April 27, 2024, 02:26:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gaterman GP-1023 Lifters Long Term Wear

Started by Winston Wolf, March 16, 2014, 07:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: twincam8888 on March 19, 2014, 10:23:20 AM
Quote from: HV on March 17, 2014, 05:42:27 PM
Bearing Skate from SYN Oils  :potstir:

Excuse my ignorance but if there is enough friction to wear from "skating" would there not be enough friction to roll the bearing?
Skate can occur for other reasons too. In a case of a lifter it could be not maintaining full contact on the cam at all times. No oil will save this slip chatter effect.
Ron

Winston Wolf

Quote from: rbabos on March 19, 2014, 11:30:10 AM

Excuse my ignorance but if there is enough friction to wear from "skating" would there not be enough friction to roll the bearing?
Skate can occur for other reasons too. In a case of a lifter it could be not maintaining full contact on the cam at all times. No oil will save this slip chatter effect.
Ron

I think it was skating because the roller bearing was going out.  Like I said earlier, you can really feel it (the notchiness) in the bearing.

What do you guys think the spring pressure should be at installed height with a cam like that CR575?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on March 17, 2014, 10:26:18 AM
I've got one Gaterman (front exhaust) that bleeds down overnight=cold rattle for 30 seconds. Just came in from re-adjusting, no difference. The SE pushrods have about 78,000 miles on them, so maybe an end on that one has a wear pattern unlike the others and is the culprit.  :nix: Do any of you replace the pushrods after a certain amount of miles?

I have a similar situation, front exhaust a bit noisy when cold. When the motors warm its better, but always a slight tick. I readjusted them last year, and again last weekend. Still there. The noise doesn't bother me so much as, it wasn't there in the beginning. These have around 7,600 miles on them.

rbabos

Quote from: Winston Wolf on March 19, 2014, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 19, 2014, 11:30:10 AM

Ron

I think it was skating because the roller bearing was going out.  Like I said earlier, you can really feel it (the notchiness) in the bearing.

What do you guys think the spring pressure should be at installed height with a cam like that CR575?
Could also be the chicken or egg conditon. Which caused what first?
Can't help on the springs. :idunno:
Ron

Deye76

March 19, 2014, 01:11:30 PM #54 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:54:00 PM by Deye76
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 19, 2014, 12:12:54 PM

I've got one Gaterman (front exhaust) that bleeds down overnight=cold rattle for 30 seconds. Just came in from re-adjusting, no difference. The SE pushrods have about 78,000 miles on them, so maybe an end on that one has a wear pattern unlike the others and is the culprit.  :nix: Do any of you replace the pushrods after a certain amount of miles?
My front exhaust knocks terribly on cold start, takes about 15 seconds to quiet down, then very quiet. Have about 10K on the lifters.
I have a similar situation, front exhaust a bit noisy when cold. When the motors warm its better, but always a slight tick. I readjusted them last year, and again last weekend. Still there. The noise doesn't bother me so much as, it wasn't there in the beginning. These have around 7,600 miles on them.

Guess my reply didn't take;
Anyway my front exhaust knocks terribly on start up (cold) gets quiet after about 15-20 seconds, then is very quiet until it sit's overnight again.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

No Cents

Brian...I thought you was going to give the S&S premium lifters a try?
I was going to ask you the other day if you did...and how you liked them.
Hold out a little...I think there is going to be a new lifter come out real soon...I can't say no more than that  [attach=0]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

joe_lyons

Here are some 99c lifters with 3k miles on them I took out today, bone stock bike syn3.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

No Cents

damn Joe...are those pit marks on two of them...can you feel that with your finger?
It looks like you could.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

Quote from: joe_lyons50023 on March 19, 2014, 01:43:06 PM
Here are some 99c lifters with 3k miles on them I took out today, bone stock bike syn3.
That's fugly. Cam got frosting?
Ron

q1svt

Did you happen to check the clearances of the lifters to the alignment pins?
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

Ohio HD

Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2014, 01:27:45 PM

Brian...I thought you was going to give the S&S premium lifters a try?
I was going to ask you the other day if you did...and how you liked them.
Hold out a little...I think there is going to be a new lifter come out real soon...I can't say no more than that  [attach=0]

I was, but that was when building the 124, before the 107 went sour. I wasn't planning to replace these just to replace them. But late in the year the front exhaust started talking a little. Did I ever mention I'm hard on things?

Will most likely buy a set of the S&S premium lifters this Spring and try them out.

jrgreene1968

I hate reading this thread..ive got a new set of the gatermans I was gonna install along with a 98" etc..but now im wandering if maybe I should try a different brand. Im running woods now..actually not impressed with the woods..got 1 that bleeds down from time to time. Are the s&s premiums better?

Deye76

Since the "B" lifters are no more it's probably a crap shoot. Can't believe how many times in the last 40 years, that the next new lifter coming out will be  "it". 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FSG

Quote from: jrgreene1968 on March 19, 2014, 04:55:29 PM
I hate reading this thread..ive got a new set of the gatermans I was gonna install along with a 98" etc..but now im wandering if maybe I should try a different brand. Im running woods now..actually not impressed with the woods..got 1 that bleeds down from time to time. Are the s&s premiums better?

