May 03, 2024, 01:46:39 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What Carb is this?

Started by RoadGlideRob, March 06, 2009, 06:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadGlideRob

Ok,  Shovelhead newbie question :embarrassed:.  I've got a carb that says AMF|Harley Davidson on it and Made in Japan with some wierd fat K.  No part numbers no other markings.  Could you guys help figure out what this is so i can get a rebuild kit for it?

Dont have pic's cause I'm at work.  If needed I'll take some and post tonight.

Thanks

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

RoadGlideRob

thats what i thought but wanted to make sure.  Do you know if the rebuild kits for these are the same for all Keihin carbs? 

loneman

The rebuild kits usually contain 17 parts and fit all Keihin carbs from 1976-89 except CV carbs.

CraigArizona85248

The rebuild kits are not all the same.  There are at least two types of Keihin carbs that Harley used.  Butterfly and CV.  The CV was used from the late 80's until 2006.  The Butterfly is the type that would have come on a shovelhead.  I'm not that familiar with Keihin Butterfly carbs ... check the parts book to see if they offer multiple rebuild kits for the Butterfly carb.

-Craig

panz4ever

76-89 were Keihin non-CV, 90 , I thought, started the CV type. Not sure what the rebuild kits contain but things like but things like main and slow jet sizing changed thru the years as well as some of the torque specifications.

MMOCGuy

Rob.

If your bike is a '76 or newer Shovelhead, the stock carb was a butterfly Keihin. Prior to '76, they were Bendix. The older Shovelhead (Generator motors) were Zeniths). Harley used the butterfly Keihin from 1976 up until 1989 but started using the CV Keihins on some models in 1988. The rebuild kits for the butterly keihins are the same for all years ('76 - '89). Just make sure you order the one for the butterfly carb.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

243ron

Do yourself a favor, crush that carb and put on a Bendix or a newer Kiehn. :gob:

RoadGlideRob

The bike is a 73 FX but I bought it as a basket case and there seems to be alot of different year parts on it.  Which is probably to be expected.  Would a picture help????  I can post one today if it would.

RoadGlideRob

Ok, so after doing some research... it appears that I probably dont have a CV carb seeings how mine is still single throttle cable.  I have found several Keihin CV carbs on ebay.  Will any of these work on an old shovel?  for examle one was off a 96 FL.  Also found one off a 78 but was an andrews flowmaster???  has that been converted to CV?

76shuvlinoff

March 08, 2009, 07:04:21 AM #10 Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:05:04 AM by 76shuvlinoff
 Go with the Keihin CV

I am not a tuner but I put a 1996 CV on my 76. For me it is leaps and bounds over the stock butterfly K9. It's no slouch but not a drag racing carb. However it starts better, idles smoother, has better throttle response and is generally much better behaved.  Finding one that has not be molested is the toughest part and make sure you get one with an accelerator pump. There are throat adapters on ebay, I suggest the press-on metal one. I also needed a 96 and up throttle assembly.

You will not regret it.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

loneman

76shuvlinuff,

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 08, 2009, 07:04:21 AM
Go with the Keihin CV

I am not a tuner but I put a 1996 CV on my 76. For me it is leaps and bounds over the stock butterfly K9. It's no slouch but not a drag racing carb. However it starts better, idles smoother, has better throttle response and is generally much better behaved.  Finding one that has not be molested is the toughest part and make sure you get one with an accelerator pump. There are throat adapters on ebay, I suggest the press-on metal one. I also needed a 96 and up throttle assembly.

You will not regret it.

I was recently "gifted" a CV carb by a biker buddy. It is a brand new take-off so it has the throttle assembly. I was hoping to put it on my 1980 FLT, but I don't know about these throat adapters and why they are necessary. Could you explain for us newbies?

Thanks,
loneman

76shuvlinoff

March 11, 2009, 04:57:39 PM #12 Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:59:54 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 Loneman
First off I've only had that CV on less than a year so in all honesty I'm a newbie myself. There are guys here much more qualified than I am but I appreciate the confidence.

I can tell you about MY cv though.  The rear of the carb is a straight thru tube instead of having a flange that would bolt to the intake. On ebay there are press on metal adapters that come with installation instructions. You press them on with a little JB Weld for sealer and you have a very solid method for bolting the carb to your intake.  I understand there are soft adapters on ebay too but from what I've read here the metal one is considered better. You still need to use a carb support bracket of some kind to protect your intake seals.

The beauty of this site is if I've missed something here someone will speak up soon and correct it or maybe offer a better explanation.

Mark

- Ernest Hemingway

loneman

Thanks Mark. I know I'm going to have some other questions as I go along, but you guys are always great at sharing information.  :up: I love this site. I will open up a new thread when the time comes to actually install the thing. I didn't mean to hog RoadGlideRob's thread.

loneman

MMOCGuy

On the old HTT site, UltraShovel posted directions on using a CV Carb. In it he included jetting recommendations. I don't know if he is still around on this site but, if he is, maybe he can post it again. If not, I have it saved in MS Word format. I don't want to post someone else's writings here unless I have his approval to do so but I think it would be OK to email it.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

RoadGlideRob

No worries Loneman.   :smiled: I actually had the same question.  Buddy of mine found this on ebay and I was hoping Shuvlin could let us know if this will do the trick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHOVELHEAD-IRONHEAD-SPORTSTER-CV-CARBURATOR-INTAKE-KT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ260294517873QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

dave_9113

Roadglidebob,

What Shuvlin is saying is right on.  If you are going to put the Keikin CV on your shovel, it will like it very much. 
When buying one, look for '93 or newer because they have an accelerator pump.  You can tell because there's a blue tag on the carb body that has numbers like....24589-95 (or something like that, meaning 1995 carb).  A good starting point for Shovel jetting is 50/190 and 1.5 turns out on fuel/air mixture.  That's the screw that you have to drill out the "cover plate" on an unmolested CV carb (bottom side towards engine on carb). 

