that could be just the dyno. I had 109hp 126tq before and 115hp/128tq after sae. If my memory serves me right.

In all fairness the first dyno day with the 42 the build was new. Just some heat cycles. I put the 45 on about 2k miles later. I got the 45mm on eBay for $100 and did a rebuild kit. If it wouldn't have been that cheap I wouldn't have done it as the 42mm worked great. Dyno guy did another run, idk what he did (different gear or timing) but it got 119/131 sae on the 42mm but it was just to kinda show me how people can inflate the numbers if some one wanted.

Carl 1969

I'm a fan of the CV. Have had great results with them on 3 bikes, from mild to semi-wild, along with a 4-pack of 'em on my old Kawi ZRX1200R.

Planning on taking my '02 to either 95" or 98" next year, with cam & heads with an emphasis on torque & debating whether a CV44, or Woods 40.5 or 43 would be my best bet.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

jrgreene1968

Quote from: Carl 1969 on March 19, 2014, 06:17:43 PM
I'm a fan of the CV. Have had great results with them on 3 bikes, from mild to semi-wild, along with a 4-pack of 'em on my old Kawi ZRX1200R.

Planning on taking my '02 to either 95" or 98" next year, with cam & heads with an emphasis on torque & debating whether a CV44, or Woods 40.5 or 43 would be my best bet.

I had a good conversation with bobby about his carbs..they have good reviews, and evidently do what he claims..but you better get your checkbook out, cause they aint cheap

twincam8888

But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

05FLHTC

Quote from: Winston Wolf on March 19, 2014, 10:00:29 AM
On this comment, I would disagree.  I've had my Mikuni HSR42 from -200 ft (Death Valley) to 14,110 ft (Pikes Peak) and have never had to adjust the carburetor, it runs flawlessly.  It was perfectly tuned at 1000 ft with a a/f meter.  And!!, I get 44-50+ MPG.  I would put the Mikuni against any other carb, any day.  The Mikuni is the best steet carb, it doesn't feel like a mush bucket when you twist the throttle.

X2  :up: :up:

Merc63

I had a 48mm mikuni and it was like fuel injection.  I liked it very much, but it was too small or id still be using it.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

jrgreene1968

Quote from: Merc63 on March 20, 2014, 06:11:17 PM
I had a 48mm mikuni and it was like fuel injection.  I liked it very much, but it was too small or id still be using it.

on the hsr45 and 48..will a se backing plate work, or do you have to use the mikuni air breather setup? I was looking at the hsr45 kits, but cant find anything on whether stage 1 and 2 air breathers work with them

Merc63

Quote from: jrgreene1968 on March 20, 2014, 06:15:16 PM

on the hsr45 and 48..will a se backing plate work, or do you have to use the mikuni air breather setup? I was looking at the hsr45 kits, but cant find anything on whether stage 1 and 2 air breathers work with them

I am not sure, never seen an SE plate.  I had a mukini mount that I used.
2000 Dyna
126" S&S

Clayster

Quote from: Carl 1969 on March 19, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

Got a Rebel 43.5 on my 95" Heritage.  Like it a lot.  I own but have never yet run a Mikuni.  Like the Rebel too much to mess with it...

05fatboy95

There is an adapter you can buy to use the SE plate or heavy breather set up.

fidel

March 20, 2014, 08:58:56 PM #37 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:03:07 PM by fidel
lollll looks like  oil tread  myne is better than yoursi av a 98 ci andrews 57 cam wfo larry 2013 stage 1+ head 1.9 intake valve  10 ~1  comp  supertrapp supermeg now with cv 40 in breakin period now 100 milles done not dyno yet   cv 40 in it   always thinkin about enough carb or not mikuni 42 cv 44 woods carb 

Nowhereman

gsxrboy96

Atleast I didn't mention lectron carbs, I have some of those here in the shop as well !  :chop:
Pick a lane

Nowhereman

Quote from: gsxrboy96 on March 21, 2014, 04:47:44 AM
Atleast I didn't mention lectron carbs, I have some of those here in the shop as well !  :chop:

I remember those.
A friend of mine had one in a box with the Bendix and Holley garbage carbs.
Might be worth some coin later on in a museum.  :hyst:

05FLHTC

There is an adapter ring that can be fitter to the Mik so you can use the SE backing plate if that's what you are referring to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261295454950?lpid=82

pwmorris

A properly prepped American made S&S G will smoke a Rice Mikuni (been there, done that/seen that), but a Mikuni is a great all street carb if you can ignore the slide rattle noise...Have no idea what a CV will do and Woods makes a real nice carb but his "King" carb is a King with out a crown-there is only one King and it holds more world records that all other manufacturers combined-

