May 09, 2024, 03:55:52 AM

News:

which carb do you recommend?

Started by gsxrboy96, March 16, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxrboy96

98 inch , 10.65 to 1, tman 590 Cams,fat cat ,  this is in a bagger, hsr42 or 45 ..... Or maybe a cv44, I've jetted and used the 42 and 44, no experience wirh the 45, ready set ....go ! 
Pick a lane

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Merc63

2000 Dyna
126" S&S

rigidthumper

i like the CV44 for milage and performance. The Mik has a better perceived feel, and a lot of folks like the better feel.  I've never seen a difference on the dyno, tho.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

saddle tramp

CV's will get you good mph, Mik's will to but you need to know the carb and jet it accordingly.

speedzter

The answer is they will all work well when correctly jetted.
I would choose the 45 Mik', otherwise whatever you may have on hand.

Nowhereman

Mik 45 and you will be set for any engine upgrade later on.
Slight jetting is all you'll need for the idle circuit and main. :chop:
- From Nowhere in particular

Hillside Motorcycle

45 won't be too much, nor would an S&S G with a T/jet.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

NHBagger

I was told a 42 Mikuni would support 120 HP and give great low end torque due to the velocity whereas the 45 would do better on HP but you might lose some low end torque depending on the heads?

Hillside Motorcycle

120 hp with a 42, would be like asking for a deal that God gave Noah.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

Quote from: NHBAGGER on March 17, 2014, 08:50:48 AM
I was told a 42 Mikuni would support 120 HP and give great low end torque due to the velocity whereas the 45 would do better on HP but you might lose some low end torque depending on the heads?

Who told you that?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

05FLHTC

X2 IME & IMO I suggest the Mik 45
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

Nowhereman

Quote from: turboprop on March 17, 2014, 02:57:50 PM
Quote from: NHBAGGER on March 17, 2014, 08:50:48 AM

Who told you that?

Ditto, Don't listen to that "knowledgeable" person anymore...lol :hyst:

twincam8888

I'm a big fan of the 44mm CV carb. Easy to jet, good mileage, large enough for a 98".
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

Rugby_fxdwg

March 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM #14 Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:07:13 PM by Rugby_fxdwg
I have a similar build and went with the SE CV44 because I didn't want to hear the MiK chatter. Its an Ultra with lowers and didn't want to hear it reverberate off the fairing and lowers. Performance wise, I would think it would be a wash. I think Max did a comparison of the three main carbs on the market, he would have some great insight...so would many of the gentleman who offer their expertise on here like Larry, Scott, Bob, Don, prodrag....too many to mention.
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Carl 1969

What's the consensus on Woods-modded CVs?
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

TorQuePimp

44 CV

Mr Woods seems to know a few tricks with the carbs....ive had two liked them both

Nowhereman

That"s precisely the point.
If you have to go to someone to get a carb modified, you have lost.
Note: no one I know runs a CV for performance.
If they are they are trying to make a point that can't be won.
Take that CV up into the mountains and back down then lets see how you like it. :scratch:
Miks don't need to go to someone to get modified.
Literally out of the box they run good.
Once you read and understand how they work, you can adjust them to suit your motor needs in less than 30 minutes.
Get a Mik and you will be happy and have room to modify jetting for almost any motor useage. :rtfb:

Nowhereman

Quote from: Rugby_fxdwg on March 18, 2014, 04:59:41 PM
I have a similar build and went with the SE CV44 because I didn't want to hear the MiK chatter. Its an Ultra with lowers and didn't want to hear it reverberate off the fairing and lowers. Performance wise, I would think it would be a wash. I think Max did a comparison of the three main carbs on the market, he would have some great insight...so would many of the gentleman who offer their expertise on here like Larry, Scott, Bob, Don, prodrag....too many to mention.

It weird how people think.
The club here likes the chatter.
We call it character.
It means get ready for some serious loss of rounds of beer. :bike:

MikeL

98, S&S 625G, Kirby Heads, 11:1, Heavy Breather, Freedom pipe. I have a CV44 no complaints here. No modifications other than jetting. I last checked mileage 39.9 mpg pulls like a bitch great drive-ability, trouble free.

MIKE

saddle tramp

Quote from: Nowhereman on March 19, 2014, 06:22:40 AM
Take that CV up into the mountains and back down then lets see how you like it. :scratch:
Once you read and understand how they work, you can adjust them to suit your motor needs in less than 30 minutes.
Get a Mik and you will be happy and have room to modify jetting for almost any motor useage. :rtfb:

If you take a CV up in the mountains, because of the vacuum operated slide it will run much better than your mik. The slide helps compensate for the altitude where the mik is jetted for where you live sea level or where ever. I've had both and ride as high as 8,200 feet and live at 3,500 and have ridden to the coast many times. The mik is a good performance carb but the CV is a good all around street carb.

jrgreene1968

If a cv is enough for a 98" and a mik 42 is supposed to flow more than a cv44, why wouldn't a mik 42 be enough

NHBagger

A 42 Mikuni would be enough with your present setup.  I run a 42 on my 106 and the AFR numbers are fine.

Winston Wolf

Quote from: pigfixer on March 19, 2014, 09:31:45 AM
Quote from: Nowhereman on March 19, 2014, 06:22:40 AM

If you take a CV up in the mountains, because of the vacuum operated slide it will run much better than your mik. The slide helps compensate for the altitude where the mik is jetted for where you live sea level or where ever. I've had both and ride as high as 8,200 feet and live at 3,500 and have ridden to the coast many times. The mik is a good performance carb but the CV is a good all around street carb.

On this comment, I would disagree.  I've had my Mikuni HSR42 from -200 ft (Death Valley) to 14,110 ft (Pikes Peak) and have never had to adjust the carburetor, it runs flawlessly.  It was perfectly tuned at 1000 ft with a a/f meter.  And!!, I get 44-50+ MPG.  I would put the Mikuni against any other carb, any day.  The Mikuni is the best steet carb, it doesn't feel like a mush bucket when you twist the throttle.

05fatboy95

I ran a mikuni 42 on my 107" and it was flawless. I did switch to a 45mm trying to chase a few extra ponies. Set of the pants no difference but the dyno showed 6hp increase. Same dyno.