Buy the metal flange press on type and do what Shuvlin noted.  Be sure you get the holes vertical, so it mounts exactly onto the manifold.  You may or may not want to use the fiber spacer, depending on how much you want the carb to stick out.  You can use most compatible air cleaners as long as you make it fit.  Some guys are real creative.   Also, you can run just one throttle cable because the return spring is plenty strong.

One last thing, be careful when you take off the 4 short phillips screw to split the carb body in order to replace the jets, because they strip easily and are on there tight, if they've never been touched.

Good luck.  Sorry for bouncing around, but you will enjoy the CV for it's function for the price. 

dave   

flhtcu2007

assuming that a 1996 kehin cv carb is 40mm which of these 2 adapters is best?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-CV-40MM-CARBURETOR-SHOVELHEAD-FLANGE_W0QQitemZ280320886431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item280320886431&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHOVELHEAD-IRONHEAD-SPORTSTER-CV-CARBURATOR-INTAKE-KT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ260294517873QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

flhtcu2007

also for those of you who have made this modification what are you using for the head to aircleaner bracket? Will an S&S bracket work for this? Just trying to undertsand the whole installation of this changeover and see what the easiest way is.

76shuvlinoff

March 12, 2009, 03:58:29 PM #19 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:46:27 PM by 76shuvlinoff
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLEY-DAVIDSON-CV-40MM-CARBURETOR-SHOVELHEAD-FLANGE_W0QQitemZ280320886431QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item280320886431&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

This is what I used except mine did not have the O ring cut into it like this one. I had to make a gasket for mine and this looks like a better deal.  A little JB weld, a press (or mallet if you have to) and a good eye you'll be good to go. Make sure your mounting bolts are not too long and end up against the carb body.  BTW I would avoid the mallet if possible.

I hate to reveal my ignorance but yes I do think my 1996 stock cv is 40mm. 

I used the old strap from the head to secure the carb.
I heated it up and bent it until it touched the backing plate. Actually I think there was a hole already there that lined up with it, if not just drill it.  I polished the strap back up with a buffer and it was good to go.
I wanted a little bling so I replaced the plastic top cover with a chrome one and replaced all the phillips screws with sockethead cap screws because I wrecked most of them just taking the carb apart to check the jetting and needle.   :embarrassed:  I think the chrome sockethead cap screw kit came from Jireh or JP  I got a needle from ArizonaCraig that seems to work great. My stock round air cleaner fit just right. At one time I had pics stored on the old HTT Managers site and on another computer but the site is gone and I'm on a laptop right now.

All I have to say is it must be damn simple if I can do it.

Norm I remember Ultras tuning document but I lost it.

Mark

edit to add:  there is a big difference between the bore of the adapter and the E manifold I bolted it to, The manifold ID is bigger than the carb bore, almost disturbingly so. I figured there's be a pressure drop and gas puddling there. Well if there is I have not noticed it. I put 50 and 190 jetting in it and I think I might go to 200 just to see what happens.  I wish I could remember the numbers on the needle but maybe Craig does. This is not a drag racing carb but on my fatass FLH 93" shovel it ate my buddies evo Fatboy's lunch. He got the launch but at the end of 3rd gear he was enjoying my Thunderheader. Maybe he was having a bad day... 

Sorry, long winded but one more thing...  For the record I am no pro and everything I leaned about my cv and for that matter my shovel, I learned from the folks on this site and the manual.

- Ernest Hemingway

flhtcu2007

thanks a ton. At first glance I thought the second was better but I see the benefits of the first now. Thanks for the input. That sounds like a great setup!!! I ecspecially appreciatte the mentioning of the carb bracket and how you made it. The setup is stock heads, cylinders and jugs with an H grind cam. Gonna be straight pipes so I'm wondering about the jetting. I know the lowend power that is lost with the open pipes. anyone have any sucess with welding washers in straight pipes to regain the lowend power. Anyone have any specs on that setup? Thanks so much for the replies.

96flhpi

76 - if it's not a hassle could you post pics of your A/C.  The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a CV is I really want to keep that 7 inch round A/C.  I assume that's what you mean by stock.  It looks like the CV carb would be too big to sit in the backing plate like the butterfly does, if you know what I mean, but then again I don't have a CV on hand to experiment with.

Thanks.

MMOCGuy

Craig also made a post on the old HTT site that had jetting recommendations for various engine configurations. Maybe he would be willing to post it again. (How about it Craig? :wink:).

With all I've said about it, I have to admit that I can't verify anything because my bike is still in the process of construction. I won't be installing my CV carb until I get the bike back together.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

76shuvlinoff

March 12, 2009, 06:35:13 PM #23 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:49:22 PM by 76shuvlinoff
I climbed up on the telephone pole, fired the old PC, oiled the spring, and fed the hamster.

enrichener out the other side

- Ernest Hemingway

76shuvlinoff

March 12, 2009, 06:44:20 PM #24 Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:46:45 PM by 76shuvlinoff
 using cv back plate, bolt on right lines up with support, one on left is just a dummy filling a hole

I can't believe I don't have a straight on shot of filter or 7" cover but here's one showing that it really doesn't interfere with my knee. This is the best I can do, hope it helps.

- Ernest Hemingway