Nowhereman

Quote from: pwmorris on March 21, 2014, 04:00:24 PM
A properly prepped American made S&S G will smoke a Rice Mikuni (been there, done that/seen that), but a Mikuni is a great all street carb if you can ignore the slide rattle noise...Have no idea what a CV will do and Woods makes a real nice carb but his "King" carb is a King with out a crown-there is only one King and it holds more world records that all other manufacturers combined-

Hey PW, long time no see.
To be honest, the guy wants an upgrade for the street, not drag racing.
Can't see an S&S out doing a Mik on the street at all.
What have you been up to.

speedzter

A properly prepped American made S&S G will smoke a Rice Mikuni

Is that with or without thunderjets ?

jrgreene1968

I've considered trying a g..but everything I've read says they suck for gas mileage

pwmorris

Quote from: Nowhereman on March 21, 2014, 05:36:16 PM

How's it going?
Just screwing around-street and local tracks.
Yeah re read my post.....as I said a Mik makes a great street carb, some are annoyed by the slide rattle.
A G can be set up to be a nice street carb.
Running them seven years now on the street-works for me-
No drama but you have to know what you are doing....

mr_natural78

March 21, 2014, 07:41:50 PM #47 Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:17:35 AM by mr_natural78
Quote from: 05FLHTC on March 21, 2014, 02:59:58 PM

There is an adapter ring that can be fitter to the Mik so you can use the SE backing plate if that's what you are referring to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261295454950?lpid=82

I have one of these adapters on my 113. I used to run a heavy breather but switched to the SE backing plate with zippers filter. Now I'm switching to a Doherty  backing plate with the zippers filter. The hole in those adapters is sized well for a mik42. It is to small for a mik45 or mik48. If you run one you'll want to spend some ttime with a dremel and open it up.
2000 FXDX, 113ci, HTCC CNC heads, 116hp/127tq

Nowhereman

Quote from: pwmorris on March 21, 2014, 07:24:55 PM
Quote from: Nowhereman on March 21, 2014, 05:36:16 PM

How's it going?
Just screwing around-street and local tracks.
Yeah re read my post.....as I said a Mik makes a great street carb, some are annoyed by the slide rattle.
A G can be set up to be a nice street carb.
Running them seven years now on the street-works for me-
No drama but you have to know what you are doing....

True, it you want something enough you'll find a way to make it work.
I'm still running Miks and have no issues with em.
Never got the chance to play with a Guppy pipe though.
RB is easier to get a hold of.
I'm sketching up a new primary casing to be able to deal with a compensator / tensioner I have ideas on.

DEW

[/quote]

YES, Im using a SE backing plate with a 48.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: jrgreene1968 on March 21, 2014, 07:09:59 PM
I've considered trying a g..but everything I've read says they suck for gas mileage

I'd say you loose about 3 mpg when tuned well, Someone might be able to do better but not I..  :embarrassed: )  Trick is the transition from the intermediate port to the main and getting it right some times means running the that area closer to 13.0 to a afr instead of 14.. This is the area where you spend most of your time cruising hence mileage drops..

Max

05FLHTC

Yup that's why my G is setting on the shelf  :dgust:

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 22, 2014, 08:21:40 AM
Quote from: jrgreene1968 on March 21, 2014, 07:09:59 PM

I'd say you loose about 3 mpg when tuned well, Someone might be able to do better but not I..  :embarrassed: )  Trick is the transition from the intermediate port to the main and getting it right some times means running the that area closer to 13.0 to a afr instead of 14.. This is the area where you spend most of your time cruising hence mileage drops..

Max

AllanW

June 27, 2014, 03:55:56 PM #52 Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:03:15 PM by AllanW
For Sale?

Reddog74usa

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on March 17, 2014, 11:06:58 AM
120 hp with a 42, would be like asking for a deal that God gave Noah.

That was great :hyst:

A 45 Mike would work very well. At 98 inches I would skip the 42
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

speed limit

If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Matt C

Quote from: gsxrboy96 on March 21, 2014, 04:47:44 AM

Ahhh Lectrons. I use those on Two-stroke 750 triples. They make really good power. Easy to
tune too.

Nowhereman

45 Mik well tuned could just be the perfect carb for an HD between 95 and 120 inches. :potstir:

FXDRYDR

Mik, CV, G - all will work and do about the same thing for your application.  I ran a CV 44 in a 98" 585 build and had zero complaints or issues.  It ran very well.  CVs are supposed to compensate for altitude and that would tip the scale for me given you've got a bagger so assume you might tour. 

Hossamania

I like my CV, easy to tune, snappy enough acceleration.
I wouldn't mind trying a Mik, just haven't made the commitment because mine works fine.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

clawdog60

No CC cable connection on the MIK or I would run 1. :cry: