April 27, 2024, 08:25:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

swapping carbs.

Started by ΚĜΗΟŜΤ, June 16, 2014, 05:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Just got girlfriend a 2003 883 with 2300 miles on it.
Wont run without the choke . No issue as I am going to fix it.

Question. Is the carb on the 883 a cv 40?

I have several later cv40's with internal venting as this on has the tube out the
bottom of the carb.
If it is a cv-40 I will swap all the jets andl needle to one of my newer models.

Thanks.
Member since 2004

dakota224

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I was just reveiwing the manaul. Several of the sporster models had the overflow tube attched
To the bottom of the bowl. Is there a specific reason why? Is ok to use a cv-40 with no over flow tube.
Is it a cary over from earlier/older cv's or is it needed?
Thanks
Member since 2004

Hossamania

The over flow tube is there to direct fuel to the ground instead of all over a hot motor should the needle and seat fail and overfills the float bowl.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Thanks and that is what I suspected.......but. Did they do away with this?
My carbed 88 inch twin cam and many many other dont have this.
So my question would be. Can I use a cv 40 without this over flow tube on the 883?
Member since 2004

dakota224

koko3052

yes! All "newer" models of the CV's have this deleted. Was meant to drain "overflow" from the bowl to ground.... instead of into the cyls or all over the engine.

Hossamania

I don't know when they changed, and I'm not sure how overflow is dealt with now on that style of carb. I guess I didn't really pay attention to the change between the two I've owned.
Either carb should work fine. It doesn't know if it's on a Sportster or big twin. As long as the jetting and needle are correct, you should be fine.
Double check your accelerator pump or just get a new diaphragm and spring. They're cheap.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Great thanks.
I have many spare parts including accelerator pump diaphrams.....and springs.
Just have to clean the jets and needles and confirm float settings.
I have about 5 spare cv 40's I have collected over the years. Two are for spare parts. One is a spare for my
Motor.the othet two are just incase....also got a hrs 42 and a cv44 for futur endevours...

Thanks again.
Member since 2004

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I could be wrong but I think the overflow goes back thru the accelerator pump nozzle.
The acc pump housing has two oringed holes on the Non overflow tube models.
The older model with the overflow tube only has one oringed hole.
Just a guess...
Member since 2004

Hossamania

That makes sense. Always wondered why some had one o-ring and others had two.

koko3052

The newer CV's also have the vacuum hose to the fuel valve. That's what opens & closes the valve.

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Yes the cv that came on the 883 also has the vacuum port so all is good
Thanks again.
Member since 2004

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Got it back together. All in spec. Installed and running great so far. Have not road tested yet.
Got to go back to work...hehehe.....
Member since 2004