Don't let a thread like this put you off, install those Gatermans.

JohnCA58

I took a set of Gaterman out last week on my 120 with 25K miles,  put in a set of S&S premiums w/ limiters,  I set these one turn back,  the Gaterman were set at 3.5 turns with S.E. Taper rods.   Got 500 miles on the S&S already and like them, nice and quiet on cold starts and hot.   definitely quieter than the Gatermans.
YOLO

BVHOG

Quote from: rbabos on March 19, 2014, 02:43:37 PM
Ron
Got a 13 in today with stock lifters with one that takes a few seconds to pump up on each start, will be interesting to see if they look like yours.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on March 19, 2014, 05:38:07 PM
Quote from: jrgreene1968 on March 19, 2014, 04:55:29 PM

Don't let a thread like this put you off, install those Gatermans.

I'm definitely not saying they're bad lifters.

As I believe given enough time, heavy springs, high lift cams, I can tear any brand up...    :bike:

JohnCA58

I agree with you.  Gatermans that came out look good.   Just going to play it safe and change out at 25K mile.   Called PM service
YOLO

Jaycee1964

Quote from: JohnCA58 on March 19, 2014, 05:43:33 PM
I took a set of Gaterman out last week on my 120 with 25K miles,  put in a set of S&S premiums w/ limiters,  I set these one turn back,  the Gaterman were set at 3.5 turns with S.E. Taper rods.   Got 500 miles on the S&S already and like them, nice and quiet on cold starts and hot.   definitely quieter than the Gatermans.

Heck!  25K on lifters and your not happy with that?  I do 15K between changes and happy with that!   I have run 662-2's and 640's and have never had a quieter or better performing lifter.  2 sets into it and they came out looking like the day they went in.  No complaints here.  Personally I would not push a twin cam lifter in a performance cam profile past 15K.  Too many factors involved and a lot of pressures on those lifters.
Very cheap and easy item to replace so I personally see no need to push the threshold.
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

joe_lyons

Quote from: No Cents on March 19, 2014, 02:01:45 PM
damn Joe...are those pit marks on two of them...can you feel that with your finger?
It looks like you could.
I could feel it with the end of my pocket screwdriver.

Quote from: rbabos on March 19, 2014, 02:43:37 PM
Ron
I'll snap some pics tomorow but the cams are not as bad as the lifters.

Quote from: q1svt on March 19, 2014, 02:50:35 PM
Did you happen to check the clearances of the lifters to the alignment pins?
I did and they were both .008 with the 99c and .006 with the 850-1 lifters.  Gotta start getting some oversized pins in stock.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

N-gin

Curious if anyone measured the radial play on the axle?

So the lifter rollers are frosted and the cam looks good?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

strokerjlk

Quote from: Jaycee1964 on March 19, 2014, 07:19:29 PM

Heck!  25K on lifters and your not happy with that?  I do 15K between changes and happy with that!   I have run 662-2's and 640's and have never had a quieter or better performing lifter.  2 sets into it and they came out looking like the day they went in.  No complaints here.  Personally I would not push a twin cam lifter in a performance cam profile past 15K.  Too many factors involved and a lot of pressures on those lifters.
Very cheap and easy item to replace so I personally see no need to push the threshold.
You have never installed a new set and had one or two , that wouldn't stay pumped up ?
It blows my mind that you can install something that is brand new and it isn't as good as what you took out .
It used to be so easy . Now it takes a prayer meeting every time you install half these B knock off's
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

TweekmyTwin

March 20, 2014, 07:36:47 AM #72 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:28:35 AM by TweekmyTwin
Seems the last two set I installed ( Gaterman's ) had one lifter never pump up on each motor. My luck with them has been bad so back to Fueling or S & S. Just my experience but most of you guys are having great luck.. I could use some... :scoot:
Kiss What ?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: strokerjlk on March 20, 2014, 03:43:25 AM
Quote from: Jaycee1964 on March 19, 2014, 07:19:29 PM

You have never installed a new set and had one or two , that wouldn't stay pumped up ?
It blows my mind that you can install something that is brand new and it isn't as good as what you took out .
It used to be so easy . Now it takes a prayer meeting every time you install half these B knock off's
Shaking a dead chicken helps..  :wink:

Max

BUBBIE

March 20, 2014, 08:00:50 AM #74 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:06:05 AM by BUBBIE
Chicken or No Chicken :hyst:, I went back in and Loosened my lifters to re set them...

EVERY Time  a thread like this I THINK I can hear noise.
Never,,, "Did" that sewing machine sound change BUT I "did" the re-set of the gatermans to 3T+3 to 4 flats from 3T of original setting... (21/22 flats on SE slender's at 24thrds per inch).

I Thought I could hear More noise on a 3 day run here in Az. Now, I really hear no difference than the Original sewing machine noise that was there before the added adjustment. (Never checked further to check pin play or looks of the lifter..... felt no need there)

When I first set them they sounded like they do now and Only IMAGINATION and Muffled ears make a Sound change here.

Have you ever notice; when your ears have Not Popped you can hear every noise in the motor... Better than a stethoscope...

If I would only quit reading about the problems and wait until I have or Hear them OR like many do AND I Will : change out at 25,000 miles........ 11 thous to go..... :missed:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!